Heads up: EFTPS now requires new login

Well, login.gov is not yet an option for logging into IRS website. My previous IRS login won't work. So, it looks like ID.me for me.

Well, that's interesting. I have never used the IRS site, but in case I ever want to, then it sounds like ID.me might be the best option.

I have a login.gov user.name and password that I created for Global Entry and for pay.gov. The latter is a website that accepts USFS payments for an HOA for which I am treasurer.

So...after reading this thread I try to log into my irs.gov account and it won't accept login.gov, only ID.me :facepalm:. I use the its.gov account to get my IP PIN for tax return filing purposes. So do I need ID.me also?

I needed an account with both as a retired federal employee. OPM wants login.gov and IRS wants ID.me. VA and EFTPS seem to allow either. Actually, VA has several accepted options.

I’ve had both login.gov and id.me accounts for a couple years. For me, both were easy to set up. I do realize some people have issues getting them, but not for me.

OK. I created and ID.me account, and logged into EFTPS. That's good.

BUT, all ID.me did was verify my email address. How is that making anything more secure?

I went ahead and created an ID.me account to access my IRS records. I had IRS.gov credentials but they no longer ask for those.

I had to provide all sorts of information after verifying my email address.

Last edited:
I went ahead and created an ID.me account to access my IRS records. I had IRS.gov credentials but they no longer ask for those.

I had to provide all sorts of information after verifying my email address.

Just tried to login to IRS.gov, and it asked me to verify additional Info. So it seems the level of ID required depends on the site you are using. I guess EFTPS has less stringent requirements.

Just tried to login to IRS.gov, and it asked me to verify additional Info. So it seems the level of ID required depends on the site you are using. I guess EFTPS has less stringent requirements.

I already had login.gov credentials I used to access EFTPS.

I think for EFTPS they are switching to the other platforms to do the 2FA, you still have to login to EFTPS afterwards.

A caution:
I established a id.me account some years ago, to apply for a Veterans Card. I didn't like uploading some of the information to a private company either, but I didn't really have an option if I wanted the Vet ID.
About a year ago, I started getting a lot of spam from id.me accounts, basically a lot of sales attempts. So I think you risk your data not just with a hack, but I suspect they sell it on.

Just a caution, in case you have other options.

Joe

Interesting info on the EFTPS website:
https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/direct/FAQGeneral.page#thirdParty
"How can I authenticate with ID.me or Login.gov without a cell phone?
You can update your authentication method to receive your one-time codes by phone call instead of text message or authenticator app.

You can also update your authentication method to receive a list of backup one-time codes to download or print. You will need to request a new list once each code has been used."

The whole thing is annoying. The common methods: authenticator app on browser, cell phone, land line. In these three cases if you lose a cell phone, change a phone number, or remove the browser you have to re-authenticate. That requires deleting the original account and re-authenticating. The safest method still seems to access the third party site from a computer rather any other device, so software can be stored and connection to the cloud can be established. Or,

you can ask for a list of one time codes - so no call back.

Or,
Call EFTPS and provide payment info over the phone.

I use authenticator - "Authy", it runs on phones, tablets, PCs, MACs, Linux. The database is shared between devices. Changing devices or browsers has no impact. Hope that helps people.

Yes, the entire Federal government is moving to 2FA. Some are using ID.ME or Login.GOV (GSA - Federal Government site) and others are rolling their own.

Maybe the IRS will allow access with login.gov in the future, but it looks like ID.me will be the only option this tax season.

Somewhat related question. As I will be on Medicare for a year or more before I collect Social Security, is ETFPS how I will pay for Medicare Part B?

Somewhat related question. As I will be on Medicare for a year or more before I collect Social Security, is ETFPS how I will pay for Medicare Part B?

No, EFTPS is only for Federal tax payments.

There are various ways to pay CMS Medicare for Medicare premiums including mailed check, bank billpay, online credit or debit card, and their Easy Pay system which drafts a checking account. Medicare.gov explains these options.

id.me is a well of despair for me, it has only ever locked me out due to error codes and doesn't seem to be something that can be resolved. Based on my perusal of internet commentary, MANY other people are in the same boat, and id.me doesn't really have customer service or a point of contact to try and resolve issues. Fortunately, you can still mail a check or use IRS direct pay https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Thanks for this heads up about this change. So a non-government person can create a login.gov account without uploading any biometric information?

The previous EFTPS login process seemed secure enough. I think I would mail a check before uploading a scan to ID.me. It is not like one is receiving money from EFTPS so I don't know who the government is trying to protect. That stanza from Arlo Guthrie's song "Alice's Restaurant" almost comes to mind, very loosely translated: "Sargeant (IRS) you got a lot of #*$ gall asking for my biometric information so that I can help fund your reckless spending...."

Thanks for this heads up about this change. So a non-government person can create a login.gov account without uploading any biometric information?

The previous EFTPS login process seemed secure enough. I think I would mail a check before uploading a scan to ID.me. It is not like one is receiving money from EFTPS so I don't know who the government is trying to protect. That stanza from Arlo Guthrie's song "Alice's Restaurant" almost comes to mind, very loosely translated: "Sargeant (IRS) you got a lot of #*$ gall asking for my biometric information so that I can help fund your reckless spending...."
It was painless enough to create a login.gov account, but as previously stated it did not change the EFTPS login process or payment steps. Seemed a little indirect and must rely on browser cookies to order the steps.

It was painless enough to create a login.gov account, but as previously stated it did not change the EFTPS login process or payment steps. Seemed a little indirect and must rely on browser cookies to order the steps.

As I said earlier, I created an ID.me account to regain access. All they did was verify my email address (which, of course the EFTPS system already did years ago). No other uploads. I tried it, and it works. You still login with your old EFTPS credentials.

As I said earlier, I created an ID.me account to regain access. All they did was verify my email address (which, of course the EFTPS system already did years ago). No other uploads. I tried it, and it works. You still login with your old EFTPS credentials.
Interesting, when searching online I saw references and pages at ID.me with requirements to upload a driver's license scan, make video call, etc. to establish some identity. Whereas login.gov only required an email address, making it appear less intrusive than ID.me.

Interesting, when searching online I saw references and pages at ID.me with requirements to upload a driver's license scan, make video call, etc. to establish some identity. Whereas login.gov only required an email address, making it appear less intrusive than ID.me.

I think it depends on the site you want to use it on. Some might require additional biometric data.

... For 2023 I used EFTPS to schedule federal estimated tax payments for my elderly mother. Looks like that won't be an option for 2024. ...

This is wrong. There is info on the EFTPS FAQ page that addresses this topic. A single ID.me account can be used to access multiple EFTPS accounts. I had no trouble getting into my mom's account and my dad's account as well as my account using my ID.me login. I don't know how long this flexibility is going to exist but hopefully it will last at least through 2024. :popcorn:

So today I look at my informed delivery email and see this: (below)

Oh no! I didn’t want a letter from the IRS! :eek:

It said “Thank you for using IRS Online Sevices…..” and referenced my recent sign-up with ID.me. It was to notify that the online account had been accessed and let me know what to do if that wasn’t me.

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one a little anxious.

Interestingly, the image in the informed delivery email was some anonymous stand-in IRS letter image. It was not an image of the actual letter I received which had a different shaped window and sender address.

Attachments

• mailer-1200330077.jpeg
    mailer-1200330077.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 9

It said “Thank you for using IRS Online Sevices…..” and referenced my recent sign-up with ID.me. It was to notify that the online account had been accessed and let me know what to do if that wasn’t me.

Interestingly, the image in the informed delivery email was some anonymous stand-in IRS letter image. It was not an image of the actual letter I received which had a different shaped window and sender address.

Thanks for the warning. While I'm certain I complied with the IRS recent BOGUS request (they said I didn't sign a 1041 tax return, the one I did for my FIL's estate). It was a simple filing for a 1099-INT received after everything was closed, so I just did a paper filing. But I have pictures of the forms and the stamped/addressed envelope before I sealed and mailed it, so I KNOW I signed it!

But I still fear another letter from them.

ALSO:
I've seen a few of those generic images show up, rather than an actual scan of what I received. I'm guessing some high volume mailers have a system set up with USPS to just sub the image if they read the barcode and know the to/from address.

-ERD50

I've seen a few of those generic images show up, rather than an actual scan of what I received. I'm guessing some high volume mailers have a system set up with USPS to just sub the image if they read the barcode and know the to/from address.

-ERD50
Yeah, I figured something like that.

Does anyone know if the EFTPS account goes inactive after a period of time? I tried to reset my password, but it says I don't have an active account to do that. I did a Quick Look at the FAQs, but didn't see one about inactivity.

Yes, I had an account go inactive. My account was inactive for 6+ years, so I don’t know what the cutoff was. They had no record of me, so had to start fresh.

Thank you for the heads up on the forthcoming letter from the IRS.

I also hate seeing those IRS letters on USPS Informed Delivery when I won't receive the actual mail for at least another 8 hours to see that it is something not related to my tax returns.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom