Health Share insurance alternative

Smallr

Confused about dryer sheets
Afternoon:

I just learned about a concept called "Health Share", a faith based organization insurance-like solution for health care.

What I know -(not a lot - looking for experiences from this community)
Requires Self Pay and providers that accept same
Health share reimburses approved expenses after ~$2000 deductible.
Monthly cost for family ~$400 for "coverage"
Has exclusions ( some faith based i.e. abortion - beyond that none seemed unreasonable for me, but that is clearly personal)
Share "pools" all coverage costs and pays "claims" from that pool or share
Company I reviewed was Liberty Health Share (libertyhealthshare.org)

Does anyone on the board have experience with these types of solutions?

Thanks in advance.

There have been a couple of lengthy threads on this topic. Here is one.

I think many believe they can be a viable option with a couple of caveats. First, can you qualify (religious affiliation, preexisting conditions, alcohol or tobacco use - conditions vary by plan)? Second, they are not "regulated insurance policies". So payments are not insured. Third, investigate the plan you are considering and probably stick with one that has a multi-year track record and solid financial footing.

We've been with Samaritan for a few years, we couldn't have asked for anything better.

https://samaritanministries.org/

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, my wife knows a lot more about them but I can give you a real good idea.

We've been using Liberty for about a year now. So far I would recommend them over UCA insurance (also called "ACA", but for us it's "Un"). If you're used to employer-based insurance, healthshare is not the same, but it's doable. PM me you have questions.

There have been a lot of threads on this. I would never, ever do this. Insurance is regulated and you have a lot of protections. This doesn't really give you that protection in the event of a serious, expensive illness.

There have been a lot of threads on this. I would never, ever do this. Insurance is regulated and you have a lot of protections. This doesn't really give you that protection in the event of a serious, expensive illness.

We all know how well government regulations work. :cool:

The last thing I want or need is more government regulation in my life.

Back
Top Bottom