Hello! Heading to the"Promise" land!

GSMAN

Recycles dryer sheets
Glad I found this great site. Thought I would introduce myself and give a little background. Like some of you folks here I have been thinking about ER for some time now. Having put my kids through 12 years of private school and now through college I feel the pressure is off somewhat. They are both married and doing great! I will be 52 in a couple of months and my target date is either 9/13 or 9/14. I am a finance director with an Aerospace company and my job will probably "go away" in the near term. My DW, who will also turn 52 will be working till 2015 at that time she will also ER. We have always lived below our means so we have been deligent savers and have managed to pay a couple of houses off and have no debt at all. We will both have decent pensions which we will start taking at 55 and the only major expense I see is health care for the both of us until Medicare kicks in. I am planning $1,000 for the monthly premiums for that expense. I have been trying to develop strategies on how I will withdraw funds from my investments to produce a steady and "safe" income stream. I do have a financial advisor that is still on "probation" but not totally relying on him. I have learned some valueable tips from the knowledgable folks on this forum and look forward to contributing as well.

As a side note, glad to "meet" folks who think alike. During my career people would look at me real strange when I would tell them about my plans to ER. They couldn't understand why I would leave such a great job! It's not going to be that hard! I won't miss the stress. Plan on being a part time fishing guide and drop the stress level! :)

Last edited:
Cool! (can't believe someone my age just said that...)

Welcome to the crew.

Welcome aboard, sounds like you're all set. I also appreciated finding some like minded LBYM and FI oriented folks here (also unlike anyone I know I worked with), and I've learned a lot here. Dive right in!

Cool! (can't believe someone my age just said that...)

Welcome to the crew.
You're allowed. I think the kids these days use "kewl" anyway so you're safe...;)

GSMAN, welcome to the forum. As you consider what is safe, don't forget to look at FIRECalc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom