Hello Snow birds trying to find a new flock

Kalm

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello I have been lurking on an off this website for a few months now and this is my first posting here so be gentle with me!:blush.

I am in my late 50's and recently retired 18 months ago from a 30 year career. My kids are grown and out of the nest. My fiancé (also retired) and I are snow birds and wondering how anyone has made new friends/community in this pandemic. We will be in our new seasonal home soon but I will be missing our friends and local community very much here. We are afraid to go out to bars and restaurants since we do not want to risk the exposure. How does one make friends and become part of a new community when everything is in lockdown and it is so hard to meet new people? :greetings10:

Hello I have been lurking on an off this website for a few months now and this is my first posting here so be gentle with me!:blush.

I am in my late 50's and recently retired 18 months ago from a 30 year career. My kids are grown and out of the nest. My fiancé (also retired) and I are snow birds and wondering how anyone has made new friends/community in this pandemic. We will be in our new seasonal home soon but I will be missing our friends and local community very much here. We are afraid to go out to bars and restaurants since we do not want to risk the exposure. How does one make friends and become part of a new community when everything is in lockdown and it is so hard to meet new people? :greetings10:

I live in an area with new people often moving in from out-of-state. What the extroverts do is they put out something similar to what you just posted on the NextDoor app.

We live in a modest-size 55+ community in Tucson. While our clubhouse is closed we have a large ramada where small groups can meet, masked and socially-distanced. We also started a Facebook group for park residents and that's been a great way to check in, share news and support, set up the occasional hike or walk, etc.

My experience is that the older ones will come snooping around, COVID or no COVID. Whether you care for that approach is up to you.

How does one make friends and become part of a new community when everything is in lockdown and it is so hard to meet new people? :greetings10:

We are snowbirds as well. We've met a lot of people while walking in the neighborhood and spending time at the neighborhood HOA beach and marina. Instead of meeting large groups of people at a time we tend to meet one or two at a time. People are still friendly and talkative. They just stay socially distanced during interactions.

We moved just over a year ago, and also found it difficult to make friends when you've quarantined yourself.

We finally found a good church that everyone is masked and very spread out due to having 3 services. And we're starting to make friends there. But no one's visiting each other in homes.

We do go to a restaurant every 2-3 weeks, but usually go mid afternoon when few people are around--masked and spread out. And we have to go to the grocery store, however I avoid the big box stores like they're one big petri dish.

Kalm,
We visit with people in our community while taking walks, and at the community pool. People are friendly, but everyone is keeping distance, because of covid, and we prefer that.

On a positive note, we are biking, walking and swimming most days. We have gone to a few outdoor farmers markets and art fairs. We are also busy updating our townhome to our liking. So we are being active, if not social.

If we were home in Minnesota, we would be inside cooking, reading and watching TV. Shoveling and going to the grocery store as needed. Most people are not gathering together too much back home, mostly with family.

Take care, JP

Kalm,

Welcome!

Join NextDoor (social media) for your new neighborhood.

Join meetup...and look for groups organizing walks, and other outdoor get-togethers.

Be friendly when you see neighbors.

Set up Zoom happy hours with your friends "back home".

etc.

omni

Retirees are some of the friendliest groups around. We are excited to be in this phase of our lives. Eager to meet new people. Nextdoor is a great place. I joined a book club that was doing Zoom and outdoor meets. We joined a weekly bocce ball group. It’s outdoors, they use sanitizers and gloves. A couple of the neighbor women go for walks and I occasionally join them. There’s still things to do even with the pandemic. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom