Help... for the blind through technology

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
I hesitate to open this discussion here, as it does not directly involve early retirement, unless you consider becoming blind... a cause for early retirement.
I have already done considerable research on this subject, unfortunately without finding an answer to the question. I know that many here are compassionate and understanding.

Here's the situation:
I have a dear friend who lives in our CCRC, who has been totally blind since age six. Despite this, I find him to be one of the smartest, wisest... perhaps most brilliant person I know. He worked for Hilton until his retirement at age 62, obviously a valued employee.

The conundrum... he is engaged in every activity possible for a sightless person, and lives independently in one of the apartments. He listens to the TV, and the radio, and receives audio books from one of the foundations.

Early on, he bought an amazon Echo and a Google home, and uses them to the extent he can utilize the features. We've worked together to learn many of the basics, but with 25,000 skills on Alexa, have not found a way for him to learn what is available, and how to use it. I thought perhaps, braille, but was informed that this has come into disuse, and is too slow for the technical information that is needed to navigate the devices.

Obviously, a verbal lesson series of classes would be the answer to helping to learn how to navigate the "skill" that you and I could click on and learn in a moment. Thusfar, I haven't been able to come up with any help. Surely in our advanced technological world, this cannot be out of the circle.

I'm hoping that there is something I missed. It's heartbreaking to see a person so able and accomplished to have to wait for what should be a given.

Many web sites discuss the advantages the new tech can play in making our lives better, but, none that I have found, addresses potential of opening up the world for the totally blind.

If you have any interest in helping... remember .... "blind"

Thanks, bob

The researchers were led by Rohit Varma, M.D., director of the University of Southern California’s Roski Eye Institute, Los Angeles, and published their analysis May 19th in JAMA Ophthalmology. They estimate that 1 million Americans were legally blind (20/200 vision or worse) in 2015. Having 20/200 vision means that for clear vision, you would have to be 20 feet or closer to an object that a person with normal vision could see from 200 feet away.

Last edited:
Does your friend have a screen reader for his computer? There is a thread on reddit where one of the users says that the Alexa site is accessible with screen readers. If this doesn't work for him, I would definitely raise the issue to Amazon/Alexa customer service.

Here's the link to the reddit thread on r/amazonecho; I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post such links here. If not, mods please edit/remove:
https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho...alexa_for_the_blind_visually_impaired_useful/

Every state has the department of rehabilitation which is mostly federally funded. Within this program are services to the blind. Most services are job related but they also have other services for the blind. When I worked there we provided a variety of services such as mobility training, marking your kitchen etc so the person could find things in the kitchen and use their stove safely. I am retired but I would start with them for assistance. JAWS is a computer program for the blind that talks to the person. Good luck!

I would check directly with some of the agencies for the Blind:

https://www.blindness.org/

www.afb.org

Asking here is a wonderful idea; contacting these agencies directly would likely be very productive. I would think that either they can help or better direct you.

Good luck !

Rich

Not sure about the services mentioned by Rich but Services to the Blind through Vocational Rehabilitation are free because our taxes pay for them.

Thanks for the links, and to Dash man for the PM. Am sure that we'll have a good meeting to go over the possibilities.
It's a feel good to know that people care.:flowers:

Did you know Alexa can read Kindle books? They don't have to be audible books, just any Kindle book.

Two links were instructional for me understanding the need. Rather than trying to conquer the thousands of skills, it usually helps to get one success in hand, and move on from there.

The first link explains the problem from perspective of blind person and helper.
Alexa Is a Revelation for the Blind
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/05/what-alexa-taught-my-father/556874/

Second link points to a youtube channel that features how one person works with technology. Very interesting subject. He covers how his family uses a 3rd party app for lists, rather than built-in Alexa app. 3rd party app, even free version, instantly updates on all devices his family of four uses.
Favorite Amazon Echo "Alexa" Skills & Features - The Blind Life

You can create your own list names now for Alexa. If he wants to remember the commands he uses for a particular skill, someone can type in the commands he uses as list items and name the list the name of the skill.

Alexa, read my Stitcher list

Here's The Thing
This American Life

Alexa, tell Stitcher to play This American Life
---------------
Alexa, what are my skills?

Gives you a list and description of what you have installed

Back
Top Bottom