Help Me Identify This Snake

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This guy is mortally wounded having wrapped itself in the hose reel being rewound. I’d guess 3 ft. Central MD. IMG_1547.JPG

Looks like the Buttermilk Racer that was living in my yard earlier this Spring. But there are lots of different snakes depending where you live.

It's beneficial. Sadly, the good snakes always seem to get in trouble. I caught a black snake in netting last year and have changed my gardening practices to avoid accidentally snaring snakes .

Funny, nobody ever accidentally snares copperheads around here.

DW is not keen on them but I am a live and let live creature as much as possible. They help control all sorts of things that are troublesome.
I'd only be for eradicating those invasive pythons in FL. Those things are nuts.

It's beneficial. Sadly, the good snakes always seem to get in trouble. I caught a black snake in netting last year and have changed my gardening practices to avoid accidentally snaring snakes .

DW put down garden netting to hold mulch in place on a sloped landscape area (very effective BTW), and we immediately “caught” 4 Black Racers. Basically harmless snakes we didn’t want to harm. :(

DW put down garden netting to hold mulch in place on a sloped landscape area (very effective BTW), and we immediately “caught” 4 Black Racers. Basically harmless snakes we didn’t want to harm. :(

Yes, that was almost exactly my experience. I put the mesh netting down close to the ground to stop squirrels from digging new seeded areas.

I have now switched to wire mesh: either poultry netting or hardware cloth. It is less flexible and more expensive, especially the hardware cloth. But it doesn't trap snakes. I still use the flex net when it is raised above the ground.

The poor snakes accidentally work their way through the flexible mesh and then it closes in on their scales where they can't back out. It is horrible for them. After this happened to me I did an internet search and found out that snake lovers consider this mesh to be the spawn of satan and basically want it banned. I understand why.

When I had 4'X8' raised bed gardens I found the same size vinyl lattice panels on top of mulch worked quite well and gave you spacing holes to help plant seeds or transplants.

Cheers!

So true - we have tons of copperheads and I haven't seen a single one snared in any fencing (seen plenty of garter snakes stuck). They do get run over occasionally when crossing the street though.

Beneficial? Maybe, but they are not doing a good job of getting rid of the skinks.

Back
Top Bottom