Help Me Out - What Can I Do When I Retire?

Hi All

So I can retire any day now but will stick it out for a few more years more to pump up post-retirement benefits in terms of health care and pension.

I'll be in my early 50's so want to continue to do meaningful work to keep me sharp and grounded.

So what do people suggest?

I don't want a full time job but 5,10,15 hours a week would be great.

My background is:

a) PhD in Computer Science
b) 5 years experience in Silicon Valley in the 2000's
c) Last 15 years in Academia
d) Live in CA but can/may move
e) Lots of experience giving presentations, managing a small team of students
f) I can teach well but am not a natural.
g) I have hobbies (biking, golf, investing) but nothing that's something I want to do each and every day.
h) My job involved lots of travel so I will travel but not that much.

Consider learning manderin and live in china for the following reasons:
1. Low housing costs if you stay away from 1st tier cities such as Shanghai.
2. Low crime and no guns.
3. Excellent night life.
4. Low medical cost.
5. Some chinese speak english.
6. Great transportation system and signs and announcements are in english.
7. Easy to get a job teaching english.
8. Ex pats and chinese are happier than living in other countries.
9. Great food.
10. Cashless system using your phone.

The only problem is no political freedom but personal freedom and high standard of living are better. Watch youtube videos about Americans living in China.

Consider learning manderin and live in china for the following reasons:
1. Low housing costs if you stay away from 1st tier cities such as Shanghai.
2. Low crime and no guns.
3. Excellent night life.
4. Low medical cost.
5. Some chinese speak english.
6. Great transportation system and signs and announcements are in english.
7. Easy to get a job teaching english.
8. Ex pats and chinese are happier than living in other countries.
9. Great food.
10. Cashless system using your phone.

The only problem is no political freedom but personal freedom and high standard of living are better. Watch youtube videos about Americans living in China.
I knew some who took a temp foreign job in Shanghai. The air pollution is so bad their hands and face were covered with soot during the day while outside.

I knew some who took a temp foreign job in Shanghai. The air pollution is so bad their hands and face were covered with soot during the day while outside.

That may be true years ago. Nearly everyone in Shanghai is driving electric cars because it cost $12,000 in US dollars to register a gasoline car in Shanghai. China is changing RAPIDLY. What may be true yesterday may no longer be true today.

Click https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0406-7

While it is true that air pollution is still worst than the USA but China is now reducing the air pollution at a rapid pace and people's hands and face are not covered in soot while being outside. The only way to determine the truth is to visit Shanghai yourself.

I’m basically reliving my youth now that I’m retired.

In my teens and very early 20’s I was an aspiring athlete. That was set aside at age 23 when I graduated from university, started my career and then a family.

So after retirement Spring of 2020 … at age 57 … got serious about competitive amateur athletics again. Have been training like crazy and racing either mountain bikes or this intense format called cyclocross a few times a month since retirement.

Love the addictive adrenaline rush of a good competitive race and when everything aligns just right, that end of race sprint for position at the finish line. Makes me feel like a kid again.

I’m basically reliving my youth now that I’m retired.

In my teens and very early 20’s I was an aspiring athlete. That was set aside at age 23 when I graduated from university, started my career and then a family.

So after retirement Spring of 2020 … at age 57 … got serious about competitive amateur athletics again. Have been training like crazy and racing either mountain bikes or this intense format called cyclocross a few times a month since retirement.

Love the addictive adrenaline rush of a good competitive race and when everything aligns just right, that end of race sprint for position at the finish line. Makes me feel like a kid again.

That's an interesting take - to return to one's youth passion. I find myself in the same boat but far from the athletic end of the spectrum. I always liked learning. I loved school and I tried to be a sponge whenever there was an opportunity to learn something new - whether useful or just interesting.

Most of my "learning" for almost 40 years was either in preparation for or maintenance of my j*b. I sort of set the joy-of-learning aside during that period. Now, though I'm not interested in attending a university as some do in retirement, I read or browse the internet to learn new things.

I'll see a word (heh, heh, just looked up the term "banana belt" due to the thread on 'I Don't Know Where to Retire' and realized I already knew the concept but had never heard it described in that fashion.) Can't wait to use the term and see the stunned faces - or not.:facepalm:

Passion in retirement is the one thing I would advise folks to seek - whatever that passion is because YMMV.

That may be true years ago. Nearly everyone in Shanghai is driving electric cars because it cost $12,000 in US dollars to register a gasoline car in Shanghai. China is changing RAPIDLY. What may be true yesterday may no longer be true today.

Click https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0406-7

While it is true that air pollution is still worst than the USA but China is now reducing the air pollution at a rapid pace and people's hands and face are not covered in soot while being outside. The only way to determine the truth is to visit Shanghai yourself.
That was 5 years ago. The air quality was black like smoke. Caused by cars, factories and construction

That was 5 years ago. The air quality was black like smoke. Caused by cars, factories and construction

Recent photo of my daughter in Shanghai wearing white. Does not appear that she is covered in soot. The sky also looks blue with white clouds just before nightfall. Situation is similar to Los Angeles which had a reputation of being smoggy ...but cleaner cars in California have minimized the smog. BTW Tesla electric large cargo trucks will have a huge market in China which is why Elon Musk states "China rocks" because China is adopting electric vehicles faster than USA.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 17
Recent photo of my daughter in Shanghai wearing white. Does not appear that she is covered in soot. The sky also looks blue with white clouds just before nightfall. Situation is similar to Los Angeles which had a reputation of being smoggy ...but cleaner cars in California have minimized the smog. BTW Tesla electric large cargo trucks will have a huge market in China which is why Elon Musk states "China rocks" because China is adopting electric vehicles faster than USA.
One of the worst air pollution Shanghai endured was when the Northern Sand storms hit this March 2021 adding to the air pollution from cars, factories and ongoing construction.

I'm sure EM knows that China is still building coal-fire power plants, many more of which will be required to power Teslas and other electric vehicles. Not sure that's a "Rock" or a "Roll" but YMMV

Back
Top Bottom