Help on Speakers

As far as tv speakers are concerned I hooked up a couple of JBL bookshelf speakers through my old receiver and connected to my Samsung tv. Had a little trouble getting it all connected(old thread here somewhere) but it works well and has a good sound.

Unrelated... but I recently bought a JBL Charge 3 bluetooth speaker for my beach condo. That little unit sounds great. An 8.5" long cylinder but delivers a big sound with good bass. Bose and the rest may have something better, but for just $120..... has a darn good sound.

Staying at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale this week and the room has a Bose soundbar mounted under the TV and it sounds really good. Doesn't take up much room either, maybe 2' long and 3" tall.

Sound on TV in living room has not been good. To hear voices, you have to turn sound up so that background noises are too loud. So years ago, we purchased a receiver and a 5.1 speaker system. Still did not fix problem but it was better. Most voice is through the center speaker. We have adjusted the center speaker volume to max. In late 2016 we purchased "big ole 4k monster 55" TV". Sound was no better, even with receiver and 5.1. Purchased a sound bar made by TV manufacturer. Did not help. I am returning sound bar today.

Temporarily, we moved TV to a smaller room and sound is great, even though I am only using TV speakers. So, I began thinking that our normal room of about 250 square feet (2,500 cubic feet) was the problem. Read about how furniture and placement of speakers can be a problem.

Here are the stats:
  • TV speakers are 20W
  • Receiver can handle 90W per channel. A combined 540W
  • 5.1 speakers are 50W each with frequency response of 175-20kHZ. Human ear can hear 20-20kHZ.
  • Sound Bar, which I am returning is 300W. I could purchase some rear speakers that work with sound bar. That would add 120W

After doing some research, I think the problem is that the room needs power and the frequency response of the speakers is terrible. I think that the overall power of the receiver is possibly OK. Receiver is 12 years old. Speakers are 9. Receiver cost $200. Speakers less.

So my plan is to replace the 5.1 speakers with better more powerful ones. If that doesn't fix it, replace the receiver.

Please note that some places have systems costing thousands. I want to spend a few hundred. After all I am a retired guy, living on .....

My questions to you: Does this sound like a reasonable approach? All equipment was purchased at a big box electronics store. I plan on talking to folks at this big box store and buying replacement speakers there. Any other store recommendations?

New living room is ready, so we began experimenting. The inexpensive, 12 year old receiver does a good job so it stays. For the 2 front speakers, we used my old Technics but hid them in the entertainment center (had to take the entertainment center lid off). We trashed the old subwoofer and center speaker. Put the 4 old surround speakers in the back. Purchased an $80 Polk center speaker from Crutchfield. And arriving today is the ultra compact Yamaha ($249) that fits in one of the horizontal shelves of the entertainment center. It was one of the only subwoofers that fits in a 7"H x 19"W x 20"D shelf.

Overall sound is great. Having a decent center speaker for voices made the biggest difference.

DW is currently listening to her favorite - Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls".

Congrats! Certainly do not have to spend a lot (Or often) to have a nice sounding system. My system on main level has great JBL apeakers-not cheap at the time but I think I bought them in 1994. So they have lasted.

The basement system has Energy speakers and they have been really good too. Probably 15 years old now. Receivers die from time to time. I try to keep them same brand-less confusing.

Enjoy your system.

Back
Top Bottom