Hi ... First Post Here

vpi78

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, this is my first post here and I'm not that sure of protocols, e.g., is this the right section.

I'm 62 years old and retired in Thailand, actually I tend to spend half my time in Thailand and the other 90% (as Yogi might say) in Texas.

I'd be interested in exchanging views with anyone interested in the pros/cons/realities of a retirement/planning/execution of such a split retirement in two different continents, and specifically Asia/North America pairs.

Welcome! how long have you been living this double life? Do you have a spouse and family in each location? ( Kidding :) )

I've been thinking about "snow birding" and rather than choosing Florida, choosing something like Mexico or Panama for the winter months - I guess I should expand my possibilites.

Welcome! how long have you been living this double life? Do you have a spouse and family in each location? ( Kidding :) )

About a dozen years. I have a small, 54 rai which is more or less about 22 acres farm raising various crops in Thailand and help manage a small family ranch where we raise Longhorns in Texas.

welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing more about you.
Its a great place to learn and share!
There are quite a few folks who live outside the US who post here.

That's quite the active retirement, ranching and farming. It sounds interesting.

That's quite the active retirement, ranching and farming. It sounds interesting.

I like it; suits me.

Similar to getting old; it's not for sissies but it's never boring.

Living in Northern Thailand (Loei Province along the Mekong) reminds me of growing up in Texas in the late 60s; in respect to the Thais are very much a do whatever you want to do type of society as long as it doesn't harm others.

There's very little virtue signaling other than making merit; and there is a lot of that.

I appreciate you sharing it. We are soon to retire ourselves and always open to different thinking and experiences.

Would love to hear more from you. Why did you choose Thailand, how do you like living there and being so far away from home, how often do you see family, the distance to travel does that dissuade you, observations as a gringo in a foreign land, etc. I am seriously thinking of spending half the year in Mexico and will be heading there soon to explore different places. I chose Mexico solely for its proximity to the US and the ease of living so close to home.

Would love to hear more from you. Why did you choose Thailand, how do you like living there and being so far away from home, how often do you see family, the distance to travel does that dissuade you, observations as a gringo in a foreign land, etc. I am seriously thinking of spending half the year in Mexico and will be heading there soon to explore different places. I chose Mexico solely for its proximity to the US and the ease of living so close to home.

I worked in the Middle East for decades and was often in Thailand on RnRs. So I know the place well.

One RnR I visited a guy I once worked with in Saudi Arabia who retired in Loei and over the course of a few days of that visit, he convinced me to buy his place out ... he said the place was becoming too crowded for him and he left for the wilds of Laos. Never heard from him again.

I considered Mexico but the crime/drugs turned me off. There is of course crime/drugs just about everywhere, including SE Asia, but it just isn't anything like what MSM like to portray it.

II considered Mexico but the crime/drugs turned me off. There is of course crime/drugs just about everywhere, including SE Asia, but it just isn't anything like what MSM like to portray it.

I suspect the same is true of Mexico. It’s kind o like the way foreigners view the US - war zone with sick and dying people outside hospitals.

I suspect the same is true of Mexico. It’s kind o like the way foreigners view the US - war zone with sick and dying people outside hospitals.

Not to mention everyone hates everyone else who is "different" in any way. Obviously, only bad news sells, so that's what we get.

But, regarding topic on the table: We spend 3 or 4 months on the mainland (midwest) and the remaining 90% of the time :facepalm: :LOL: :cool: on Oahu. Of course, we don't actually "do" anything like OP. Sounds like w*rk to me!

But as far as spending time in two places, there are issues: Travel gets more problematic as one ages. Just keeping our car(s) registered and inspected can be problematic. Having our places "baby sat" while we're gone. Getting mail (the most important stuff will not be forwarded!!) So we keep a PO box and the "baby sitter" forwards stuff occasionally in a big envelope.

Oh, and doctor appointments. Had one doc flabbergasted when I told him I wouldn't be around when he wanted me to get my next round of blood tests. I told him that where I live during the summer is very backward and uncivilized :LOL: but they do actually do blood tests there.

Most issues are simply nuisance stuff but they can be wearing until you figure them out. No gummint gives a cwap about your little problems. You figure it out with out their help. But, all in all, it's been a good life though YMMV.

Not to mention everyone hates everyone else who is "different" in any way. Obviously, only bad news sells, so that's what we get.

But, regarding topic on the table: We spend 3 or 4 months on the mainland (midwest) and the remaining 90% of the time :facepalm: :LOL: :cool: on Oahu. Of course, we don't actually "do" anything like OP. Sounds like w*rk to me!

But as far as spending time in two places, there are issues: Travel gets more problematic as one ages. Just keeping our car(s) registered and inspected can be problematic. Having our places "baby sat" while we're gone. Getting mail (the most important stuff will not be forwarded!!) So we keep a PO box and the "baby sitter" forwards stuff occasionally in a big envelope.

Oh, and doctor appointments. Had one doc flabbergasted when I told him I wouldn't be around when he wanted me to get my next round of blood tests. I told him that where I live during the summer is very backward and uncivilized :LOL: but they do actually do blood tests there.

Most issues are simply nuisance stuff but they can be wearing until you figure them out. No gummint gives a cwap about your little problems. You figure it out with out their help. But, all in all, it's been a good life though YMMV.

I simplify everything I can as soon as I can, so go minimalist as far as 'overheads' for my US crib which is what i consider the Texas pad these days. Where I am in the Republic of Texas the Cops look the other way when ATVs and Golf Carts are on the roads ... so I don't need much in the way of vehicles in the US. Electronic banking, and electronic everything else means I don't get much in the way of old school mail other than unsolicited offers to buy my crib.

In Thailand, a rule of thumb measure I use as a 'go by' is that when I recognize I'm 'driving like a Thai' ... time to head back to the US and recalibrate.

Managing two locations is definitely something I’ve thought about and how difficult it will be as we age. I also wonder if I even want to make a trek back and forth. I think that can get old and tiring real fast but I still have a rental business I would need to attend to. I still haven’t figured out mail stuff.

In Thailand, a rule of thumb measure I use as a 'go by' is that when I recognize I'm 'driving like a Thai' ... time to head back to the US and recalibrate.

According to the recent accident and traffic infraction stats, folks here must be driving like a Thai so you should feel right at home! YMMV

Back
Top Bottom