Hi!

theronware said:
Gosh, Nords.
For one moment there, I thought you actually got it.  Less is more.  Step back and don't feel the need to occupy all the board space that you possibly can, and let others "own" it as much as you.  Nope. You were off surfing rather than intentionally maintaining a low profile.
Sorry you feel that way, Theronware.  I've been assured that Dory has enough server space to support both of us... probably even all of us.  Golly, maybe he even used some of my financial contributions to support that goal.

theronware said:
"Sea story time.  At one point in my career..."
This is my point.  Your stories are all about YOU and completely irrelevant to the issues at hand.  See SamClem's and Virgina's posts above for an example of someone who has had similar experiences to Matt and post entirely helpful and non self-promoting responses.  You can take those kinds of posts as my answer to your request for "specific hints to lighten up a moderator's touch".
I'm writing about what I know, and I certainly have a lot of credibility on that topic!  I've also owned rental real estate while transferring to different duty stations, and I've posted about that before.  This time, instead of reciting our previous tales of woe with rental real estate, I chose to tell Matt the tales of others I've known who've had varying degrees of success.

Let's see.  If I discuss my own real estate experiences then I'm irrelevant & self-promoting.  When Samclem & Virginia discuss their own real estate experiences then they're being helpful and non-self-promoting.  If I talk about others' real estate experiences then I'm occupying too much board space.  Thanks for your analogy answer, although I have to admit that I need a little help getting out of this logic box.

I believe one of the most common elements of success among landlords is their ability to be on the scene.  Paying property managers or dropping in once in a while is really hard, especially when you add in a military routine and several time zones.  Under those circumstances an appropriately-valued REIT is probably a better deal, something that just wasn't easily available when I was at the point in my career Matt is at now.

theronware said:
"So, theronware, what's your...experience with "sticking it out until retirement"?  Would Matt (and the rest of us) benefit from hearing about it?"
I retired at age 41 after 15 years as a college professor.  I got there by LBYM -- , my partner and I lived on one of our salaries and saved the other.  We also invested in in DC real estate when it was very cheap and then sold it all last year when the market had reached its frothy top.
It sounds like you've managed to be a landlord on the scene as well.  My FIL (and a lot of other guys at CBS) did something similar in the Georgetown & Crofton areas in the '70s & '80s.  They were all glad they were landlords in the area.

I also notice that now you have 50% of your posts on topics other than criticizing my apparent board dominance.  You're likely to be far more successful than me at reducing the percentage of a poster's posts about me!  Feel free to send me or Dory a PM or an e-mail if you don't want to post it on the board. 

But if there's not enough room for the two of us, FWIW I've quit posting at all M* boards and at Greaney's ER board.  I don't belong to anything at TMF.  I still post occasionally at Raddr's board but probably only once or twice a week.  So you still have a chance to find a home at ER discussion boards where I won't intrude. 

Now I'm gonna have to go read up on Theron...

Martha:

Yes, I did pick my name from that book!   Not too many people know that novel!  I actually wrote a chapter on it in my (one and only) published book (ok, so i'm not above a little self-promotion myself).  I am tickled that you picked up the reference.   

Nords:

Thanks for the heads up on  the other ER boards, some of which I do frequent.  But I think I'll stick around here too.  M* boards tend to get a trifle dry.

Theronware

Now I'm gonna have to go read up on Theron...

Or just look at the pictures... :p

Attachments

• charlize-theron02.jpg
    charlize-theron02.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 88
  • charlize-theron02.jpg_thumb
    32.7 KB · Views: 2
theronware,

Not seeing how Nords went heavy handed, his post seems completely tepid! Did he use a phrase that triggered a bad memory or something? Nords is retired military, don't you think that's a relevant to some one who's thinking of being retired military?

As moderators we are running about 50/50 on complaints, either "you do too much!" or "you don't do enough!". Sounds about right.

In any case, welcome to both of you and keep posting! :)

theronware, I'm not sure why you have such a hard-on for Nords, but you might spend a leetle more time actually contributing to the board and a leetle less time bitching about moderators. Just a friendly, helpful suggestion.

And for the record, I like the sea stories, too. I had a colleague at my last job who was a (surface) naval officer who had some hysterical sea stories to tell...

I guess I'd like to put in my $.02 worth.

I enjoy Nords' contributions to the board and his sea stories. The ones that ramble on too long are easily dealt with--I skim or skip them. This is a highly personal thing and the vast majority of the time I don't feel that way and has more to do with my mood at the time or my personal situation. If Nords wants to take the time to set down his experiences in that kind of detail, I think he should be encouraged. Not just Nords, but anyone.

In no way did I read his initial response as negative. I thought it was very sane advice, and, coincidently, advice that has relevance to my current situation and thoughts.

I have no problem if people respectfully confront each other on this board, but I find it curious when someone appears out of the blue to do so when they have never had anything else to say. Pretty low on my crediibility scale. Yes, I'm talking about you, Theronware.

And finally, if the moderators can figure out how to deal with Max, I say go for it! I got suckered into an exchange with him and have vowed never to respond to any of his posts again. I have started a couple times, only to delete the response. I don't always agree with everyone here, and have had words with a couple. I don't care if the discussion gets a bit heated or sarcastic, but when it crosses the line into abusive I hope to have the self-discipline to just shut up and bail out.

bosco said:
And finally, if the moderators can figure out how to deal with Max, I say go for it!  I got suckered into an exchange with him and have vowed never to respond to any of his posts again.  I have started a couple times, only to delete the response.  I don't always agree with everyone here, and have had words with a couple.  I don't care if the discussion gets a bit heated or sarcastic, but when it crosses the line into abusive I hope to have the self-discipline to just shut up and bail out. 

I have to pile on here.  Time to get rid of that abusive, obnoxious troll.  Never adds anything but discord and aggravation.  Moving on up to close in on h-0-5-u-c in my book.

Get out the tar and feathers, boys.  And I wanna pitch cap him!

theronware said:
Nords--

Aren't you supposed to be the moderator of this board rather than the heavy handed naysayer?
This is only my second post but I've been reading diligently for the last six months. And I've gotten to the point where I wonder where on earth you're coming from in response to some of the new posters.
Theronware

Being a modirator does not preclude you from offering you input. I think Nords knows of what he speaks. Also, the time and effort he puts into his posts is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom