High salary vs. High cost of living article

Have Funds said:
This somewhat reinforces my pov; you cannot count the equity in your house as part of your retirement portfolio (aside from having low or no mortgage payments), unless you plan to cash out. I suppose you could also do a heloc, second mortgage, reverse mortgage, but going further into debt is anathema to most on this board.

Or sell and rent in the same area...depending on the disparity of rents and home prices.

I could sell my house for ~$400k and rent a similar floorplan within rock throwing distance for ~$1200 a month.

Thats a pretty good plan "b"...or at least a very pleasant plan "c" or "d".

You dont know me said:
Or sell and rent in the same area...depending on the disparity of rents and home prices.

I could sell my house for ~$400k and rent a similar floorplan within rock throwing distance for ~$1200 a month.

Thats a pretty good plan "b"...or at least a very pleasant plan "c" or "d".

I have seriously considered this, i.e. selling and then renting in the same area.
However, with a smoker and 4 dogs, finding a place to rent is difficult.
Besides, we like it where we are. Waterfront, good neighbors, nice view,
right size, good fishing, etc. Nope, guess we will stay put for a while.
If only it wasn't in Illinois :)

JG

Laurence,

Assuming that you can call some places generally more "desirable" than others, it seems self evident that more desirable locations will give you less bang for the buck.   If folks are naturally going to gravitate to some locations over others, it stands to reason that it will also skew the compensation/cost-of-living ratio. Employers will not pay more than they have to.  My take on the bottom ten and top ten lists as that they roughly reflect places I wouldn't mind living, and places that I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

On a slight tangent, is it axiomatic that the amount of rhapsodizing by local natives about a particular location is inversely proportional to its general appeal? 

tozz

tozz said:
Laurence,

On a slight tangent, is it axiomatic that the amount of rhapsodizing by local natives about a particular location is inversely proportional to its general appeal?

tozz

LOL! I think you're on to something. :)

tozz said:
Laurence,

tozz

Man that UP of Michigan, now that is the place! Lets try to keep it hidden and maybe it'll catch on.

Lets see, in addition to the fall, winter and spring seasons, there are the black fly season, the mosquito season, the deer fly season and a few others.....

yakers said:
Man that UP of Michigan, now that is the place! Lets try to keep it hidden and maybe it'll catch on.

Lets see, in addition to the fall, winter and spring seasons, there are the black fly season, the mosquito season, the deer fly season and a few others.....

Yeah, but northern Minn. and northern Wisc. are the same. I would often be bit by critters for which we had no name. Minn. and Wisc. (the cities at least) are liberal
enclaves. I prefer black flies, deer flies, and mosquitos.

JG

Back
Top Bottom