home computer security SW?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am looking for good internet security/anti-virus SW for home use. We have two WIN PCs and one MAC in the house.

I'd like to buy one license that can work with WIN10, WIN11, and MacOS.

Any good recommendations out there? Any good stories or advice?

They all look good when you check out web sites. Right now, my top contenders are Norton 360 and Bitdefender.

My two WIN machines came with 1 year of McAffee but, they timed out.

thx

I've been using Webroot for about 20 years. Have no problems with it. And I haven't been hit with anything computerologically dangerous virus wise.

Windows comes with a decent antivirus built in , so we don't bother, just set it to scan every day.
We do use the free Malwarebytes on Windows machine as well, it can find some non-virus issues.

Ditto what Sunset said. Most tech sources I have read say the built in Windows security is good enough. I always had problems with bloated packages like McAffee conflicting with other software and causing problems. I haven't had any serious problems (that I am aware of) in 20+ years using the built in security software.

The key is to avoid various phishing schemes. If you click on the wrong link you may be screwed whichever security package you use.

First one should keep one's computer software up to date and make sure your router is secure (update to date firmware).

I use Windows Defender, just the standard package. Also have a subscription to Malwarebytes for a bit more peace of mind.

Avast free antivirus. It's very good, Spending money just gets you bloated.

Don't go where you shouldn't.
Don't click on links you shouldn't. Be diligent.
Keep it backed up.

I can't speak for windows based machines, but I bought my first iMac directly from Apple in May 2008. The hard drive failed in November 2018. Never used or purchased any additional security software. Same for the replacement iMac I purchased from Best Buy in November 2018.

Honestly, there is no need to have third-party anti-virus software on macOS.

If you want to read more about Apple’s macOS protection approach, see

Protecting against malware in macOS

Basically, macOS uses a three layer system:

1. Prevent launch or execution of malware: App Store, or Gatekeeper combined with Notarization
  2. Block malware from running on customer systems: Gatekeeper, Notarization, and XProtect
  3. Remediate malware that has executed: XProtect
Always keep your Mac updated and only install apps using the App Store and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Windows Defender...

OP here .....
I have had Windows Defender on for awhile but, I have been hit with some phishing and attempts at getting into my pc. I am very cautious so I didn't fall for the hooks but .... I think I need a bit more.

Phishing comes through email. Everybody gets those. They aren't too hard to avoid. If you don't click it, you don't get compromised.

Not sure how you're detecting attempts to get into your pc, unless you're scanning logs and seeing incoming traffic. Are you sure about your problem?

Check with your ISP. They may provide free security software. I have Spectrum and they provide the F-secure suite free for up too (I think) 10 computers. Until last fall it was McAfee that they provided for free.

Regarding attempts to hack in, those are also common. I scan my router logs every day and there are usually a couple of dozen blocked attempts. The key point being they were blocked.

Check with your ISP. They may provide free security software. I have Spectrum and they provide the F-secure suite free for up too (I think) 10 computers. Until last fall it was McAfee that they provided for free.

Regarding attempts to hack in, those are also common. I scan my router logs every day and there are usually a couple of dozen blocked attempts. The key point being they were blocked.

Back when I was working network security (many years ago now), we'd (Fortune 100 Mega) get hundreds (if not more) scans against our systems every day. As SecondAttempt says, as long as they don't get in, there's no real issue. That's what a firewall is for. You have one built in in Windows, and it works pretty well.

If you want additional free software, I use AVG for antivirus, and Malwarebytes to scan for rootkits and such. Avast is good too, but truly Windows Defender does a fine job. I just run the others out of habit, since for many years the built-in Windows security sucked. But it's gotten better.

If I was super paranoid and running Windows I would use Virtualbox and run a Linux distro inside of it for any Internet stuff. Better yet have a dedicated VM just for your financial stuff.

I only have PC,but have used MS Defender and make sure that it is updated automatically.
Also use Firefox browser with Ublock Orgin and HTTPS everywhere extentions enabled.
About every 4 to 6 weeks I do a free scan with Malwarebytes and Super antispyware (free editions), once in a while Super antispyware will find one or 2 tracking cookies and will delete them. About 4 years ago Malware bytes found a browser redirector virus and it was quarantined and deleted. I have also use Avast free on our laptop and on a tablet. The free versions of Avira, Avast or Bitdefender are also fine.

Back
Top Bottom