Home Theater Enthusiasts--Best Movies for Sound Effects?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you've got a home theater system please list some of the movies that you've found to be especially immersive for the sound effects and sound editing.

I bring this up because I watched "3:10 to Yuma" (2007) last night and the sounds of horses galloping, a gatling gun roaring, shotguns blasting and pistols firing, along with the ricochets, was an incredible auditory experience. Bullets flying across the screen could be heard z-z-z-ipping across the screen. At the end of the movie an old steam-powered locomotive pulls into a railroad station and it sounds amazing. The movie itself is excellent, and I'm not a big fan of westerns.

Another movie that comes to mind is "6 Underground", an over-the-top action flick filled with chase scenes, explosions, gunfire, airplanes, helicopters, etc. The sound effects and sound editing really puts you in the middle of the action.

Anybody else got any movies that have really wowed you with the sound track?

The "Lord of The Rings" series movies have always been my favorites to let thump on a good 5.1/2 or 7.1/2 system.

The early scene of Guardians of the Galaxy where he lands on the planet
The Wembley Stadium scene at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody

Pretty cool on a 5.1 system, amazing on a 7.1 Atmos system

I would guess the beginning (and end?) of Saving Private Ryan is pretty good, auditorily.

Stargate. When the pyramid starts grinding, a good subwoofer will shake the house.

I would guess the beginning (and end?) of Saving Private Ryan is pretty good, auditorily.

Especially the beginning. I was exhausted even in the movie theater.

Lord of the Rings-Cave Troll Scene (Fighting, swinging the chain, goes around the room).
U-571 - good movie, and the main depth charge scene sounds great
Star Wars - Can't remember which one, young Boba Fett getting chased into asteroid field.
The explosions will rattle your windows.

I'll try to post more as I remember them.

Apollo 13? Saw it in the theater, nothing like a Saturn 5 taking off!

PS - I think I enjoyed the movie a lot more because I read the book "Lost Moon". The book fills in some things that get glossed over or just not conveyed in the movie, and the movie provides some great visual/audio. They really complement each other.

-ERD50

Concert for George (Harrison).
Das Boot.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what qualifies for a good home theater these days? The newer TVs offer great sound quality, but what else have you added, that gives you a real theater experience ?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what qualifies for a good home theater these days? The newer TVs offer great sound quality, but what else have you added, that gives you a real theater experience ?

7.1 Dolby Atmos. Close your eyes on a good movie soundtrack and you will be amazed at how immersive it is.

Home theater systems are described as being 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, or even 7.1.4. It refers to the number of main speakers, subwoofers, and Atmos speakers.

A basic 2 channel stereo, i.e. a front left and front right speaker is a 2.0 system. Add a subwoofer and it is a 2.1 system. A system with a front/center/left and two rear surround speakers and a subwoofer is a 5.1 system. This was the standard surround system for the late 90's and 2000's.

Subwoofer is probably the most important component for home theater. Not a toy subwoofer, i.e. 8" or 10" driver, but at least 12" woofer and at least 350 watts RMS. Yes, you are going to need to plug it into a wall outlet. This type of subwoofer will set you back $500 to $600, but it is the difference maker in a home theater system.

Of course if you get a subwoofer you're going to need an audio-visual receiver, AVR. The number of channels of surround sound you want will determine what level of AVR you need. For a 5.1 system a basic AVR is adequate.

You need at least two front speakers for left/right channels and a center channel. Don't skimp on the center channel as it carries the bulk of the dialogue. A cheap center speaker means you will get dialogue that is hard to hear properly.

Two rear surround speakers (left and right) along with the front/center/right speakers and a subwoofer is the usual, basic 5.1 system. I would call this a "good" home theater system. Please note that the TV speakers are almost always turned to OFF with a home theater system.

If you add left and right side surround speakers to a 5.1 system you will have a 7.1 system.

Some enthusiasts use Atmos speakers which are overhead speakers, typically mounted in the ceiling. Usually 2 or 4 Atmos speakers are used. Thus it is possible to have seven horizontal speakers and four overhead speakers, plus a subwoofer. This is a 7.1.4 system. This requires a more sophisticated AVR to drive it.

Some people even have TWO subwoofers. So it's possible to have a 7.2.4 system. This system has 13 total speakers.

Last edited:
They do? Can you name one? I haven't heard any TV in recent times that didn't have crappy sound.

... Some people even have TWO subwoofers. ...

Two subwoofers is actually a very good approach, it's not an extreme thing to do at all. When I finally get around to setting up my system with subs, I plan on using two.

The main reason is, sub placement is tricky - the room really affects the frequency response, you can get a pretty extreme peak or a notch from the interaction of the room and the speaker. By placing two subs in different parts of the room (as basic physics, not quantum I guess, says you must!), these hot.cold spots are averaged out.

Secondly, each individual sub does not need to work so hard, and can be smaller than one equivalent sub, so you might have more flexibility in placement.

-ERD50

Blackhawk down..

Played it with my DD's sound system and the dogs inside the house next door went wacko.

For music The Killers live at the O2 dvd...

Yeah. 5.1 is the bare minimum. You get rear surround and the thump. More channels give a more immersive experience, but you can get started with fronts (left, center and right) and rears (right surround and left surround) plus a subwoofer.

As Q said, don't scrimp on the sub. HT receivers have a dedicated output for this LFE (low frequency effects) channel.

Last edited:
I used to use the scene from the movie "Speed" when the elevator drops! Its an old movie (1994) but if there are enhanced versions it is still probably a good demo for a great sound system.

They do? Can you name one? I haven't heard any TV in recent times that didn't have crappy sound.

Yeah, I didn't want to go there, but it's true.

Two subwoofers is actually a very good approach, it's not an extreme thing to do at all. When I finally get around to setting up my system with subs, I plan on using two.

The main reason is, sub placement is tricky - the room really affects the frequency response, you can get a pretty extreme peak or a notch from the interaction of the room and the speaker. By placing two subs in different parts of the room (as basic physics, not quantum I guess, says you must!), these hot.cold spots are averaged out.

I did the "subwoofer crawl" to determine best placement for the sub. To do this you temporarily place the subwoofer in your main listening position. I literally put the sub in the chair I sit in to watch TV. Then you play some bass heavy music on your stereo. With music playing get down on the ground and crawl on hands and knees all around the perimeter of the room. You're looking for the spot where the bass is loudest. (You could also do this with a sound pressure meter, if handy.) Crawl all over the place until you find the best spot where's it's feasible to place the sub. I got lucky because that spot was in a corner of the room. I was surprised there were mostly "cold" bass spots and a only two or three "hot" spots. Also, a couple of the hot spots where not in places I would have anticipated.

Secondly, each individual sub does not need to work so hard, and can be smaller than one equivalent sub, so you might have more flexibility in placement.

-ERD50

True. But I would be leery of downsizing to anything less than a 12" driver. The size of the room is also a determining factor. If the room isn't that big one decent sub should do it. But, yeah, two subs is awesome. Over this summer when my youngest son was home from college, we had dual subwoofers. He's got a 15" 600 watt unit and we added it to my 12" 350 watt unit. Unfortunately, the placement of his sub was one of convenience and not in the ideal position. Also, my receiver can't separately "tune" two subwoofers. Still, it was an added dimension to the enjoyment of watching movies.

Last edited:
Blackhawk down..

Played it with my DD's sound system and the dogs inside the house next door went wacko.

I can imagine this sounds really cool because helicopters flying around really give great surround effects.

Wow, thank you for the info and the crash course. I love a good theater experience for movies, but for various reasons, haven’t been able take advantage of an updated system. My last was 20 years ago and was a Kenwood 5.1 hardwired system with 4 foot high, left and right speakers. I still have them in my basement if anyone wants a good deal. Lol
So, when u consider the source. I guess my idea of good, these days, isn’t very good. Haha
As far as movies, I can’t say from experience, but I’m guessing We Were Soldiers would be another good one, as well as The Day After Tomorrow.

Not a movie, but to test my system or systems, I use Children of the Sun by Billy Thorpe. Must be loud. Better keep all children and sensitive animals at a far distance. Check earthquake insurance.

Not a movie, but to test my system or systems, I use Children of the Sun by Billy Thorpe. Must be loud. Better keep all children and sensitive animals at a far distance. Check earthquake insurance.

Yep. I'm going to give this one a whirl.

I also have SACD system in the setup. Dark Side of The Moon is amazing. If you enjoy great sound, can probably pick up a player cheap.

Back
Top Bottom