Home Theater Enthusiasts--Best Movies for Sound Effects?

The "Lord of The Rings" series movies have always been my favorites to let thump on a good 5.1/2 or 7.1/2 system.

I vote LOTR. We used scene with the Balrog in the Fellowship of the Ring over and over to test our repair of rattle in the subwoofer speaker in our system. It turned out the speaker was rattling against the wall it was behind. It was a great way to test our handiwork.

I’m looking forward to Dune now based on this thread.

Dune 2021 on HBOMAX. An absolute masterpiece of immersive audio.

I was coming to this thread to say try Dune. But mainly to see if a good system allows you to actually hear the dialogue in the first half...
(i did love the film, but there was lots of whispering over busy background)

I think the first Matrix film was known to be a good test in its day?

For music in a film, I'd try the Mission, the score by Ennio Morricone would be wonderful to hear through a perfect setup.

Subwoofers are important for "shock and awe", but the most important speaker in a HT system is the center channel. Not only for on screen effects, which are many, but most important, clear dialog. If you can't understand what the actors are saying, why bother?

The W-T/M-W (woofer, tweeter over mid, woofer) configuration has excellent uniformity as far as width of soundstage, you get clear dialog anywhere in the room. I use this Aperion Verus Grand and no plans of replacing it - :)

Subwoofers are important for "shock and awe", but the most important speaker in a HT system is the center channel. Not only for on screen effects, which are many, but most important, clear dialog. If you can't understand what the actors are saying, why bother?

The W-T/M-W (woofer, tweeter over mid, woofer) configuration has excellent uniformity as far as width of soundstage, you get clear dialog anywhere in the room. I use this Aperion Verus Grand and no plans of replacing it - :)

I agree. I will give up all sound effects and bass so I can understand the dialogue. That's one of the big reasons I went with the Sonos Arc. I can hear what people are saying even with Atmos effects bouncing everywhere. And I don't have to crank it up to hear what's being said. I would recommend that speaker you listed as the first one someone should buy when building a sound system. Get that right, and the rest will fall into place.

Any of the "Expendables" movie. They will not be mistaking for "high art", just heavy in action, sound effects, and humor (at least humorous to my taste :))

Back
Top Bottom