Votes: 17 14.3%
  • 4 times a week

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • 5-6 times a week

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • Once a day or more

Votes: 39 32.8%

• Total voters
The "driving out for coffee" thing is a strange concept for me. I guess that makes me a homebody. We have a starbucks and an IHOP and ample other coffee places at the end of the block that we can drive to in 1 minute or walk to in 5-8 minutes. But I would never do that instead of throwing some grounds in the coffee maker and brewing it fresh. Much more convenient than driving down the road and back for a cup of coffee.

For the "going out for coffee" people, is it just getting out of the house? Social? Habit? Convenience? Lack of coffee maker or coffee supplies at home?

I'm not trying to attack or criticize the folks who do this (because I understand that it is common), just trying to get some insight!

Not FIREd yet... :'(

I get out and putz around, maybe a Starbucks/B&N run, or Half-Price Books. Like to walk or bike ride. Been going out with a meet-up group once or twice a week, to meet "people", though I find that taxing on my system...

Am fine staying home, or close to it, much of the time, and find that my tolerance level for most things these days is about two hours. Have even left a couple of concerts early, because I grew fatigued with the noise and crowd. Plus, makes it easy to avoid the traffic jam at the end...

Not anti-social, but prefer small groups and small venues. Hate clubs; did enough clubbing in my day for two people...

I get out 5-6 days per week. DW is happy to stay home for days at a time. Now that we are empty nesters she is getting out more with me and without. So, we have entered a new chapter....man, the house is quiet and there's food in the fridge!

I am surprised at how many people are homebodies. I didn't vote as I am not ER. My w*rk has always taken me out and continues to involve a lot of travel. However I am currently doing my office w*rk from my home office. This has changed my habits somewhat. Some days I do not need to leave home even when w*rking. That's OK for a while but I do get cabin fever. As for going out for coffee or lunch, I will sometimes do that to break up the day. Since I started w*rking from a home office, I have noticed that I waste far less fresh food, as I eat at home. Saves gas too! I had one week of vacation this summer and mostly stayed home. I have a feeling that when I ER I may turn out to be a homebody.

I am surprised at how many people are homebodies.

I would guess there is a correlation between the ER type and the homebody type of person in general.

The non-homebody, as in someone who must constantly go out and do something, usually says "I'm bored, let's go [insert activity here that costs money]". Dinner, recreational shopping, bar, concert, drive around, movies, etc.

Even the simple act of driving around costs money (gas, tolls, parking, car depreciation, wear and tear on car, miniscule chance of an accident and related repair costs and increased insurance, etc).

In contrast, the homebody usually says "I'm bored, I'm going to [insert activity that is usually free or almost free]". Read a book, surf on the net, reallocate my investments, update my ER spreadsheets, watch tv, play a game, clean the house, work in the yard, do arts and crafts, work on my hobby, etc.

Anecdotally, it seems the homebodies I know are usually more savvy with money, whereas the constantly on the run types never seem to have enough paycheck to go along with their month.

My wife is on the go a lot more than I am. The older I get, the less I need to "go somewhere" to "do something" that occupies my time.

I voted 2-3 times per week, most often in to the small town near by to check our Post Office box. If it wasn't for the mailbox, would probably go out only once per week or so.

I voted 2-3 times per week, most often in to the small town near by to check our Post Office box. If it wasn't for the mailbox, would probably go out only once per week or so.

Ha, Ha, Ha, I haven't been to my "official" Post Office, in such a long time. Progressive Auto insurance has a snap shot program, plug it into your truck and a box monitors your driving habit's. Well its cell based sending info to their computer and Progressive now thinks I live at the PO and never drive.

The "driving out for coffee" thing is a strange concept for me. I guess that makes me a homebody. We have a starbucks and an IHOP and ample other coffee places at the end of the block that we can drive to in 1 minute or walk to in 5-8 minutes. But I would never do that instead of throwing some grounds in the coffee maker and brewing it fresh. Much more convenient than driving down the road and back for a cup of coffee.

For the "going out for coffee" people, is it just getting out of the house? Social? Habit? Convenience? Lack of coffee maker or coffee supplies at home?

I'm not trying to attack or criticize the folks who do this (because I understand that it is common), just trying to get some insight!

Old habits are hard to break. I've been doing coffee runs since about my sophomore year in high school, oh so many years ago. Since the beginning, it's always been a social thing...getting together with friends to visit and shoot the bull. But here of late, I have much less desire for the 'social' aspect of it, and just take the ride to grab a cup for the convenience of it.

By convenience I mean, I don't have to dirty a coffee pot or a cup for just a single cup of joe. I've got a fairly decent coffee maker sitting on the kitchen counter, and enough ceramic coffee cups to outfit a small army. I always have some Folgers sealed tight in the freezer for those rare occasions when I feel like brewing my own. Sure, I could buy one those fancy 'single cup' contraptions....I've even pondered it more than a few times. But thus far, I haven't convinced myself that it's worth it.

And besides, the two cars need to run once in a while to keep their batteries charged up, so I drive the Kia one trip and the Chevy the next. In fact that's about all the Kia gets used for besides an occasion grocery run......2004 Kia with 7,300 miles on it. :D

I voted 5-6 times a week.

I like to spend the AMs doing house stuff while Mr B goes for coffee at the local Legion with the guys. Once in a while, I will join him. While home, I watch the Weather Channel or play music. I leave myself little notes on the kitchen counter for short term TTD (things to do). I get at least 1 done per day. I may chat online at yahoo if I see one of my friends there.
I play with my container garden, either outside or roll a planter inside the enclosed porch. I wash and fold laundry, or fill/empty the dishwasher.
Around 10 AM, I grab a shower. Or maybe noon...la de da...:LOL:

Mr B is the jet propelled one in the house. I elected him Social Director. If we need to be somewhere to volunteer or attend a function that day, he lets me know. If I don't feel like volunteering, I send him solo and then show up later for cleanup.

I do get out every afternoon, except if the weather is really crappy. If he has studying or classes, I go downtown solo to run errands and then stop for a brewski at the Legion or VFW. I stay for a little while if the crowd is interesting. If Mr B will be meeting me later, it is not uncommon for me to bring a book or several magazines and read them at the bar until someone fun comes in.

I have been taking 1-2 day road trips up north to Lake Ontario to visit friends. I will miss that when the lake effect snow monster arrives. :(

Last edited:
In answer to FUEGO's question (since I'm one of the "driving out for coffee people") I do it 'cause I like to.

I am a homebody more than a gadder. I do get out for a walk everyday and go into town a couple of times a week to run errands. If I'd go (5) days without getting in the car, I don't think it would bother me.

FUEGO said:

The reason I go out and get coffee often, is it just simply tastes better. I get out 2x a week. If it was next door, I would go get it everyday. Maybe I need a more sophisticated coffee maker. It seems like coffee anywhere is better than what my coffee maker makes. Although it is not so bad that I wont drink it.

Depends on what kind of home you stay in. I live in an apartment with a clubhouse and since I exercise almost everyday in the gym or swimming pool, I usually need to get out of my home. However, the longest duration I can hang around my home and clubhouse is just 2 days, afterwhich, I'll be itching to go outside.

Well, I was retired, then went back to work. I could go three or four days without leaving the house but after that I'd start getting cabin fever.

Early on we had a well forecasted severe snow (3 feet) and we didn't go out of the house for a week. The last two days were when we were starting to mildly feel the need to get out somewhere. We know others who would probably kill each other if they had to stay inside for four days in a row.

When I started another new book at work last night, (after 6:00 PM or so the biggest interruption is usually dinner) I realized that what I was reading was a college textbook, not something most people would read for pleasure: Photoshop Masking & Compositing, 2nd ed., Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan, James Porto.

All in all, it is behavior consistent with the INTJ personality type more apparently more common on this board than elsewhere.

For me it's seasonal, most of the year I go out every day but in winter I may stay in for up to 3 days before I get cabin fever.

Only because in North Dakota it takes three days to shovel a path from the house to the road after each weekly snowfall. :LOL:
:hide:

The reason I go out and get coffee often, is it just simply tastes better. I get out 2x a week. If it was next door, I would go get it everyday. Maybe I need a more sophisticated coffee maker. It seems like coffee anywhere is better than what my coffee maker makes. Although it is not so bad that I wont drink it.

Legitimate reason for sure. I guess we have perfected home brew coffee to the point that I prefer it over coffee from a coffee shop or restaurant. And the funny thing is the coffee grounds are absolutely the cheapest we have found. $5.xx for a 35 oz can from walmart - Master Chef brand I think??

Not that we are coffee connoisseurs at all. But what we make tastes good to us and has the right strength. Starbucks regular coffee for example tastes burnt to me. Other places often taste watered down.

Legitimate reason for sure. I guess we have perfected home brew coffee to the point that I prefer it over coffee from a coffee shop or restaurant. And the funny thing is the coffee grounds are absolutely the cheapest we have found. $5.xx for a 35 oz can from walmart - Master Chef brand I think??

Not that we are coffee connoisseurs at all. But what we make tastes good to us and has the right strength. Starbucks regular coffee for example tastes burnt to me. Other places often taste watered down.

+1 (insert local generic brand here)

+1 (insert local generic brand here)
I order whole bean coffee in 5 lb bags from Dunkin Donuts, using their subscription option online and have it delivered right to my door. I can delay the next delivery date past the usual 10 week auto-ship.
I prefer the taste of DD decaf to anything available in the grocery store. Even with shipping, it is still cheaper than the by-the-pound price of DD coffee locally and the self-help whole beans sold in the grocery store.
I store the beans in glass containers in a dark cupboard above the refrigerator. I grind a small amount every few days. Woooooooo :dance:
I skimp on other things on my shopping list, but things like coffee and mayonnaise just have to be certain brands.
For the record, I've been to Starbucks exactly three times. It was in Syracuse NY, near the IMAX at the Museum of Science & Technology. I had time to kill, so I fugured what the heck.
The young man behind the counter was very pushy even though there was only a few people behind me. I let them through and asked questions about the different coffees when it was my turn. He obviously had sampled several cups himself because he was hyper as hell. Or something...:confused:

Anyway, back to our regular programming. :D

I can't vote because I'm not retired, but for 2 years I worked 3 days a week, which left me with 4 days a week of freedom. I left the house every day - most days to sit in the lanai and play with my parakeet (does that even count as leaving the house ??). I also took a bicycle ride to pick up groceries on sale twice a week (does that count ?). About once a week I would go to a local park for a bike ride (that definitely counts). Definite homebody and can't wait until I can do it full time !

I get outside several times a day for long puppy walks; although I am pretty introverted, I also try to meet with friends at least three or four times a week, even sometimes stooping to have coffee at the dreaded Starbucks (hey, it's a convenient place to have a cup of coffee--sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee, not a statement). Maybe that's my form of Dawg's meds!

DH and I do many things together of course but it's just as important to us that we also have friends of our own.

I've read many times that maintaining social relationships--even the level of saying hello to the librarian imho--is an important factor in living a long and happy life--here's an article about a study of studies: A wide social circle could encompass a longer life - Los Angeles Times

....People with adequate social relationships — friends, family and community involvement — were 50% less likely to die during study periods than those with sparse social support, the authors found. It's an effect comparable to that of quitting smoking....

...Does social connectedness foster good health or are people in good health simply more likely to be socially connected? ....the studies don't explain how social contacts could drive good health. And they don't rule out the possibility of unknown differences that may exist between people who are social and those who are not — and that those differences, not the social links that ride along with them, could be the real things driving health outcomes.

Yet there is mounting evidence in the scientific literature that social relationships do affect health.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom