Housing Regret: Advice to a Younger Dreamer

I've never understood the enjoyment of owning a house free and clear, especially if this is achieved by making extra premium payments. I always thought it wiser to put investable funds in the market.

That's because it's not a financial decision, it's a how you live your life choice.

We bought more than we really were comfy with knowing we would both grow into the house size and the mortgage payment. It was a little rough at first getting laid off and having 2 car payments but eventually switched to a 15 year. I don't regret buying a large house and land for our first family phase of our home ownership. 4br 4ba 2 blocks from the lake. Great neighbors and kids have some friends to play with.

This is a more established neighborhood so we don't get the brand new homes on top of each other.

Even with this home there are things we didnt like and are fixing over time. its still not perfect but we won't outgrow it which was alawys my concern.

I didn't want to pay a real estate transaction fee 2x more than needed...each time you sell...and then buy...is a commission check on each side to a middle man 9 outta 10 times.

I avoid fees, commission, etc. I did the math and figured it would be about 25k in fees just to move. Instead I put that money into a new deck, patio, under decking, landscaping and a screen porch. We now have a 27' x 20' outdoor space that is probably one of the nicer in the neighborhood. The new house wouldn't have come with that feature...but woulda come with the commission. Our plan is to pay home off by the time oldest is 17..just in time for college tuition.

Back
Top Bottom