How bad will Houston get hit?

I remember going to business school at Rice in mid 80's and half of my classmates were out of the oil patch. Seeing all of the empty strip malls and apartments was quite sobering. I sure hope it isn't as bad for people this time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what college at Rice? I hung out with a lot of the Lovett crowd. yes when I graduated in the mid 80s there were no oil jerbs for the new geologists, geophysicists , etc

Well I hope you stay employed. My nephew got laid off from Noble about 3 months ago.

1) ask any truck dealer how many of the $30-$60k trucks they are selling now (not many)

2) oil crash is crushing Houston's housing market
Oil crash hits Texas' housing market - Business Insider

This from the article...

Now, unsold homes sit near the Exxon Mobil campus, with the supply of so-called speculative houses there exceeding the metropolitan area’s average since the second quarter of 2014

I decided to look at the listings.... the houses around Exxon Mobile are price WAY out of line with the rest of the area... I see houses that are $600K that would cost $400K maybe 10 minutes away... I saw one group of houses that were all over $1 mill.... and they did not seem to be that much better than other stock (I will admit that I have not gone to look at them, just the pics)....

I did take a look at one of them and it is smaller than mine, on a lot that is just a bit over half my lot and is selling for $237 per sf.... in my neighborhood you can buy for between $80 and $100 per sf and be 20 minutes away.... IMO it is stupid of the builders to think that people will buy without comparing other options....

It also mentioned that we have an over supply of houses over $400K.... well, you can get a pretty good house here for less than that, so why pay more?

I am still getting mailings from RE agents that say they have buyers etc. and would I want to list my house... the market might not be great, but it is not anything like back in 2008 looking at the prices.... as an example, in my last neighborhood you could not sell a house for up to a year and then at a price around $115K.... I saw a number of listings in the $160K range and an equal number of ones showing 'pending' sale....

Unlikely, I'm too young. And even a large payout would not be enough to get me to FI.

Hang in there, this too shall pass. I've been in the oil industry since 1980 and seen this before. We still need 12+ million BPD of crude in the U.S, and currently produce about 2/3 of that internally. What's peeved off the Saudis and the 20 or so other nations that we import crude oil from is that we have:

1. Reduced our imports of crude oil overall.
2. Imported most outside crude from Canada as they ramped up production.
3. Figured out how to drill/frac/complete wells that are more productive.

Add all this up and OPEC has lost market share. Fortunately, they (Saudis) need oil at some higher price ($60 - $70?) to support their Kingdom. Several other nations like Venezuela, Nigeria, Russia, etc need higher prices as their economies are based on oil revenue at higher prices.

It's a mess right now, but oil prices can't be sustained at these low levels for very long. What may be the "event' to change things? I don't know, but if you are working in a U.S. oil company, it might get tough, sorry to say.

Last edited:
This from the article...

Now, unsold homes sit near the Exxon Mobil campus, with the supply of so-called speculative houses there exceeding the metropolitan area’s average since the second quarter of 2014

I decided to look at the listings.... the houses around Exxon Mobile are price WAY out of line with the rest of the area... I see houses that are $600K that would cost $400K maybe 10 minutes away... I saw one group of houses that were all over $1 mill.... and they did not seem to be that much better than other stock (I will admit that I have not gone to look at them, just the pics)....

I did take a look at one of them and it is smaller than mine, on a lot that is just a bit over half my lot and is selling for $237 per sf.... in my neighborhood you can buy for between $80 and $100 per sf and be 20 minutes away.... IMO it is stupid of the builders to think that people will buy without comparing other options....

I live 10 minutes from the Campus. Those homes were spec built for the incoming workers, many of who relocated from Fairfax, VA where a starter home sells for $600K. Most of those folks were smart enough to buy in the older Woodland neighborhoods where homes are selling for $100/SF less. Stupid builders. And right now, The Woodlands housing market is dead, period.

The real estate in my old hood, 77018, is stupid expensive. Not that I'm bitter that my house is now appraised at twice what it was when I moved 5 years ago but still, I don't think houses are moving like they used to. Lots of downtown oil company people in the 77018.

I live 10 minutes from the Campus. Those homes were spec built for the incoming workers, many of who relocated from Fairfax, VA where a starter home sells for $600K. Most of those folks were smart enough to buy in the older Woodland neighborhoods where homes are selling for $100/SF less. Stupid builders. And right now, The Woodlands housing market is dead, period.

If I moved back to H-town I'd probably be on a golf course in the Woodlands. Can't beat it.

on the other hand, attorneys, accountants and benefits consultants in Houston are probably extremely busy right now...

Quote:

It also mentioned that we have an over supply of houses over $400K.... well, you can get a pretty good house here for less than that, so why pay more?

I am still getting mailings from RE agents that say they have buyers etc. and would I want to list my house... the market might not be great, but it is not anything like back in 2008 looking at the prices.... as an example, in my last neighborhood you could not sell a house for up to a year and then at a price around $115K.... I saw a number of listings in the $160K range and an equal number of ones showing 'pending' sale....[/QUOTE]

I had also read in another forum that houses over $400K were not moving. It's good to hear that RE agents are wanting to list your home. My unemployed brother needs to sell his home in 77406, probably for $100/SF, and was planning to put it on the market in another month or two. I know he would like to get more but he cannot afford the Fort Bend taxes.

Last edited:
From this morning at $27.50/bbl we're now down to $26.50...wheeeeeee!

I had also read in another forum that houses over $400K were not moving. It's good to hear that RE agents are wanting to list your home. My unemployed brother needs to sell his home in 77406, probably for $100/SF, and was planning to put it on the market in another month or two. I know he would like to get more but he cannot afford the Fort Bend taxes.

glws - that's a brutal commute from Richmond to downtown or even the galleria - I actually got my drivers license in Richmond back when it was out there all by itself

The current Houston economy is not as bad off as one might think...at least not yet:

Houston Economy in 2016: No Recovery in Oil Markets Brings Another Slow Year

From the forecast:

Having lost the opportunity for a quick recovery, all the employment scenarios for Houston point to another slow year in 2016. So far, much of the economic damage from low oil prices is confined to oil production, oil services, and oil-related manufacturing. As the rig count bottoms out in 2016, oil-related layoffs should slow sharply. However, additional time without a real turnaround in oil markets provides the opportunity for economic damage to spread through many sectors that have yet to feel much pain.

Many businesses in Houston will tell you that they have yet to see much effect of the drilling bust. Strong job growth continues unabated in sectors such as education, healthcare, leisure, hospitality, and local government. Sales and price levels are holding up for single-family housing. Apartment occupancy and rents are still strong. Retail sales are still growing, and restaurants are still crowded.

Some of this activity stems from Houston’s current economic strengths: US economic growth and petrochemical expansion. Some activity is the result of past momentum. Houston added nearly 680,000 payroll jobs between 2003 and 2014, the equivalent of a metro area the size of Oklahoma City. Even as job growth slowed in 2015, there remained serious demand for housing, shopping centers, bars and restaurants, schools, roads, and other infrastructure. But the catch-up phase will lose momentum as slow growth extends into 2016.

Finally, 2015 population growth probably remained at very high levels, as in-migration typically continues for several quarters after job growth slows. But with a second year of poor job growth, news will spread that that Houston is no longer a growth mecca for the nation’s unemployed. Figure 8 shows the how the slowdown of in-migration might work in our three scenarios. In no case does it begin to accelerate again before the second half of 2017.

Emphasis added

Bumping this thread because crude is $27.50 today. Will my job and/or Houston survive?
Since I know nothing about you ir your job, your guess is better than mine about that.

About Houston, of course it will survive. It's not like it hasn't survived big oil busts before, and it will this time, and it will in futures yet to be seen.

There is lot to Houston besides oil. And I think with all the SUVs that were bought in America in 2015, the advertised demise of oil is likely still well off into the future.

Ha

Watch the foreclosure rate in Harris and surrounding counties if it inches up to 3k a month then it is as bad as the late 1980s. (Of course if you had a job traffic problems cleared up, and since the road expansion projects were underway earlier they finished and things got better.

glws - that's a brutal commute from Richmond to downtown or even the galleria - I actually got my drivers license in Richmond back when it was out there all by itself

That is a nothing commute to the Galleria area. I lived in that zip code for about 5 years and it took 25 minutes to get to work in the Galleria area. That was due to the Westpark Tollway. It was a very easy commute.

One thing on the horizon that may help us is the completion of the Panama Canal expansion.
Our gain in ship traffic may come at the expense of Long Beach Cali though. I'm seeing a lot of storage tank construction and I think that is prep for that. I was in the oil patch in the 80's and the oil production side suffered greatly but chemicals did well as feed stock prices where cheap.
We were going to have a layoff where I work but enough people took the package and so no one is going out involuntarily. It's just part of the business. Boom, Bust.

Houston is a tough, resilient city and has recovered from some pretty bad blows in the past. The situation may be rugged for a while but I'm sure it will recover from the present crash in oil prices.

My concern is that some individuals may not recover financially. I just hope that the number of individual households severely affected by all this can be kept at a minimum.

Houston is a tough, resilient city and has recovered from some pretty bad blows in the past. The situation may be rugged for a while but I'm sure it will recover from the present crash in oil prices.

My concern is that some individuals may not recover financially. I just hope that the number of individual households severely affected by all this can be kept at a minimum.

I'm glad I'm past the point in my career/life where an oil downturn is not affecting us. Been there/done that twice! Creative folks who had a "plan" will do OK until the industry realigns itself.

I'm glad I'm past the point in my career/life where an oil downturn is not affecting us. Been there/done that twice! Creative folks who had a "plan" will do OK until the industry realigns itself.

Glad you aren't affected, too!

IIRC a lot of the Houstonians whose lives were ruined by the oil troubles back in the 1980's, were those working in the oil industry who were also very over-extended financially. No savings, lots of debt, and a lost job can result in disaster for some families.

Glad you aren't affected, too!

IIRC a lot of the Houstonians whose lives were ruined by the oil troubles back in the 1980's, were those working in the oil industry who were also very over-extended financially. No savings, lots of debt, and a lost job can result in disaster for some families.

Me = ARCO 1980 - 1986 - lost job (oil @ $8/bbl). went into consulting after unsuccessfully trying to find work for a year. Longest year of my life with wife, two children, big California house. All is good now!;)

Yep. I've seen this movie before. Been planing my escape for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom