How do I get myself to spend a bit more

Is there a 12 step program I can go through and not be so frugal since I really don't need to be??

Actually, there is a one step program that will solve your problem in one swell foop.

Buy a boat.

I'd suggest Tightwads Anonymous.

Grant me the serenity to not have to find the best deal on everything, the courage to spend for things I'll truly enjoy or will benefit those I care about, and the wisdom to realize I've only got a few years left before the $ I've saved may be wasted by some spendthrift heir.

I love it! I think I need to share this with the DW and throw off the LBYM shackles that are unneeded at this point.

Oh!!!! Another way to spend more, is to respond to threads like this one. In my post above, I said:

Just SAYING that made the wheels start spinning, and a couple of hours ago I got an idea for a car that I think I would like better than my Venza. Why I never thought of that model before, I do not know! :facepalm: I am going to transfer some money from Vanguard to my checking account, and then go test drive it in a few days. If I don't like it, I have a couple of other ideas. Anyway, once I have made up my mind when and what and if I am buying, I'll tell everyone. I am in no rush.

Also, my dear Frank has over 247,000 miles on his Murano and so he is looking for a cheap but very reliable used car. If I buy a new car, I can sell him my (awfully beat up looking but super reliable and low mileage) Venza at a low price since there would be no middle man.

I'm dying to know - what's the model?

I did not like the Venza when I drove it so I bought a Highlander instead. Total POS, courtesy of the Indiana truck factory. Now I have the Lexus, but I'm having problems with wheel vibration and the radio at 3 years old and less than 30k miles. Not as happy with Toyota products as I used to be.

I did not like the Venza when I drove it so I bought a Highlander instead. Total POS, courtesy of the Indiana truck factory. Now I have the Lexus, but I'm having problems with wheel vibration and the radio at 3 years old and less than 30k miles. Not as happy with Toyota products as I used to be.

Actually I was thinking she would pick Lexus .

Anyway, once I have made up my mind when and what and if I am buying, I'll tell everyone. I am in no rush.

It's another brand. I hope I don't regret leaving Toyota, like Moemg probably did when her Honda had paint and AC problems.

I'll let you know what I decided on after I buy it, like I said above. I have one particular model in mind (not a Toyota), but if I don't like the test drive, I have thought of a couple of others as backups.

Today F says he may want to wait until next year to do this. Why, I don't know! I will never understand men (and many of them might say the same about women :LOL: ). I told him we could drop the idea with no hard feelings, and he said no, he really, really wants the Venza. So it's all up in the air. We will be talking about the timeframe in the next few days. Nothing is ever easy. :banghead:

My personality is such that when I make a decision of this type, it is firm and I want to take action on it immediately, BOOM! I never have regrets. I guess most people are not like that.

Tell Frank NWB asked about his transmission problem. I want a confirmation that my memory is still superior.

PS. As part of the effort to spend more, you can give him your car.

Tell Frank NWB asked about his transmission problem. I want a confirmation that my memory is still superior.

I did just now, and he says it isn't - - he never had a transmission problem. It was probably something else; with a car that old and with that many miles, many other problems have arisen over the years.

I'd be happy to give him my car, but I don't think he would accept charity. The price we have discussed is a pretty steep discount (because I want to spend more - - that is what brought the idea to my mind in the first place). But I have justified this to him, by pointing out that we are avoiding the middleman.

Last edited:
A very wealthy old lady I knew who drove a Benz but bought day old bread told me... "I pinch pennies so I can spend dollars" and that credo has always stuck with me

Yep, I do this also. As an example, spending a few months in a warmer climate each winter is very important to us, so we save for that and plan to continue doing it as long as we are able (even if our costs for doing so increase). On the other hand, there are numerous other areas where I will try to save $$ if I can. For instance, I will often do small repairs on my vehicles or routine house/yard maintenance myself rather than hiring someone. I get some satisfaction out of doing that, plus it saves me $$ that I would rather spend on other things. Saving $$ on the smaller things does add up over time.

My personality is such that when I make a decision of this type, it is firm and I want to take action on it immediately, BOOM! I never have regrets. I guess most people are not like that.

I tend to be that way, but I usually force myself to wait.

I've decided to buy a new car, and I've narrowed it down to just two. I'd love to go out and test drive them now and buy my preferred one, but I put a lot of mileage on my vehicles. So I'm making myself wait until after my skiing trip out west in January.

I could probably justify buying now by saying the extra mileage will just reduce what I can get for my present car, but I've made up my mind and I'm sticking to it. I've also found it good to be car shopping in February anyway, since dealership traffic tends to be pretty light.

It's another brand. I hope I don't regret leaving Toyota, like Moemg probably did when her Honda had paint and AC problems.

No,I had wanted to try out Honda for awhile and since I am not loyal to any brand it was fine . I have had Nissan's , VW's , Chevrolet, Fords and even one American Motor . That is the only one I regret . I rent cars at least two or three times a year so I got to test drive a lot of them . My favorite was a Jeep Limited .

No,I had wanted to try out Honda for awhile and since I am not loyal to any brand it was fine . I have had Nissan's , VW's , Chevrolet, Fords and even one American Motor . That is the only one I regret . I rent cars at least two or three times a year so I got to test drive a lot of them . My favorite was a Jeep Limited .

How cool! I have never driven a Jeep. :) I am glad to hear that you are open to other brands, because I am thinking more that way now than I used to think.

I am glad to hear that you are open to other brands, because I am thinking more that way now than I used to think.

The one constant I see with my friends is that the older we get, the more we gravitate toward SUVs (at least the smaller ones, sometimes called crossovers).

The reason is simple; the seats are higher off the ground so they are so much easier to get in and out of than a sedan.

I buy Coca Cola in the 8 oz glass bottles instead of the 2 lt size. I wait for the 6 pack to go on sale for $4,99 lol, so I pay 5 bucks for less soda , than I can get for .99 cents.

The only exception is when the Kosher coca cola comes out, they only have it in the 2 lt size , I buy that as I prefer it. I think the glass bottles have more Fizz. The bride says no way. Im sure she is right. But its a little indulgence I do for myself. I wouldn't have dream of blowing 5 bucks for 48 oz of soda when I can get 67 oz for 80 % less during my accumulation stage.

Aaagh, you were right!!! Your memory IS still superior. :clap: congratulations on that.

He said he never had transmission problems, but I did a search on the forum and I said in a prior post from 2011 that he did. I guess it must have been some other expensive problem that I thought was transmission, but wasn't. So it was me with the faulty memory.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/how-did-you-spend-black-friday-58923.html#post1134386

Ah, thank you for making me feel better.

I recall reading your post and thinking to myself, his car probably had a CVT, and fixing that would cost a bunch. And that's how I remember.

Today F says he may want to wait until next year to do this. Why, I don't know! I will never understand men (and many of them might say the same about women :LOL: ). I told him we could drop the idea with no hard feelings, and he said no, he really, really wants the Venza. So it's all up in the air. We will be talking about the timeframe in the next few days. Nothing is ever easy. :banghead:

You could always buy the new car for yourself and keep the Venza parked until he's ready for it. In CA, you just pay $20 to change the registration to Planned Nonoperation and then you don't have to carry insurance on it.

You could always buy the new car for yourself and keep the Venza parked until he's ready for it. In CA, you just pay $20 to change the registration to Planned Nonoperation and then you don't have to carry insurance on it.

I could, good idea! I think I'll let the idea percolate in his active mind for a week or so, until he has more firmly decided if/when he wants to do this.
The one constant I see with my friends is that the older we get, the more we gravitate toward SUVs (at least the smaller ones, sometimes called crossovers).

The reason is simple; the seats are higher off the ground so they are so much easier to get in and out of than a sedan.

That's so true! Sports cars are not a good choice for me, with my bad knees. So, if anyone is trying to guess, they can now erase Miata and Corvette from their list of "Cars W2R might buy".

I still see a lot of older people in sports cars . I passed a gorgeous sports car the other day and when I looked the driver was a little old lady . She probably always wanted one and now that she is widowed she went for it .

I buy Coca Cola in the 8 oz glass bottles instead of the 2 lt size. I wait for the 6 pack to go on sale for $4,99 lol, so I pay 5 bucks for less soda , than I can get for .99 cents.

The only exception is when the Kosher coca cola comes out, they only have it in the 2 lt size , I buy that as I prefer it. I think the glass bottles have more Fizz. The bride says no way. Im sure she is right. But its a little indulgence I do for myself. I wouldn't have dream of blowing 5 bucks for 48 oz of soda when I can get 67 oz for 80 % less during my accumulation stage.

DH asked me to look for Mexican Coke in bottles. I looked all over and found it in the ethnic foods section with the Mexican foods instead of with beverages.

He likes it because it's made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. He doesn't drink pop often so it's a treat. Six glass bottles for $5.99.

DH asked me to look for Mexican Coke in bottles. I looked all over and found it in the ethnic foods section with the Mexican foods instead of with beverages.

He likes it because it's made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. He doesn't drink pop often so it's a treat. Six glass bottles for $5.99.

Kroger/Ralph's has come out with their own brand called Real Sugar Soda which is made with real sugar. I saw it today when I was grocery shopping but didn't look at the cost. I would assume being Kroger brand it will be cheaper than what you are paying for the Mexican Coke. I have not tried it and cannot speak to the taste, but on-line reviews are quite favorable. I personally prefer diet drinks, so it's not something I will ever have.

Back
Top Bottom