How do I get myself to spend a bit more

It does take a while to fully realize you can afford to spend more. When you realize that you can only spend it or give it away, now or later, it might put it in perspective. Maybe start small, eat out more buy higher quality food or clothing. But to really move the dial you will probably need to move to more expensive travel, autos or homes.

Simply sitting on a pile of money and counting it get bigger, seems a little sad to me. If you don't want to spend it, think of ways to give it away while you are still alive. Anyway everybody is different, but if you really want to spend more it shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:
...Simply sitting on a pile of money and counting it get bigger, seems a little sad to me. If you don't want to spend it, think of ways to give it away while you are still alive...
Maybe I wanted too much, but I kind of enjoy giving some money away (to strangers, meaning charity, as well as to my children), spending some, AND also having some left-over to count.

Of course that was made easy the last few years. Can I continue to count on the generosity of the market god?

Maybe I wanted too much, but I kind of enjoy giving some money away (to strangers, meaning charity, as well as to my children), spending some, AND also having some left-over to count.
I got my dividends into my checking account this morning, going shopping and filling up a food Barrel.

I put a deposit on a custom diamond engagement ring for my girlfriend. One and a third carat main stone and a host (about 3/4 total) of little ones in a halo style with 2 tone (rose and white) gold.

Close to 5 figures!

Yeah Baby, blow that dough - :)

I put a deposit on a custom diamond engagement ring for my girlfriend. One and a third carat main stone and a host (about 3/4 total) of little ones in a halo style with 2 tone (rose and white) gold.

Close to 5 figures!

She will love it !

Close to 5 figures!

Congrats!

Close to 5 figures!

Congratulations!!! What a happy turn of events. I hope you and your girlfriend have many wonderful years together. :D :dance: :clap:

Thanks! We've been dating / travelling / living together since spring of 15. She has been divorced 6 years and my wife is seven years deceased. Her son is 21 and just graduated MIT, daughter is 17 and senior in high school. After her daughter goes to college we will tie the knot and combine households.

It's nice to share your life with someone, I've missed that.

Thanks! We've been dating / travelling / living together since spring of 15. She has been divorced 6 years and my wife is seven years deceased. Her son is 21 and just graduated MIT, daughter is 17 and senior in high school. After her daughter goes to college we will tie the knot and combine households.

:D:D:D:D:D:D So nice to know that things are working out this well for you two!

She is a proper girl and wouldn't feel right having her children visiting while we were shacked up.

Not only that, but there are significant tax advantages to being married.

I buy the most expensive stuff I can find. Orange juice you say? The grocery put in a squeezer machine and now I buy only fresh squeezed. Three dollar a pint. Worth every penny too.

Did you miss my earlier request for adoption? Perhaps you gave me the wrong street address, could you resend it again? Have you ever had the machine that offers fresh squeezed papyas or fresh squeezed mangos... :rolleyes:

oh, that's not a machine that's hired help...I get confused sometimes drinkin all the fresh! I kid...seriously did you get the adoption paperwork yet?

My ole man has the same prob. six figure salary with first RMD in 5years pushing him even higher. He needs to visit RobbieB...he'll be retired a year in November...since then he nabbed a 65" 4k, GMC Denali 2500HD TurboDiesel, full house remodel, new roof, trips out east down south and to the islands, some unwarranted lawyer expenses and an unexpected funeral and he's still got plenty of cash to run lol. He's been looking for something to pull with that 910 lb-ft...a 28" SeaRay Sundance or similar.

Gifting is always awesome way to spend money...in fact RobbieB that paperwork is a lot easier, lemme get you my wire acnt#. :dance:

Congrats btw. If they had a prenump for honey-do's...damn don't forget to sign that one Robbie! :LOL:

Close to 5 figures!

yes, congrats!

Did you miss my earlier request for adoption? Perhaps you gave me the wrong street address, could you resend it again? Have you ever had the machine that offers fresh squeezed papyas or fresh squeezed mangos... :rolleyes:

oh, that's not a machine that's hired help...I get confused sometimes drinkin all the fresh! I kid...seriously did you get the adoption paperwork yet?

My ole man has the same prob. six figure salary with first RMD in 5years pushing him even higher. He needs to visit RobbieB...he'll be retired a year in November...since then he nabbed a 65" 4k, GMC Denali 2500HD TurboDiesel, full house remodel, new roof, trips out east down south and to the islands, some unwarranted lawyer expenses and an unexpected funeral and he's still got plenty of cash to run lol. He's been looking for something to pull with that 910 lb-ft...a 28" SeaRay Sundance or similar.

Gifting is always awesome way to spend money...in fact RobbieB that paperwork is a lot easier, lemme get you my wire acnt#. :dance:

I smiled thru the whole post, well said:LOL:

Of course that was made easy the last few years. Can I continue to count on the generosity of the market god?

Good point. The market has given some of us the ability to "have our cake and eat it too". In my case I am planning on upping my spending somewhat but if the markets keep going up, the portfolio will still hit new highs. Too bad it can't last forever.

Your Pops knows how to roll - :)

I would adopt you, but I guess you missed the part about the girlfriend / ring / marriage thing? Supporting her and her 2 kids is enough for now. Maybe later.

I'd suggest Tightwads Anonymous.

Grant me the serenity to not have to find the best deal on everything, the courage to spend for things I'll truly enjoy or will benefit those I care about, and the wisdom to realize I've only got a few years left before the $ I've saved may be wasted by some spendthrift heir.

Love this!

It's another brand. I hope I don't regret leaving Toyota, like Moemg probably did when her Honda had paint and AC problems.

I'll let you know what I decided on after I buy it, like I said above. I have one particular model in mind (not a Toyota), but if I don't like the test drive, I have thought of a couple of others as backups.

Today F says he may want to wait until next year to do this. Why, I don't know! I will never understand men (and many of them might say the same about women :LOL: ). I told him we could drop the idea with no hard feelings, and he said no, he really, really wants the Venza. So it's all up in the air. We will be talking about the timeframe in the next few days. Nothing is ever easy. :banghead:

My personality is such that when I make a decision of this type, it is firm and I want to take action on it immediately, BOOM! I never have regrets. I guess most people are not like that.

I think it's a good idea to tell us after you've decided, since clearly you're not asking for input. If you disclosed what you're considering, I imagine you'd hear lots of opinions on it.

A second home in a resort area would work too, although W2R doesn't like to travel.

I can certainly attest to this. Just redid the pool in Arizona, new deck in Canmore, will need a new boat at the lake soon, looks like a special condo assessment is coming in Toronto. Great way to eat up any exess cash.

Back
Top Bottom