How do strangers see you?

We just moved to our new lake front house last March. Right before the lockdowns. I am a high school graduate. My DH has a Masters. My new neighbor was talking to me over the fence. We were talking retirement. She talked down to me and asked did I know what the stock market is? I wanted to laugh my butt. I just looked at her and said, yes, I know what the stock market is and I am in charge of our portfolio. She looked a little embarrassed to say the least.

She has done the same thing a couple of other times. Guess with just a high school education, I am not up to her standards. (She earned a Master's and retired at 53). I didn't have the heart to say I retired at 50. Her 64 year old husband is still working and mine retired at 57. You can never judge a book by its cover.

They hire out all their work and we choose to do our own home improvements if we can. It's really sad if you ask me.

We all know our time precious. Why waste your time on another's predisposition on anything they're not qualifyed experts at?. ;)

I ER’d 10 years ago. Four years ago I moved to Bangkok, Thailand. Thailand is different for me in two ways. I am no longer invisible in a good way. There is still a culture of respect or at least deference to elders. People of all ages notice your presence and will talk to you freely and help you. The other is that as an expat, I get a sort of free pass on clothing choices. This is a tropical climate. My daily uniform is a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and flip flops. Not just on a beach but in downtown Bangkok. I may dress that up a little at times like when I go out salsa dancing. Both the distance from the US and moving to a new place, I have no concerns about how others think about me.

Most strangers see me as someone who is stupid. Most acquaintances know I'm stupid and assume my good fortune as simply extremely lucky in life. No one has ever made the mistake of assuming I am financially independent because I earned it. I know because they tell me.
Of course, I do not see myself this way at all. I do play to this strong suit though; I kick butt at poker and intellectual games. Anyone who has played Trivial Pursuit or chess with me comes away extremely agitated. Ha! They simply are amazed and frustrated how lucky I am to have beaten them.
When I get annoyed with someone who treats me to their superiority demeanor, I can easily convince them to move along when I open discussion about black helicopters, government conspiracies', etc. In other words, convince them that their first impression of me was probably right.
Then there are those who recognize my guise as their own schtick and we bond. One such fellow is a 78 year old guy who was a machinist and builds the most clever things. He's taken me in under his wing and grants me access to his 'toy cave', a barn with every tool and machine imaginable to create and build stuff. We combine our talents and have created some pretty neat things. It did not surprise me at all when I showed up and he's built a hover craft from a riding lawn mower. It did surprise me to realize he wanted me to be the first to pilot it though. Maybe he also thinks I'm stupid. Tomorrow we find out if it works....

Just wondering did that hovercraft work? Did he buy a kit or home made job?
I have spent quit a few hours on them during flooding and snow/ice conditions where no other motor vehicle would go except a hovercraft.

We just moved to our new lake front house last March. Right before the lockdowns. I am a high school graduate. My DH has a Masters. My new neighbor was talking to me over the fence. We were talking retirement. She talked down to me and asked did I know what the stock market is? I wanted to laugh my butt. I just looked at her and said, yes, I know what the stock market is and I am in charge of our portfolio. She looked a little embarrassed to say the least.

She has done the same thing a couple of other times. Guess with just a high school education, I am not up to her standards. (She earned a Master's and retired at 53). I didn't have the heart to say I retired at 50. Her 64 year old husband is still working and mine retired at 57. You can never judge a book by its cover.

They hire out all their work and we choose to do our own home improvements if we can. It's really sad if you ask me.

When I think about it, I am much more impressed with a kind heart than a graduate degree.

It has been a long, long time since anyone asked me where I went to school or even if I went to school.

It has been a long, long time since anyone asked me where I went to school or even if I went to school.

You obviously do not live in the STL area. It is still a common question to get asked when meeting someone new. Of course, they are talking about high school. :facepalm:

You obviously do not live in the STL area. It is still a common question to get asked when meeting someone new. Of course, they are talking about high school. :facepalm:

The Cincinnati area as well. "Where did you go to school?" always means which local high school. Your answer defines you as either an east sider or a west sider, and that distinction tells the questioner everything they want to know about you.

As a transplant from elsewhere, I think it's hilarious, but the locals are very serious about it.

Being primarily a 'manu-didact', (an unsophisticated model one step less refined than an autodidact), I can pretty much always answer "Huh?" to any questions pertaining to schooling.

Last edited:
Long ago a lady friend took me to a party, shartly after I returned to NY State after bumming around the US in a Motorhome. Had traveled through all the contiguous states in a year and a half or so. I called that my pratice retirement.
Some nosy self important biddy at that party asked me in a serious voice "and just what do you do for a living?" Without a second thought I replied: I don't. My lady friend nearly fell on the floor laughing.

The self important dame was so stumped, her mouth fell open and just wondered away.
Yea, at that point I was down to my last $300.- too.

My sister lives in St. Peters. Until she died in 2018, my mother lived in O'Fallon. When I left home in 1977, we were living in Harvester. I graduated from Francis Howell High School (the original one in Weldon Spring next to the atomic bomb factory). Of course, I never went back, so no one ever had occasion to ask me about it.

I can't stand education snobs. They are all insecure.

I've known some genuinely brilliant people, who never shamed others or insulted their intelligence.

Last edited:
We just moved to our new lake front house last March. Right before the lockdowns. I am a high school graduate. My DH has a Masters. My new neighbor was talking to me over the fence. We were talking retirement. She talked down to me and asked did I know what the stock market is? I wanted to laugh my butt off. I just looked at her and said, yes, I know what the stock market is and I am in charge of our portfolio. She looked a little embarrassed to say the least.

(edited for spelling)

I chuckle at this topic now and again. I am presently driving around in a $1300 Ford Taurus station wagon, usually in shop grease-stained clothes, and with our two dogs in the filthy back seat (we hike every day that the weather allows), I get the looks, I know what they are probably thinking, but I don't care.

Poignant, because one of my mantra's/rules for myself the last few years is "Don't judge.". Well of course I judge, but the point is, don't judge someone unless you know them, what their life is like and what they might be going through. If you get to know them, and they are a pompous *******, then fine, judge away (I do!).

So while I get the looks and know I could probably BUY 3 or 4 of the 7-Elevens I am pulling my dirty $1300 car up to, it grounds me in my "don't judge" philosophy all the more.

And I did read The Millionaire Next Door, and it is totally me....

(I am buying myself a 1-3 year old SUV this spring though......!)

Last edited:
Back in the 1980s, I was a teen ager (barely of driving age)...I went to Sacramento for a wedding, wearing my best clothes. I stopped at a Porsche dealership to check out the 944s. A sales guy asked if I wanted to do a test drive. Usually, I'm ignored when I go into high-end electronics stores or car dealerships (like the one in Honolulu that sells Lambos and Ferarris). How you dress matters, in some situations. But in Hawaii, as Koolau said, there's no knowing who's wealthy, and who's in debt.

First, Gilligan, let me congratulate you on your choice of vessel. But don't you think it looks a wee bit small if the weather starts getting rough? That tiny ship could be lost.

Lovey and I would be keen on taking a short tour with you, though.

Cheers,

Thurston

When my wife & I were running our business we decided on our day off to go car shopping. We arrived in T shirt & jeans and one salesman after another said they were busy and passed us onto the next one. We left and the next day I wrote a letter to the manager at the dealership on our letterhead telling him how we were treated and how they lost a 30k sale and a customer. I also suggested that he required his sales team to read The Millionaire Next Door.

^ I like that!! Lol
I suppose, no reply from the dealership happened thou.

When my wife & I were running our business we decided on our day off to go car shopping. We arrived in T shirt & jeans and one salesman after another said they were busy and passed us onto the next one. We left and the next day I wrote a letter to the manager at the dealership on our letterhead telling him how we were treated and how they lost a 30k sale and a customer. I also suggested that he required his sales team to read The Millionaire Next Door.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/the-value-of-lbym-98050-9.html Post #168

As a young man 30 years ago, I went into a bank that I banked at, to acquire about getting a loan for some land. I didn't know the ag loan officer, but in so many words discouraged me from getting a loan or buying that property. He didn't know me and being young and not dressed very well or I didn't have a name in the community we refused my requested to trying to get a loan.
I did get that episode back to the bank. I had more money in that bank then what that loan was. I beleive at that time I had 4 times more. Lol

If I had been older, well dressed or had a name he could associate wealth with, he would of bent over backwards to help me. I got turned down and that always hurt me.

Years latter I got a loan from the same bank for over 30K for 25 years (in early 80's) and paid it off in 2 years. I got a real nice letter from that bank and was told personally not many could do what I did. I think they felt some regrets what they did to me years earlier.

I had always heard that you should dress nicely when you go to a car dealership so they'll take you seriously. Well, way back in 1999, I was dressed up for yard work, as I was planning on going over to my grandmother's house and raking leaves. My uncle also needed me to take him to the car dealer. His '97 Silverado had eaten its transmission, but under warranty thankfully. So the plan was to take him to the dealer, get his truck, and then go do some yard work at Grandmom's.

Well, we get to the dealer, and my uncle says "hey, while we're here, why don't we go look at the new trucks!" At the time, I was driving an '89 Gran Fury that used to be a police car, and had an appetite for premium. I had a second job delivering pizzas, and that car wasn't the best for that type of work. It was rugged, but not exactly fuel-efficient. Luckily, fuel was still somewhat cheap.

Anyway, a salesman came over, and we said we were just looking. He was able to pull off the trick of being around to be helpful if needed, yet not hovering, pushy, and annoying. I was most likely wearing either beat up shorts, or sweatpants, and a t-shirt. My uncle tended to dress like a Walton. As in, "Walton's Mountain", not "Walmart". Still, the guy didn't seem to pass any judgement whatsoever. He let us take out a couple of trucks, none that I really liked, at least at the price I wanted to pay. I also really didn't need a truck.

Anyway, by the time that little "take me to the dealer so I can get my truck" excursion ended with me coming home with a brand new 2000 Intrepid (it was a Dodge/Chevy/Isuzu dealer). When my Dad wanted to get a used car, in 2003, we went back to that dealership, and the same salesguy was there. My Dad bought a used '03 Regal from him.

I liked that salesman. I'd almost be tempted to track him down the next time I want to buy a car, but then I just realized, "it's later than you think." I just searched his name on Whitepages.com, and, presuming it's the same guy, he's 78 now! I guess it's possible he's still selling cars somewhere, but seriously, I hope he's out there enjoying his retirement...early or otherwise!

Now, a few people did judge me, after I bought that Intrepid. I was only 29 at the time, so maybe that made a few people take notice. Single 29 year olds usually don't buy new cars that big. I remember taking it to my pizza delivery job that first night, and one of the insiders, who never paid me much attention, suddenly let out a squeal when she saw it and said "Andre will you marry me??" And, one or two customers asked me about it, and how I could afford a car like that. It really wasn't any of their business, but I explained to them that I had a full-time job, and this was my second.

I also remember someone, who was driving a fairly new Honda Civic at the time, asking why I bought an Intrepid? He said "That just screams FAMILY!!" I was like c'mon now, it's an Intrepid, not a Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS with wire wheels, whitewalls, and a padded top!

The only other time I bought a new car was in 2012, when I bought an end-of-the-model year 2012 Dodge Ram. I had already done a lot of email back and forth the night before, and was planning to pay cash for it, so when I went in the next day, I wasn't overly concerned about how I was dressed. Most likely, it was just shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt again. My uncle went along again this time, so he could drive my car back, in case I actually bought it. One odd little detail I noticed about the sales guy though. He was dressed up fairly nice, in slacks and a white button-up shirt, and black dress shoes. But he was wearing white ankle socks with the shoes. On one hand, that's a bit of a fashion faux pas, but I guess you could also argue that his shirt matched his socks! It's funny, the little details that can stick in your memory.

He was dressed up fairly nice, in slacks and a white button-up shirt, and black dress shoes. But he was wearing white ankle socks with the shoes. On one hand, that's a bit of a fashion faux pas, but I guess you could also argue that his shirt matched his socks!

~ 50 years ago a guy I knew in Toronto got a job selling used cars; he went to one of those warehouse/wholesale type places and bought a bunch of tacky mismatched jackets/pants.

His rationale: People who shopped for used cars at the sort of outlet where he was employed wanted to feel that they were 'smarter than the salesman' - his (carefully unselected) attire reinforced that image in their minds.

I had more money in that bank then what that loan was. I beleive at that time I had 4 times more. Lol

Reminds me of the time the locally-owned bank sent my mother a notice that they were going to start imposing some sort of new fee on her checking account.

She went into the bank, filled out a withdrawal slip for the entire amount of her savings account (she'd recently received a non-trivial inheritance) and casually passed it to the teller.

It didn't take long before she was whisked off to the branch manager's office, where he bent over backward to apologize and try to convince her to stay with that bank.

Those were simpler times.

Back
Top Bottom