How Long Did it Take Your Investment Portfolio to Rebound from Great Recession?

65/35 split
Peaked Oct 2007
Bottomed Feb 2009
Recovered to Oct 2007 level on Mar 2010, dropped a bit then fully recovered Sep 2010
End to end, 3 years and I didn't adjust my AA during the whole time.

Now's its twice the Sep 2010 amount.

Last edited:
Our lowest was in March of 2009. Net worth recovered completely sometime in 2012. So about 3 years. This is while living off investments and we paid cash for a new house in 2010.

13 months. July '08 was the previous peak, which I passed August '09.

We were making regular contributions, however, throughout the drop and I had shifted the allocation more towards bonds in '06.

I was contributing the whole time so I created a Quicken Portfolio Performance Report from 10/31/2007 to various dates until the IRR turned from negative to positive and it was about 3 1/2 years from the 2007 peak down to the bottom and back up to even after considering cash flow and reinvested dividends.

I have no idea how long it took to recover because I was socking a lot of money into the market all the way down and all the way up. But the growth has been simply incredible in the bull market. I can't tell at which point I became "even" again, and honestly, I don't even know how I'd figure that out when calculating in the size of all my new contributions.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I don't know how low my NW got in early 2009 since I didn't look. At the time I was just trying to keep my job in a collapsing construction industry.
In March 2009 I joined this forum and the market turned around. For this, I thank all of you. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom