How low can TV prices go?

I wasn't aware of the ATSC 3.0 tuners.

From https://www.techhive.com/article/35...tters-should-plan-for-antenna-tv-upgrade.html

the Federal Communications Commission is requiring all broadcasters to simulcast an ATSC 1.0 version of their primary channel’s programming until at least February 2023, and the FCC could still push that cutoff date back further.

I wouldn't sweat spending a couple hun now for a TV that will be incompatible (without and adapter) in a few years at the earliest. Of course if you are an early adopter, go ahead and "Blow that dough" ASAP.

It sort of makes me think the Cable and Satellite companies might like this ATSC 3.0 thing. It might, maybe, push some OTA people back to them for the short term.

My dad was always a LBYM type (a trait he didn't pass on to me) but he always wanted to stay ahead of the "Jones" across the street... When I was about 10 years old he bought a ~79 cent three color plastic cover for our black and white TV that looked something like this..

5b3473f3b5f5c22dbd1bf4485e1858c0.jpg

Then he would brag to the neighbors that we had the first color TV on the block. We actually used if for a few days.

I remember seeing these advertised!!

Yep. Every time I walk into Costco and see the HD monster TVs at prices I paid for my 42", I feel like a real idiot but YMMV.

I haven't had a TV since 2009, and watch all my "TV" on my 24" desktop computer monitor.

My brother and his wife in the UK live a very comfortable middle-class lifestyle. They do have a TV, but it is also very modest in size - probably about the same size as my computer monitor. I don't go back to the UK very often, but get the impression that very large TV's are not as popular there. I know a lot of folk like very large screens, but I don't like a TV screen to dominate the room.

Our largest TV is still only 55". From time to time, I think about getting a larger one, but just don't do it.

I wasn't aware of the ATSC 3.0 tuners.

From https://www.techhive.com/article/35...tters-should-plan-for-antenna-tv-upgrade.html

I wouldn't sweat spending a couple hun now for a TV that will be incompatible (without and adapter) in a few years at the earliest. Of course if you are an early adopter, go ahead and "Blow that dough" ASAP.

It sort of makes me think the Cable and Satellite companies might like this ATSC 3.0 thing. It might, maybe, push some OTA people back to them for the short term.

Just have to look at who owns OTA network TV, and this becomes clear.

As for being an early adopter - Next Gen TV is now tentatively scheduled to kick off in aro. 60 markets in mid 2021. It was supposed to kick off now, but Covid-19 is being blamed for the delay -

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/atsc-30-deployments-where-and-when-will-nextgen-tv-be-available

I'm still thinking that retailers of TVs are quietly liquidating their current TV inventory of ATSC 1.0 tuner TVs (and DVRs).

Last edited:
Another happy Panasonic plasma household here - ours is 50" and at least 13 years old but still looks good. I was thinking about treating us to an OLED for Christmas but had not heard of the ATSC 3.0 issue, so now more research to do since we'll probably keep the next set a long time as well. Thanks for the tips.

Another happy Panasonic plasma household here - ours is 50" and at least 13 years old but still looks good. I was thinking about treating us to an OLED for Christmas but had not heard of the ATSC 3.0 issue, so now more research to do since we'll probably keep the next set a long time as well. Thanks for the tips.
I have a Panasonic plasma TV also, 55" in my case. I purchased it from Amazon in 2013 for around $1300 delivered. Seems expensive now! It didn't back then.

It still looks gorgeous and I don't watch much TV, so I have no motivation to buy another one.
I haven't had a TV since 2009, and watch all my "TV" on my 24" desktop computer monitor.
If my TV becomes obsolete, I'll follow your lead. I don't really use my TV much at all so it's not worth spending another penny on a new one.

We've owned an LG plasma TV for awhile now, and I'm probably going to cry when it dies. Wish they had kept up the technology, but although it was the best picture around, it was too expensive to compete with cheap LCD/LED TVs, and also couldn't be profitably built under a 42" screen.

The only thing I don't like about the plasma is the power consumption and heat throw off.

My brother and his wife in the UK live a very comfortable middle-class lifestyle. They do have a TV, but it is also very modest in size - probably about the same size as my computer monitor. I don't go back to the UK very often, but get the impression that very large TV's are not as popular there. I know a lot of folk like very large screens, but I don't like a TV screen to dominate the room.

I have a Panasonic plasma TV also, 55" in my case. I purchased it from Amazon in 2013 for around $1300 delivered. Seems expensive now! It didn't back then.

It still looks gorgeous and I don't watch much TV, so I have no motivation to buy another one.

If my TV becomes obsolete, I'll follow your lead. I don't really use my TV much at all so it's not worth spending another penny on a new one.

Computer Monitors usually don't have TV tuners for OTA TV.

I read some time ago (things might have changed) that the United Kingdom average TV size is 37".

Computer Monitors usually don't have TV tuners for OTA TV.
I know... I thought that's why Major Tom said "TV" (with the quote marks) instead of TV. I probably misunderstood.

I am thinking I'll just confine my television to simply watching streaming video on my computer, like I do now.

Speaking of which, Frank discovered that the old TV show "Mannix" is free on youtube. We have enjoyed watching several episodes of it on my TV, although I could have watched it on my computer instead. For some reason, we like Mannix better than modern shows (probably because we are old fogies).

My TV is also my computer screen. I do my computer/internet stuff on a 65" screen from the comfort of a recliner with a cordless mouse and keyboard.

I know... I thought that's why Major Tom said "TV" (with the quote marks) instead of TV. I probably misunderstood.

I am thinking I'll just confine my television to simply watching streaming video on my computer, like I do now.

Speaking of which, Frank discovered that the old TV show "Mannix" is free on youtube. We have enjoyed watching several episodes of it on my TV, although I could have watched it on my computer instead. For some reason, we like Mannix better than modern shows (probably because we are old fogies).
If you want more choice on your computer, download Bluestacks and CinemaHD for current and historical Movies and TV Shows. You can also get it on Firesticks for your TV. Queen's Gambit, Devils and NeXt just some recent ones.

Does all this mean that ATSC 1.0 sets will work just fine if you never receive OTA TV signals? We're in a TV reception hole and can't get much of anything OTA so all our content is delivered via internet. If they'll be blowing out leftover ATSC 1.0 sets there may be some killer deals for buyers like me who have no need for ATSC 3.0.

Does all this mean that ATSC 1.0 sets will work just fine if you never receive OTA TV signals? We're in a TV reception hole and can't get much of anything OTA so all our content is delivered via internet.

Impacts OTA broadcasts only. No impact to streaming and no need for a 3.0 tuner in the future if you don't get OTA signals.

This ATSC 3.0 article from July indicates ATSC 1.0 could continue to be broadcast for many years in the future:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/atsc-3-0-ota-broadcast-standard-4k-dolby-atmos/

It’s worth mentioning that if you have no interest in the benefits of ATSC 3.0, you can simply stick with existing ATSC 1.0 broadcasts. Unlike the switch from analog NTSC video to digital ATSC video, which was a mandatory one, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved ATSC 3.0 in a way that allowed stations to broadcast in the new format on a voluntary basis. More to the point, stations that do voluntarily broadcast in ATSC 3.0 must continue to offer ATSC 1.0 signals for at least five years after the switch.

Since 3.0 is voluntary, I can't see any station/broadcaster rushing to stop 1.0 broadcasts (even after 5 years) and risk losing OTA viewers without 3.0 receivers - not to mention p!ssing them off.

I think the original thought (years ago) was to turn off 1.0 in 2023. Ha ha, that ain't happening. The 3.0 rollout has been slow. And of course, the pandemic has thrown another road block into the mix.

This is not unlike the digital transition. There was all this optimism initially about a quick rollout, and then the final turn off was much later than first envisioned.

I'm guessing 1.0 will be around until the late 20's.

Much like ATSC 2.0, ATSC 3.0 may die before it is fully rolled out and ATSC 4.0 becomes reality. Only Joking. Ain't technology great? :dance:

Yes, that's why I used the quote marks - because, although I'm watching TV programming on my computer, I'm not doing it from an off-air signal, but from streaming.

Back about 15-16 years or so ago I decided to buy the biggest tube tv I could find because tube tv's were becoming old school and I wanted to get one before they disappeared. They were still supposed to be better at contrast and dark levels ( I think) and were known for long lives.
Well I ended up with a 34 inch Sony Trinitron that was considered an HDTV at the time which I think meant up to 1080i resolution.
I kid you not that weighed 208 lbs. and required me to get one of my weight lifting work colleagues to set it on the stand. It cost $2100!
The picture looked really good compared to my previous sets and I was a happy camper.

In the mid-90's I went big-time and picked up an open-box special (Toshiba I believe) at BestBuy - only $1000! - a 36" glass-tube wide-screen (16:9 ratio) TV - built-in satellite receiver!. It weighed 215 pounds. I had read that this model had issues with power supplies, so I purchased a service contract. I added 'in-home' repair due to the weight.

Within a year the power went out, and it was repaired in-home within a couple of days.

It moved with us just once. After that, we began downsizing and the parents inherited it. When *they* moved (to assisted living) it was finally sold, still working (although I think the picture had degraded a bit). 20 good years from that thing.

Now my parents and brother and ourselves have had nothing but flat-screen 'smart' TV's for at least the last five years. Ours are all 32" or so, everyone else has opted for 50"+.

At Best Buy, they are selling a Hisense 65" Class H6510G Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV for $250.00. And a 55" is $200.

Wow!
That is amazing, especially knowing you can easily spend 10 or even 20 times that on a 65" OLED from a top tier brand. It would be interesting to see them side by side, with challenging content (contrast, color, fast action, sound) - and ask yourself if it's 10-20 times better? Though you don't have anything to compare to at home, so anything will look better at home...
Premium designs won't be found in Hisense's sub-$500 TV selection, but if you don't mind chunky designs and plastic construction, it's not much of an issue. And don't hold your breath for fancy voice interaction, since Hisense TVs don't offer it.

More noticeable are picture- and sound-quality issues. Inaccurate color and poor contrast aren't uncommon, though some of that can be fixed by fine-tuning the picture settings. Backlight issues mean that many of the TVs marketed as supporting HDR won't have the same dramatic bright colors and deep shadows that you'd get on a more expensive TV.

Finally, you'll want to get a soundbar with pretty much any Hisense TV, since the sound quality of the built-in speakers tends to disappoint.

Bottom line
This is the bargain you make as a shopper when buying a low-end product: Lower prices mean lower quality. Hisense offers basic products, and does so at bargain prices year-round. It does so by saving wherever possible, and passing the savings on to you. It all comes down to what you consider acceptable, both in terms of price and quality.

Last edited:
I just moved a 60" plasma television, and it took a come a long to get it down off the wall above a fireplace. Thankfully they can be turned on their side and moved with a rolling cart.

Tuesday 5:00 a.m., Walmart has 40 inch smart televisions for $88. I have a Hisense that's a 55 inch a year old and it's doing fine.

Snoop Gone

These "Smart TV's" can tell what you are watching, no matter the source, by a kind of finger printing technology that looks at certain pixel colors and changes. So if you tell the TV your WiFi password, it will phone home that you what you watched, even if it came off a thumb drive from your brother in-law.

Not easy to avoid giving it your WiFi password, but I'm using a Viseo that way... just as a monitor for a computer which has OTA recordings (HDHomeRun), stuff I've downloaded, and YouTube. I also have a Chromecast so stuff on the phone can play on the big TV. That's also a snoop problem, but they make it surprisingly difficult to put a phone screen on a TV nowadays, probably due to concerns about "ripping". Quite silly, really, because people always find a way around any "copy protection". Disappointing that the new OTA standard will attempt copy protection. I bet it will be cracked before it's deployed.

Back
Top Bottom