How many have bought something "cool" after an inheritance?

I received a small inheritance when my father died a few years ago. I took a portion of it and had hardwood floors laid in a couple of my rooms. I really enjoy those floors and it is a nice reminder of my dad.

I remember reading about a famous cellist who used the proceeds from his late parents' life insurance policies to buy a superb cello. He said he always bought a separate seat for it when he traveled by plane. I'm sure his parents would have loved that.

When my 92-year old mom died nearly 7 years ago, my husband and I each bought 5k mountain bikes, and we gave our son 5k. The rest we used to put a down payment on a condo and an empty lot in a well-located development .

No regrets. We enjoy our mountain bikes a few times each week 9 months of the year, and the biking is good for body and soul. We love our condo (our full-time home). The lot has appreciated about 26%, and the condo has appreciated 40%+.

Although, I agree with the poster that said I would happily give it all back to have my parents alive and well.

I remember reading about a famous cellist who used the proceeds from his late parents' life insurance policies to buy a superb cello. He said he always bought a separate seat for it when he traveled by plane. I'm sure his parents would have loved that.
Well, he could have saved a lot of money by buying a piccolo instead.

I set aside money to buy a new car after my Dad died. It took me about 1 1/2 years to get around to it, but I bought a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid with part of my inheritance. I'm very happy with my car. I gifted a lot of money to young people I knew who could use $5000 or $10,000 to change their lives.

The rest was invested and provides a nice income.

When my mom died there was just enough left for me to buy a new camera.

We are inheriting a decent amount from my FIL, and it’s got me way less concerned about our spending. I pulled the trigger on a new camera and lens as a result. If my wife ever overcomes her analysis paralysis, we’ll also be adding a new dishwasher, sofa and chair. The rest is all going into VTI.

3 months ago this month we received a much larger than expected inheritance, my share of the sale of my parents home. We did not factor any inheritance from any of our parents in our plans, so this amount we really have not touch yet other than gifting some of it to our kids. I did buy an additional car in 2019 but that had already been factored into my retirement plans as of one my "gifts" to myself, so I can't count that. :)

Two cars in one year. Not thoroughly an indulgence, and definitely unplanned.

I inherited in late spring 2009, when my dad passed away. DS started college in 2010. Part of the inheritance was gifted for several years before that into his college education as well as that of his two cousins in individual 529 plans. The inheritance tipped us into FIRE territory a bit earlier than expected.

I had purchased a new Prius two months before dad passed away, and my son was going to use my 15 year old Volvo, for the many things a high school senior does. But that car nearly caught fire 6 months later when a major short circuit occurred. So we bought a slightly used car for him.

It was strange buying two cars in one year, and buying without any financial fears.

My wife and I will be inheriting a portion of my MIL's properties. Unfortunately, the wife and I will do all the work in maintanence and selling while the other 4 siblings wait for their sizeable inheritance. We inherited a headache.

We bought out what remained of our 15 yr mortgage, remodeled the kitchen, and invested the rest.

DW inherited money from an aunt. We used it to buy a lake lot upon which we built our current home.

I paid off my mortgage. Yes, I'm that boring. :)

I thought about it- I owe about $63K on a 3% fixed-rate mortgage. Then I remembered that as a teenager Mom told me once that they had enough to pay off their mortgage but were not going to. I was bewildered; my parents pretty much shunned all debt. The closest they'd get to it was Mom buying furniture on "90 days same as cash" and being SCRUPULOUS about paying before the 90 days were up.

Now I understand.:D Many discussions here on the subject of paying off a mortgage and we all make the decision that's right for us.

About 20 years ago my DH inherited about $100k from his grandmother. Within the year, I inherited another $100k from my parents. We actually did something cool and used about $40k of it to buy an RV (Class C Born Free). My DD was 1 year old when we bought it and we had so many great experiences in that thing (four of us - added another DD three years later). Mountains, beaches, amusement parks (Disney is a lot cheaper in an RV - you're on property so you get the perks but you can also prepare some of your own meals), music festivals, you name it. It was life changing for my DH and I. In fact, that RV was such an experience for us that my DH started an RV business himself that is pretty successful. The rest of the $200k? We invested in his business.

So nobody bought a ‘52 Mantle or ‘57 Chevy?

When my father-in-law passed 2 yrs ago, we paid down a sizable chunk of our mortgage, refi’d, and are now on target to be paid off before retirement. Boring. But……..then hubby took $4k and dropped it on some blinged out stereo speakers. Yes he’s an oldschool audiophile! And now every time he listens to these speakers he thanks his dad for the 40’ish years he spent in the plumbing trades and for the life lessons he passed along to him.

Cute, sentimental, and head-banging all at the same time!

I got $2200 from some insurance and 1/2 a house when my mom died. My sister has been living in the home rent free for the last 9 years. I can't decide whether I'm compassionate for not kicking her no savings butt to the curb, or if I just have no backbone. I did tell her two years ago to start looking and getting on a list for subsidized senior housing because that takes a while. She hasn't.

Nothing to date but when my step mom passes I will get a share of a mystery amount. Hope it’s a long time from now.

Yes. Got a little inheritance from my mother, finally. My mother died in 2010, there was a piece of property that had a number of issues, and finally somebody decided to buy it. That closed the estate.

What I purchased, a little longer story. I lost my husband in 2019. And I had our wedding rings. My husband had rheumatoid arthritis and he was no longer wearing his, and I lost a bunch of weight and I was no longer wearing mine. Many years back, our house was broken into and my original wedding band had been stolen. Seven years later, we found it at a pawnshop, on our wedding anniversary, and we bought it back. So I had three rings.

They were not plain bands, they were about 8 mm wide, and an intricate pattern of berries and leaves and sticks. I wanted to wear them, somehow, and spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what to do. I hit upon the idea of making a cuff bracelet. I did some research, and it sounded as if it was as easy as finding the proper place to cut them, flatten them, put them together and then make a cuff out of it.

I took the rings to my jeweler, and his son was working that day, and he wasn’t sure if this was possible and then he overheard his father in the back yell — yes it is we’ve done it before! It was $850, and I wear that bracelet frequently. I call it my power bracelet. It’s gorgeous.

Attachments

• 0B9F5E67-4878-406F-9BC5-B3251C0936F9.jpg
    0B9F5E67-4878-406F-9BC5-B3251C0936F9.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 57
Cerys, your story brought tears to my eyes!

What an absolutely beautiful memento you created. :smitten:

Yes. Got a little inheritance from my mother, finally. My mother died in 2010, there was a piece of property that had a number of issues, and finally somebody decided to buy it. That closed the estate.

What I purchased, a little longer story. I lost my husband in 2019. And I had our wedding rings. My husband had rheumatoid arthritis and he was no longer wearing his, and I lost a bunch of weight and I was no longer wearing mine. Many years back, our house was broken into and my original wedding band had been stolen. Seven years later, we found it at a pawnshop, on our wedding anniversary, and we bought it back. So I had three rings.

They were not plain bands, they were about 8 mm wide, and an intricate pattern of berries and leaves and sticks. I wanted to wear them, somehow, and spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what to do. I hit upon the idea of making a cuff bracelet. I did some research, and it sounded as if it was as easy as finding the proper place to cut them, flatten them, put them together and then make a cuff out of it.

I took the rings to my jeweler, and his son was working that day, and he wasn’t sure if this was possible and then he overheard his father in the back yell — yes it is we’ve done it before! It was $850, and I wear that bracelet frequently. I call it my power bracelet. It’s gorgeous.

DW took all the old ladies watches from my side of family and her's, and took them to a family friend, who was a jeweler designer/repairman. Made a custom bracelet from about 7 watches and some extra gold. Fabulous piece, valued over $20,000 !

I inherited $50k unexpectedly from my uncle this year. I’m saving it to pay the taxes on my Roth conversions once I turn 66 (no conversions now while using the ACA). It never occurred to me to buy something with it!

Back
Top Bottom