How much do you need a month to life and enjoy?

ESRBob said:
Flowgirl -- this is a great quote!  Its the sort of idea that works on people until they finally get the ER mindset -- sounds like you guys are there.  How long until you do 'have the time?"  Good luck

I think we are there mentally, but unfortunately have a ways to go financially- we're only 31 years-old.  Husband also loves his job right now (and in fact is in the middle of his dream assignment) and is pretty set on finishing his 20 year military career.  If he had a normal type job we'd probably do the "year or two around the world" thing and be less focused on ER.

So still have 11 years to go... but having fun along the way.  We're in Japan until late 2008, which at times feels like a vacation - only with the goverment footing the bill.

FlowGirl said:
I think we are there mentally, but unfortunately have a ways to go financially- we're only 31 years-old. Husband also loves his job right now (and in fact is in the middle of his dream assignment) and is pretty set on finishing his 20 year military career. If he had a normal type job we'd probably do the "year or two around the world" thing and be less focused on ER.

So still have 11 years to go... but having fun along the way. We're in Japan until late 2008, which at times feels like a vacation - only with the goverment footing the bill.

Sweet

My father spent his Korean war Rand R in Japan winter near Mt Fiji, I have some great pics from that time.

Hey enjoy the work, at 31 you have so much time to love what you do.

Lets see I turn 50 sunday and hey the dtate of NJ says we will give you 32,000 a year with medical bennies and a COLA every 12 months, $hit teaching in Newark, NJ I say I am outta here and will sell kayaks part time and go fishing in North Carolina.

Now I nedd to sell the house, the best thing about that is I paid 230,000 10 years ago NEVER TOOK A HOME EQUITY OR LINE OF CREDIT on the place and owe 199,000 , I am priced 25,000 less than every other house on the market, so we shall see.

Life is sweet enjoy everyday, never promised tomorrow.

Newguy,
Sounds like you're moving ahead in your thinking. I haven't sold a house in awhile, but maybe I can earn you a quick 15 or 20k -- price your house a little closer to the Jones? and wait it out a few months? I dunno.. maybe your conditions are different there but while psychologically you are ready to bail, you don't have to open a firesale either... you'll want every dollar in that nestegg and have many years ahead of you to contemplate what life might have been like if you had an extra 25k

Back
Top Bottom