How much does a blog make???

Yes, quoting myself here...

I just noticed that ABP allows you to disable ad blocking an a site-by-site basis. So you are now enabled Andy :flowers:, hopefully I don't find your ads too intrusive.

Hmmm, looks like I just got a pop-up window when closing an er.org tab. I hate windows popping up. Sorry, experiment over, ABP enabled.

-ERD50

Hmmm, looks like I just got a pop-up window when closing an er.org tab. I hate windows popping up. Sorry, experiment over, ABP enabled.

What "Tab" are you referring to? I use MSIE and have never seen a "popup" on this site... other than that "Poll" thing a week or so ago.

I don't have any "special" ad blocking programs loaded on my machines but I suspect that there is, most likely, some built-in version in IE and perhaps in the Google Toolbar. In any event, I do nothing special to block ads or spam -- I need all the memory I can have for important things. (I am limited to 3gb in 32bit OS.) In addition, I don't have patience to wait for "something" to clear the decks before loading the screen.

What "Tab" are you referring to? I use MSIE and have never seen a "popup" on this site... other than that "Poll" thing a week or so ago.

Firefox (and most other browsers) have tabbed browsing. Just another form of a window, but attached to a main window. Just like the tabbed spreadsheets in Excel. It's possible the pop-up was not related (but it seemed to be), but I'm not going to bother to find out, the ads didn't add value for me, I doubt I'd ever click one anyhow, but thats just me.

In addition, I don't have patience to wait for "something" to clear the decks before loading the screen.

I don't know how much memory ABP takes, it isn't a problem for me at any rate, since even fully loaded I have plenty of free memory out of my 3Gig, but that is user and OS dependant. I suppose it is possible that it is conserving memory by not loading the ads? I dunno.

And this isn't scientific, but it appears to me that everything runs faster with ABP enabled. I guess it saves the time of loading the ads, and it seems some of those ad servers can be notoriously slow. Again, not scientific, just an impression I got.

Obviously a personal choice and dependent on circumstances. Just sharing my observations.

-ERD50

We do not serve pop-up or pup-under ads so I don't know what could have caused that.

ABP prevents the page from waiting for ads to load so it could speed up rendering of the page.

We do not serve pop-up or pup-under ads so I don't know what could have caused that.

ABP prevents the page from waiting for ads to load so it could speed up rendering of the page.

I only jumped in because ERD50 mentioned a "er.org" tab.

I just got a pop-up window when closing an er.org tab

I thought I was missing out on something and couldn't go to sleep until... well you know.

Good to hear that about ABP (in the past that was rare behavior). I still consider ad-blockers a waste of resources on something that is so easily ignored, however.

OK, must have been something else then - thanks.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom