How much of your retirement income is "guaranteed"?

How much of your retirement income comes from "guaranteed" sources?

• 0% to 25%

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • 26% to 50%

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • 51% to 75%

Votes: 52 22.3%
  • 76% to 100%

Votes: 59 25.3%

• Total voters
About 10% of our income is from ACA subsidies, which I guess is guaranteed (at least it doesn't fluctuate with the stock and bond market). The only other thing is SS.

Making some assumptions, but I thought Canadians typically had more secure/guaranteed income than Americans, so I assumed none was almost unheard of. But I learn something new every day...

Probably 90+% guaranteed to be dependent on the attention I pay to it. Getting a tiny dab of social security, our stock holdings aren't guaranteed to be worth anything and the rentals and loans are worth something only IF I keep them ticking along and making payments.

So far 100% of my income is dividends and capital gains distributions from my taxable investments. I'm hoping that will continue to be the case until I'm able to collect SS. I suppose since neither dividends or CG distributions are guaranteed, I'd have to say 0%.

About 48%, but that will increase significantly when SS kicks in.

"Assuming" SS is guaranteed :confused: and FDIC banks are guaranteed :confused: then I'd say better than 80%.

Although not guaranteed in the event of the proverbial apocalyptic meteor strike or WWIII, absent those events the DB pension is about as close to 100% as one can get. SS will be gravy on top of that.

Making some assumptions, but I thought Canadians typically had more secure/guaranteed income than Americans, so I assumed none was almost unheard of. But I learn something new every day...

When it comes to retirement concerns, Canada and the U.S. are on equal footing | Financial Post

See the above article. Also, I am not typical. As a retired independent contractor, I have no pension income. I do have some rental income, but it is currently a small percentage of my expenses, and I do not consider it guaranteed. When I reach 60, 65, or 70, I will be able to draw some CPP, but it will be reduced as I did not move to and work in Canada till I was in my 30s. CPP is significantly less than SS. I expect that my OAS will be "clawed back" based on taxable income, which is why I am withdrawing from my tax sheltered accounts early, so that I will have lower RMDs when I am 71, and possibly avoid the clawback. So I currently have no "guaranteed" income. What I do have is guaranteed health insurance.

Last edited:
State pension, 58%
Rental income, 42%

TIAA-CREF interest @4% is reinvested, but can be taken at anytime if required and each year would provide about 40% of my spending

When US and UK social security payments begin those will be invested.

Last edited:
DH's pension (state pension system for municipal employees, 3% COLA) covers 115% of our living expenses. Then we have some PenFed CDs that add another 4%. It's not a huge pension and we don't have all that much in CDs, it's just that our cost of living is fairly low. That's the "guaranteed" income.

Anything extra just gets saved because stuff breaks and sh!t happens....meaning that as we get older medical expenses come up and our house needs more work.

Still coming out ahead.

We were very surprised that DH was able to retire at 55, we could live as comfortably as when he worked and still be able to save anything. We live off the pension, save the extra, and my PT income (not guaranteed) goes to savings, usually my Roth IRA or the HSA.

I'm 60 and I'll consider SS at 62. I don't want to take it until Medicare age of 65 at the soonest and most likely will wait until my FRA of 66 and 2 months.

Last edited:
Difficult to answer. The current plan has us at about 30% "guaranteed" from age 62 to 70 when SS would be collected. After 70 we would probably be looking at just about the break point in the poll, 75%. If we were to collect SS at 62, then we would be about 55%. So, depending on the scenario, I could fit into 3 of the four buckets. Currently, DW is still bringing in an income, so we are at maybe 8%, due to my collecting a small pension.

I'll check back in 10 years and let you know.;)

0% to 2% now w/o SS but with ACA subsidy, then about 20% when SS starts in about 4-5 yrs.

Not retired until 2017 but will have 0% coming from some type of "guaranteed", everything will come from stocks and bonds.
Have a lump sum pension which will just go into the market (pension option has no COLA), a 401K which will stay in the market and our taxable account which is cash and market investments (taxable account to cover us from 2017 to 2027 when 401K and Lump will be used). Will not really get much from SS (maybe beer money? as I have worked overseas and not paid into it since leaving the military (not retired)).

No income from guaranteed sources until SS kicks in, which is still many, many years away.

In 22.5 years, 100% of our living expenses will be covered by my reduced SS, his FRA SS, my small pension, and one rental income unit. We will be 62 and 79.5 years old then. Of course that is a long ways away, so I am sure something will change by then. My pension is probably the highest risk asset I have as my state's elected officials are trying to run the state pension system into the ground on purpose. The pension is non-Cola'd and I have to put in 6% of my income.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

15 years from ss (70) which will cover > 100% of non-discretionary expenses. We have a substantial non-discretionary including travel that we hope to fund with our investments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once SS starts for both of us and a small pension for DW, we should be over 50%, but thats still a few years down the road.

Planning on retiring next year...0% will be guaranteed for the first 15-20 years of retirement.

SS will be our only guaranteed income.

I have distinguished between income and budget. Budget sources
-Social Security
-Guaranteed Pensions
-Retirement Accounts mandatory withdrawals
Total is between 75% and 100% of our current retirement expenses.

Our total income is much higher so the percentage would be less. I have not included bonds in the base budget since their total returns are volatile.

Back
Top Bottom