• About once a week

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • About once a month

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • What is floss?

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I seldom floss, but i use these several times a week. Dentist confirmed they work almost as good, and are a lot easier to use and carry.
I carry a pack of these in my purse. Pretty effective at getting out food particles in between teeth. :)

I was on active duty in the Navy in Rota, Spain in the early 1970's. When you got there and went through the check-in process, one stop, of course, was at the dental clinic. They wouldn't immediately sign you up for flossing class. Yes; I'm serious and this would only happen in the military. Before they would make your first dental appointment, you had to have attended flossing class. I don't remember how long it lasted, probably somewhere from a couple of hours to a full morning. You got the theory of flossing, watched a dentist floss some fake teeth and then had ample time to practice on your own teeth. At the end you had to use disclosing tablets which would clearly show up areas you had missed with the floss and then you could go back and refloss them. I thought it was really stupid at the time. I was in my mid-20's back then, will be 70 next week and am still flossing pretty regularly. So, stupid or not, it apparently stuck.

I voted "Every day" because that's the highest frequency, but in fact I floss after every meal, or a snack.

That's at least twice a day when I do not eat breakfast, and usually it's 3 times or higher.

Daily.

I am amazed at the amount of junk that flossing removes even after two minutes of brushing. If I skip a day for some reason, I have to floss over the city dump or be cited for trashing the neighborhood.

On-topic: several times a week, and extra when stuff gets caught in between the molars. I don't carry dental insurance and I only visit the dentist every 2-3 years for an exam/cleaning, so flossing is essential.

Off-topic:
I was on active duty in the Navy in Rota, Spain in the early 1970's.
Spouse and I are planning to go back in September for a couple of months. Let me know if you're seeking any before-after photos.

Judging from our experience (spouse was stationed there 1983-85) you wouldn't recognize much. Even the air passenger terminal was heavily altered over the years, and the new passenger terminal is opening soon. The HF bullring was dismantled years ago, and most of the collection & analysis gear (let alone the comms systems) have been automated and remoted to other locations. Much to my surprise, the base's drive-in movie theater is still operating. But Rota itself has tripled in size over the last 30 years.

Some of the area's buildings are centuries old and a few decades won't have affected them. We even managed to find spouse's old apartment, although it was hard to recognize. If you have a street address then we'll see what we can find.

Last edited:
Too much energetic flossing can actually wear grooves in your teeth.

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom