How old is your laptop?

4.5 years. I'd upgrade, but everything works the way I want on this machine. Lena's newer laptop has some touchpad issue that I've never been able to resolve.

Have already had to replace the battery for over $100.

My solution is to get cheap batteries from

The Battery Connection items - Get great deals on Rechargeable AA Batteries, Earphones and Headphones items on eBay Stores!

Some have failed, but they've been replaced for free. At $26, I'll be they last almost as long as a $100 version.

Eww, I googled that. :eek: Leave it to a Texan... :rolleyes:

I'm really a [-]Yankee[/-] Hoosier transplant...

I had Rocky Mt Oysters at a weekend party in Tuscon AZ back in the 90s when I was there for a 2 week optics course.
We techno-geek students attended a BBQ party at a nearby dude ranch. The Western band leader wanted to see if any Easterners had the [-]bollocks[/-] nerve to try them. You KNOW I wasn't going to let that challenge go by.
They were actually delicious. The people at my table turned a little green watching me savor them in an exaggerated way for the benefit of the band leader. :ROFLMAO:

Gulp...

Based on the menu, someone or something was short on bollocks... :LOL:

What is the best way to donate old computers? I am always concerned about the info I have on my HDD.

mP

I have a MacBook given to me as a Christmas gift in 2006. I like it. I don't do much other than surf the net, e-mail and occasional stock trade on Schwab. My son had to replace the HD in August 2010.

Well, I'd like to get at least another year out of my Dell. I'm interested in the laptops that can send your computer internet wirelessly to the TV screen. (no cord) Can't remember what it is called. Something similar to Wifi.

I just bought a new Toshiba 18 inch and really enjoy it. My old laptop which is 7 years old and is now being used for word processing.

What is the best way to donate old computers? I am always concerned about the info I have on my HDD.

mP

I think if you have a restore disc that came with the computer to restore the computer back to the state it was when you first had it from the manufacturer, you should be fine.

If you don't have a restore disc, there is free software you can download to wipe your HD clean.

Not long ago, I bought an external HD but after using it for a few days, didn't like so. So before returning the HD for a refund, wiped the drive clean then restored it back to the factory state before returning.

Just purchased new 15 inch MacBook Pro. First time I have purchased a Mac. Prior to that owned Acers (until they became shoddy), Dells, Toshibas...etc. Tired of hard drive crashes and virus software. Taking some getting used but love it...very stable and made extremely well (should be for the price). Far easier to use than Toshiba with Win 7 on it (wasn't sure I could make the move to Mac so tried both ..and chose the Mac).

Paid over $1,300, ... Is three years all we can expect from one of these now a days?
Ouch! Yes, three years seems reasonable to me, so you shouldn't have paid $1300. Buy cheap, so it doesn't bother you to throw one away when it breaks. My wife is on her third laptop, which is an ASUS 15.6": Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-XA2 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories that I just bought her for $500. I can't recall what the previous two were, but I'm sure I'd never pay $1300 for a laptop. (I get desktops for myself.)

I have never bought a laptop. People give them to me. I have two 600m Dell's, one 1505 Dell, Two B130 Dell's . I see no reason to buy the new ones. These work perfect and I see no speed difference when surfing the internet. I replaced the power jacks on the B130's for a total of $6.00 and a rainy afternoon of my time. I had a person give me an HP Desktop last month. He said it was old and had got really slow. I reformatted it and the thing was fast and ran perfect. I donated it to the school and they love it. I would never in a million years pay what some people do for computers. Just learn a few tricks and a computer will last for 10 or more years. Tom

I have a low-end ASUS K-series, just one year old and doing fine. Before that was a Toshiba that died at 4 years. I buy 'em on sale when the old one crumps. I never look forward to getting a new computer, all the data transfer, reinstallation of software, getting the printer and networks hooked up, etc is just not fun.
When my laptop is plugged in (95% of the time) I keep the battery out and only at about 50% charge. When I go on the road a few times per month, it goes back in and gets cycled. I think this should help it live longer than keeping it in the laptop and always charging/charged up.

To Disappointed
Download the utility for the brand of hard drive you have and write it to all zero's. Have done that hundreds of times and it is quite easy. Your infor will be gone forever. Here is a link that you can download and do the erase.
CMRR - Secure Erase

I currently run an HP DV7 2185DX. 19" wide screen. 4 core CPU, 6 gigs of RAM, 7200 RPM 500 gb hard drive (replaced the slower drive it came with and sold that on Ebay). My wife inherited my Toshiba P105-6064 which I bought 5+ years ago. Son inherited a Compaq desktop from her when she inherited mine. We typically get 10 years out of systems using the inheritance model! After that, I part them out on Ebay (I get more for parts than complete systems). For battery replacements, I buy them on Amazon, off-brand, for about 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of the OEM brand (research when you do this, not all aftermarket batteries are good buys).

I had an Acer laptop from hell 7-8 years ago (weighed 14 lbs). It was what was called a desktop replacement. Full size 19" screen (not the widescreens which take up less space). More powerful desktop CPU (verses the power saving models used in most laptops), used normal faster ram instead of the smaller laptop sticks, etc. It was the one system we didn't "hand down" because my wife didn't want such a heavy laptop. Nice thing was I was able to sell it used for over $600.

Wife's Toshiba has decided in the last 6 months that its going to start dying. First a vertical white line appeared on the right side of the screen. I asked her if she wanted to replace the laptop or buy a new screen (about $125) and she said that she mainly used her external monitor so don't bother spending the money. Well, now the external monitor port has given up the ghost. I have a USB2VGA adapter which allows you to add another monitor through a USB port (I used it a couple of years ago when I had 4 monitors on my desktop because I multitask a lot!).

Well, its just not fast enough to be used as a primary monitor so I bit the bullet.... I have an old system with a dead motherboard. I purchased a new motherboard, 4 gig of RAM and 3 core AMD CPU for $167 including shipping and will be setting that up for her on Monday --- using the hard-drive from her laptop.

To Disappointed
Download the utility for the brand of hard drive you have and write it to all zero's. Have done that hundreds of times and it is quite easy. Your infor will be gone forever. Here is a link that you can download and do the erase.
CMRR - Secure Erase

Thanks, I have two computers that I would like to donate to the local charity org.

mP

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I know there are a couple of models coming out. Didn't want to be the first one on the block to buy, hence wanted to get some more time out on mine. Have not seen any price mentioned on them yet.

Also you need to plug box into your HDMI opening on your TV. I have a Sony LCD top of the line 3 years ago TV, but it only has one HDMI opening on it in the back, which is in use. Wonder if there is a splitter that can be used. Never heard of one. Anyone know?

Wonder if there is a splitter that can be used.
There are such devices, but my impression is that the ones which would work for home video are quite expensive. Monoprice.com has several models. You might look for an AVR (Audio-Visual Receiver) which can switch among several HDMI sources and route one to an HDMI output which goes to the TV. AVRs do more than just switch video, but unlike an HDMI splitter, they are standard mass consumer items, and you wouldn't necessarily have to get loudspeakers to hook up to one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom