How to Cancel Vanguard Mutual Fund Buy Order

CupCake

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi there!!! :D

I've been lurking around this board for a while now and I've finally decided to join.

I've just started getting serious about my IRA and I've been investing in mutual funds with Vanguard.

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I'm trying to find out how to cancel a mutual fund buy order on the Vanguard website. I know that the price of the mutual fund is calculated at the end of each trading day at the closing bell, and I've heard of people placing a mutual fund buy order early in the day, and then canceling the order before the closing bell at 4:00 pm if they don't like the way the stocks are moving.

I can't seem to find where to cancel an order when I log on to the Vanguard website. Can I cancel the buy order online on their website, or do I have to call Vanguard customer service and explain why I'm canceling an order:confused: :confused:

I usually don't believe in market timing like this, but with the Dow Jones moving up and down so erratically, I don't want to be caught throwing my IRA contribution in on a high day, only to lose a lot of it the very next day.

I know there are some Vanguard pros on this board so I would really appreciate any help you guys and gals could give me.

The answer: You can't. That is why vangurd notes that the order cannot be canceled on the confirmations screen, right before you push the "execute" button.

Hey CupCake,

I've heard of people placing a mutual fund buy order early in the day, and then canceling the order before the closing bell at 4:00 pm if they don't like the way the stocks are moving.

Welcome here.

This is news to me. I have always thought that once you have ok'd the trade or exchange online that you were stuck with that and could not make a change. I will be interested if anyone else has had experience in how to rewind a buy order.

I can't do it with Vanguard -- I can do it with all the other brokerages and fund families that I use -- as long as the cancel comes before the market close.

That's why I tend not to place Vanguard orders until very close to the end of the trading day. If it's early in the morning and the Dow is off 200, I think it might be a good day to move a chunk of my mom's Vanguard IRA from cash to Wellington and Wellesley. But then if the market rallies and finishes UP 300 and I have the trade locked in for the day, I'm hosed.

So I wait -- usually until I know there's not going to be a strong last-hour rally taking the market higher -- to place Vanguard mutual fund trades.

Same here. Wait till 3:45 (or 3:59) if you want to know approximately what price you are buying in at.

Me too, I usually place my orders at Vanguard between 3:30 and 3:59 p.m. ET.

Thanks for all the answers.

I guess I was wrong. I thought you could cancel orders on Vanguard, but I guess not. Looks like I'll be practicing market timing the old fashioned way (sitting in front of my computer hitting the refresh bottom to death between 3:00 and 4:00 pm) LOL :D.

I feel so guilty.>:D

I also place my Vanguard orders late in the day. However, there was one time when I placed an order to sell a Vanguard fund, intending to buy something cheaper at Fidelity, only to find that there was a typo on Fidelity's web site and the minimum purchase was really 10X what was shown. I called Vanguard and they were able to cancel the sell order for me - whew! :D

So it can be done, but it's not something I'd take advantage of except in situations like that. I considered it a huge favor since their web site makes it clear that orders may not be changed or canceled once they are placed.

Back
Top Bottom