How to Spray Olive Oil

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'd like to spray oil on pans when cooking, but don't want to use "Pam." I tried putting olive oil in a sprayer, but it come out as a stream rather than a mist.

Suggestions?

Pampered Chef sells one--we have one of theirs and it has worked well for a few years. I don't know what we paid for it (probably too much) but it would be easy to buy if you know a Pampered Chef pyramid scheme pusher agent.

ugh, pampered chef. DW bought a Pizza cooking rock, er stone from them for something like $60. Cooked no better than the pizza pan. :p

Is it just a matter of not wanting to use too much? We just drop a tablespoon into the pan and tilt it around until we get good coverage.

I just put a few drops or regular olive oil in the pan and spread it around with my the tips of my fingers....yes washed. I guess you could also spread with a paper towel or brush.

There's something wierd about Pam.. I could never bring myself to use it.. just seems too industrial! I did run out and buy a "Misto" when they first came out. Worked fine, but I quit using it since the few times I did it made my lungs really hurt from the oil aerosol, which I wasn't expecting. I wasn't going crazy with it.. just one or two normal arm's-length spritzes.

I think the Misto has a finer nozzle than a regular sprayer.. to really deal with the viscous oil.

If a drizzle is not the ticket (I just pour it on.. it's good for you!), I use a little dish and a silcone brush. The silicone doesn't hold a lot, but it's easier to clean than a bristle brush, and no stray bristles in the food.

I also bought one of these:
747130.jpg

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=747130

...but was underwhelmed. It looks spiffy, but I found it left too much unused oil in the bottom that went to waste. I like the oil to be as fresh as possible.

I've also seen squeeze-bottle affairs with a brush cap, but haven't checked them out. Supposedly for BBQ sauces, but might work for oil as well?

Trader Joes makes spray olive oil in a can, just like pam. Works great.

Here's another trick for those using a spray oil that are tired of wiping the overspray off your counters or washing it out of your sink. Open the dishwasher door, hold the pan (or whatever) in front of the open dishwasher, spray it for all its worth and then kick the door shut. All taken care of on the next wash cycle.

Just drizzle some in and swirl it around. Can't have too much. And always remember "hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick." Get your fingers out of the cold pan retire@40.

You could also deep fry everything in it and simplify the whole process.

Mmmmm...I havent made deep fried prime rib in a while. Thats a peanut oil item, not an olive oil one though.

I saw some of those tiny little baby artichokes in the supermarket yesterday...those are dang yummy lightly trimmed and deep fried in olive oil.

I'll have to plant artichokes at my new place...

Thanks. This sure is the "go to" place for info.

Is it just a matter of not wanting to use too much?

Yes, partly. Also I spray oil onto the bbq grill and on the ice cube trays.

What? Ice cube trays?

Yes, a very, very small amount of PAM on the trays makes the ice cubes pop out easily. I put the tray in the sink, and then do a microburst of PAM above it in the air.

I also spray PAM on my body when getting into my wet suit -- makes it easier to take off. I don't need olive oil for that.

I've used Misto for several years. Works very well. Don't overfill.

TromboneAl said:
Thanks. This sure is the "go to" place for info.

Yes, partly. Also I spray oil onto the bbq grill and on the ice cube trays.

What? Ice cube trays?

Yes, a very, very small amount of PAM on the trays makes the ice cubes pop out easily. I put the tray in the sink, and then do a microburst of PAM above it in the air.

I also spray PAM on my body when getting into my wet suit -- makes it easier to take off. I don't need olive oil for that.

It sounds like a string of jokes about to start about Wesson oil & Jello!!!

I'm surprised that the propellant in the pam doesnt degrade the wet suit.

I put oil on the grill by shutting it off, holding the pam can horizontal to the side of the grill to maximize the 'hit angle' and spraying. Dont spray while the burner is on, its quite flammable. Some goes between the grates, but if you hit it at close to 90 degrees its minimal.

You can also dunk a paper towel into some oil and then rub that on the grill.

I dont think i'd be happy with oily ice cubes. :p

TromboneAl said:

TMI, dude. TMI.

some of the cooking sprays have things like silicone in them to add to the non-stickiness - gross! i think that's why they now have "natural" pam etc...things they put in our food! as long as you can "pass" it out i guess they don't care...

bpp said:
TMI, dude. TMI.

I'm hoping he's a triathlete. It's a common trick. The wetsuits are really hard to get off after the swim portion (especially with tired shoulders).

It does degrade the wetsuit. There's a product out there called "BodyGlide" IIRC that does the same thing but doesn't damage the suit.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom