How to watch local news of another state/city

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is there a way to do that? I have a few places I would like to consider moving to (more like daydreaming at this point) and I would like to be able to watch their local news before I have a chance to go visit these places...

Find out the tv stations for the area and search for their websites. Most local news stations have news video clips and articles on their web sites.

Find out the tv stations for the area and search for their websites. Most local news stations have news video clips and articles on their web sites.

+1. Some even have live feeds. Just remember that you're not likely to get much good news, so you should filter your picture of the new area.

You may already know but you can subscribe on-line to newspapers. I use Feedly, which delivers a list of headlines to my computer, including Early Retirement. The Milwaukee Journal allows me to open 20 articles for free per month, without a subscription.

Thank you all for your replies! I went to a local TV station website and I could watch some news clips there.

Still, it would be so nice to be able to just flip to a channel and watch the news of a selected city on the big screen TV without having to fool around with a website.

I am thinking that in the (science fiction-y) future, maybe we will be able to do that some day. We could select a half dozen cities and have a half dozen channels devoted to their last news broadcast, only.

Let's see, Springfield, Huntsville, Fayetteville, Honolulu, San Diego, and Portland. That should about do it.... :) Maybe a dozen would be better so that I could fit in College Station and San Francisco and DC and whatever other communities interest me at that time.

We are all "citizens of the world" in recent years, and our TV providers would do well to recognize that and adapt!

You can get various local channels on Roku Local Newscasts on Your Roku | Roku Guide

When I used to travel a lot, it appeared to me that each network had a template format for their local affiliates to follow. So you end up with familiar looking sets, arrangements of stories, etc.

Also, there have been numerous studies that show local TV news in the USA focuses more on local crime than anything else, making crime look worse than it is. It might be part the above mentioned template, however.
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~digger/305/crime_cultivation_theory.pdf

Amazon.com: Crime and Local Television News: Dramatic, Breaking, and Live From the Scene (Routledge Communication Series) eBook: Jeremy H. Lipschultz, Michael L. Hilt: Kindle Store

ROKU box is by far the most comprehensive way to view news from just about every state in the country. One of the channels provides live feeds of the full broadcast without ads and another that provides highlights of the newscast. You can watch all major cities and many medium city newscasts not only in this country but around the world, some in native language and others have English versions. Oh, did I mention it is free except for the $50 box and an internet connection.....I would agree with one of the posters that "if it bleeds, it leads" applies to every one of the stations. There aren't many happy, happy, joy, joy places in the news anymore.

Just FYI, on ROKU the channel for local newscasts is called "Nowhere Man" plus tons of other stuff....PBS etc......

Wow. Thank you very much for all the posts! Very informative. I will definitely look into Roku!

Still, it would be so nice to be able to just flip to a channel and watch the news of a selected city on the big screen TV without having to fool around with a website.

I am thinking that in the (science fiction-y) future, maybe we will be able to do that some day. We could select a half dozen cities and have a half dozen channels devoted to their last news broadcast, only.

Let's see, Springfield, Huntsville, Fayetteville, Honolulu, San Diego, and Portland. That should about do it.... :) Maybe a dozen would be better so that I could fit in College Station and San Francisco and DC and whatever other communities interest me at that time.

We are all "citizens of the world" in recent years, and our TV providers would do well to recognize that and adapt!

I TOTALLY agree with you on the "citizens of the world" - the world is getting so much smaller and we should be able to get to all the news from anywhere we want!

Sheldon Cornped, I knew the name was familiar but it took Google to jog my memory. Best movie ever, the original, of course, with Alan Arkin.

Am in the tv biz.. at least for 27 more days :dance:

Regarding local news 'if it bleeds it leads' approach. Every local news study I have ever seen from any market has 'weather' as #1 and 'crime' as #2 on list of news viewers wants. I personally believe that the events of 9/11 changed us all forever and that security, well being and protecting the family shot to the top of the most important list.

Some stations 'sensationalize' everything on purpose, but they are generally the #2 or #3 station in a market and are trying to get some attention by being loud. There was a station I recall that a few years ago made it a point to focus on good, happy news. That lasted until they got the first rating book back.

A little OT, but if you want to use your phone or tablet to watch local news in your market or when you are traveling, download the free app called SyncBak. It uses your gps location and geofencing (zip codes) to stream local news from subscribing stations in most markets. It's FREE and works extremely well. If you're in Dallas you can watch the Dallas stations.. if you're in Atlanta, you can watch the Atlanta stations..etc..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom