"How to winterize your car"... in Hawaii

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I thought the rest of the board would appreciate our local tire dealer's four-page insert (in the weekly opala-wrapper) on how to get ready for those harsh Hawaii winters. I'll cut out the advertising and get to the list:

1. Replace your windshield wipers. (Annually, whether it seems to be necessary or not.)
2. Check that all tires have at least 2/32" tread and rotate the good tires to the back axle.
3. Check that all tires (spare tire included) are properly inflated.

OK, your car's winterized. Let's go surfing! On a surfboard, not on a highway...

bpp said:
Patrick said:
On my car they should be rotated to the front axle.
Going through a curve in the road during the hard winter rains, hypothetically the good tires in the back will keep the car from hydroplaning and breaking loose to spin out.

I guess the front-wheel drive connection to the transmission will keep the front tires from hydroplaning.

Nords said:
Going through a curve in the road during the hard winter rains, hypothetically the good tires in the back will keep the car from hydroplaning and breaking loose to spin out.

Ok.

I guess the front-wheel drive connection to the transmission will keep the front tires from hydroplaning.

Or maybe the weight of the engine?

Nords said:

This is a Michilen requirement. If you buy just two tires they MUST go on the rear axle. They even have a little demo movie about it. I don't buy it, they believe you will "feel" the front slipping and so not go over the cars traction. I don't believe it, good thread on the front should really help, fishtailing is not good, losing the front end is *much*worse.

Nords said:
. . .
1. Replace your windshield wipers. (Annually, whether it seems to be necessary or not.)
2. Check that all tires have at least 2/32" tread and rotate the good tires to the back axle.
3. Check that all tires (spare tire included) are properly inflated.
. . .
I live in the dessert. What do you need windshield wipers for? :)

sgeeeee said:
I live in the dessert. What do you need windshield wipers for? :)

Really? I would think a spoon would be more useful than wipers (or a car).

Its important to keep that little pussy cat warm during the winter... Oh! "How to winterize your CAR".

I thought it was "How to winterize your CAT"...nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom