How's It Going In Hawaii?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not much in the news to evaluate whether the protocol used for admission to Hawaii is working. Would love to go the Maui or the Big Island as soon as I feel it is safe enough for me, which should make it safe for others.

It is an unmitigated disaster. Do not make plans or attempt to go - there is a very high likelihood that you will end up in quarantine for the length of your entire trip ... even if you follow all of their daily-changing rules regarding testing. It's also very likely the cost will be even higher than the already high price of what you budget/expect.

DO NOT GO !!! You are taking a very high risk that you will be extremely disappointed and may be throwing away the entire price of your trip to be stuck in a hotel room with tight enforcement and the possibility of a $5000 fine and jail time if you do not comply.

https://beatofhawaii.com/nightmare-hawaii-quarantine-reported-dont-let-this-happen-to-you/

Today, if you have your negative test results in hand, and you’re not landing on Kauai, you won’t have a problem. Today.

Problem comes if you aren’t traveling today, and are planning something weeks or months ahead.

With the surge happening on the mainland, authorities will continue to protect residents and make appropriate changes as needed, which means your planned trip may have to be changed.

But now would be nice for you, as tourists are still only about 10% of “ normal”, and nothing is crowded. But them again, not a lot of restaurants are open.

I did see some of the bubbleheads biking down from Haleakala this week for the first time since March, so some tourist stuff is going again.

I was supposed to be heading to the airport tomorrow morning for our upcoming trip to Sandals South Coast in Jamaica but had to cancel. With the difficulty of securing a non-symptomatic Covid test for the required (-) result before leaving, and all the risks of airport/airline exposure, and then the uncertainty of local protocols once in the country, we decided to re-schedule for next November.

The deciding factor for me was the 14 day mandatory quarantine by Megacorp which (for me) would be unpaid, and unexcused, and possibley cost me lots of $$, and potentially my job !

I'll have to admit that I'm beginning to tune out the "chatter" about the virus on local stations. On another thread about this topic, I've had folks who don't live here tell me I was wrong about what's going on in my back yards, so I've pretty much stayed out of the discussion of late. It's true that we've had a confusing and ever-changing set of policies regarding quarantines and mask-wearing in public, etc. There's currently a big flap about officers doing too much over time in the quest to enforce local Covid policies.

I sadly agree that this would not be an ideal time to visit our Paradise. IF you follow all the rules, you are allowed to visit and travel around most of the islands. I think inter island travel may still be problematic, but don't quote me - this week!.

For ME, the big issue, after meeting the legal requirements would be that so few of the business that cater to our tourists remain open - or, in many cases, in business. Dining indoors may be permissible in certain situations, but the experience is more off-putting than it is enjoyable - at least from the perspective of one who lives here.

The good news is that the beauty of the Islands has not changed. You can still find ways to get around the Islands and marvel at the changing scenery. You can still smell the fragrance of the flowers and the salt air. But if you are more the "resort" visitor (everything available in or from one hotel or complex) you may be disappointed. I've not paid attention to what resorts are still open - if any. Most of the activities at the resorts will have been curtailed, so call before you come - and be advised that the rules may change before you get here.

One good point, at least so far is that our Covid numbers have remained relatively stable and small. (IIRC we are probably averaging around 100 or fewer new cases per day among 1.4 million residents. Also, IIRC, we have fewer than 250 total deaths due to Covid and they are exactly what you would expect - the elderly and otherwise informed folks.) Our hospitals have limited ICU beds, so a few cases suddenly stresses the system. Otherwise, things seem more rosy most of the time.

As always, folks need to make their own decisions. I would like to travel to the mainland (well - not now that it's winter:facepalm:) but I won't for all the reasons you would expect (air travel, higher numbers there, etc.) plus the fact I never know if I'll be able to return when I want to.

So, I still love it here and I'm adapting to most of the issues created by Covid. Much as I love to share our Islands with other folks, I couldn't in good conscience recommend a visit right now, but you have to make up your own mind because YMMV.

I'm content to rent a BnB or otherwise private oasis with a local or vista view and never leave. A book, jug of POG and Sailor Jerry's is all I require. Oh, sure, some home made banana bread from a street vendor or some sushi from the little market with the old Japanese guy is nice. Some Poke, a mahi mahi steak on the grill, yada, yada, yada. But I've done the tourist things; dive, surf, kayak, parasail, whale watch, etc. I know where and how to find the beach accesses on culdesacs and other 'neighborly' places if I want to wiggle toes in the sand.
But the thing that keeps me from grabbing a back pack full of supplies and heading out is the airport travel. From what I see on the TV, no one single passenger respects the space of any other. It's just as crowded and crammed as I've ever seen it. Unless or until folks learn to keep the heck away from me by 6', I'll choose not to get into the risk of confrontation and jus stay home for now.
But if there are any Maui Babes looking to catch a few runs down the ski slopes out of Tahoe, I have a studio apartment over the garage you are welcome to. It's not a private entrance, but social contact is what we need as bare minimum. Skiing pretty much sucks though. It's spring conditions; mid 50's during the day and hard freeze at night makes for hard and icy, turning to wet cement later in the day. Until we get more snow, things are not going to improve. Season pass or at least advance reservations required to ski. No more just showing up. They won't even let you park if you your name is not on the daily list of reserved.

I'm content to rent a BnB or otherwise private oasis with a local or vista view and never leave. A book, jug of POG and Sailor Jerry's is all I require. Oh, sure, some home made banana bread from a street vendor or some sushi from the little market with the old Japanese guy is nice. Some Poke, a mahi mahi steak on the grill, yada, yada, yada. But I've done the tourist things; dive, surf, kayak, parasail, whale watch, etc. I know where and how to find the beach accesses on culdesacs and other 'neighborly' places if I want to wiggle toes in the sand.
But the thing that keeps me from grabbing a back pack full of supplies and heading out is the airport travel. From what I see on the TV, no one single passenger respects the space of any other. It's just as crowded and crammed as I've ever seen it. Unless or until folks learn to keep the heck away from me by 6', I'll choose not to get into the risk of confrontation and jus stay home for now.
But if there are any Maui Babes looking to catch a few runs down the ski slopes out of Tahoe, I have a studio apartment over the garage you are welcome to. It's not a private entrance, but social contact is what we need as bare minimum. Skiing pretty much sucks though. It's spring conditions; mid 50's during the day and hard freeze at night makes for hard and icy, turning to wet cement later in the day. Until we get more snow, things are not going to improve. Season pass or at least advance reservations required to ski. No more just showing up. They won't even let you park if you your name is not on the daily list of reserved.

Heh, heh, I don't think either of us will be hired anytime soon to write tourism ads for our relative chosen states.:LOL: YMMV

Just a quick update on tourism in Hawaii. Theoretically, tourism has returned to the Islands, but, of course, it's pretty sparse. The hoops needed to jump through have prevented a lot of folks from even considering coming here. Worse, the experiences of those who actually have come has left a pretty bad taste in folks mouths about the Islands. Lots of folks have done all they could to meet "our" requirements, only to be quarantined anyway. I just saw a news article yesterday saying 57% of recent "guests" to the Islands would advise other NOT to come.

With tourism being our life blood, that doesn't bode well for the industry. My hope is that when we do get a handle on Covid, folks will be forgiving and return in sufficient numbers to reboot the tourism we have gotten used to. I know a lot of local folks who don't care for tourists but as a former tourist and a current state-tax payer, I love them. Y'all come, though YMMV.

I just flew from Kona to Oahu and back on Friday last week. You have to use the Safe Travels app, and if you're coming from the mainland, you'd better ensure that you get your COVID test from an approved entity, and that you have the results before you fly. I saw one guy with printed test results that weren't accepted because the Hawaii didn't accept the lab. Another lady had flown to Oahu, but hadn't received her results before she arrived. Mandatory quarantine. A lot is still shut down (some parks, many restaurants, many hotels), so it's not the easiest time to come visit.

Just a quick update on tourism in Hawaii. Theoretically, tourism has returned to the Islands, but, of course, it's pretty sparse. The hoops needed to jump through have prevented a lot of folks from even considering coming here. Worse, the experiences of those who actually have come has left a pretty bad taste in folks mouths about the Islands. Lots of folks have done all they could to meet "our" requirements, only to be quarantined anyway. I just saw a news article yesterday saying 57% of recent "guests" to the Islands would advise other NOT to come.

With tourism being our life blood, that doesn't bode well for the industry. My hope is that when we do get a handle on Covid, folks will be forgiving and return in sufficient numbers to reboot the tourism we have gotten used to. I know a lot of local folks who don't care for tourists but as a former tourist and a current state-tax payer, I love them. Y'all come, though YMMV.

My family of 5 went to Oahu at the end of October just shortly after they re-opened. We usually visit a Hawaiian island once or twice a year. I will say that our experience was just 'meh.' Not bad, but not great either. I'm in the camp that would advise waiting to return for a vacation and have no plans to return until 2022.

I just flew from Kona to Oahu and back on Friday last week. You have to use the Safe Travels app, and if you're coming from the mainland, you'd better ensure that you get your COVID test from an approved entity, and that you have the results before you fly. I saw one guy with printed test results that weren't accepted because the Hawaii didn't accept the lab. Another lady had flown to Oahu, but hadn't received her results before she arrived. Mandatory quarantine. A lot is still shut down (some parks, many restaurants, many hotels), so it's not the easiest time to come visit.

Yeah, I don't even have a smart phone. My inter-island travel is over for now - for lots of Covid reasons. Last trip was in Jan - just before, well, you know... YMMV

Check out the update I posted on the "Hawai'i Reopens - Sort Of" thread. Progress is being made but a way to go, though YMMV.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/hawaii-reopens-sort-of-106033.html

Heh, heh, yet more progress but plenty of issues. Fairly good Covid numbers in the state of late. We got a bump to triple digits after the holidays, but now we're more like 50 or 60/day new cases. Current "active" cases are well less than 1000 (no idea how many positives not diagnosed.) Nearly lost one of our 80+ year old friends but she is very slowly recovering. As mentioned in the other Hawaii Thread, we've moved to Tier 3 - much more open, but still with the masks and as much distancing as possible. Beaches are recovering, but touristy stuff is hit and miss as maybe half or more of the tourism oriented businesses have folded or shut down - maybe/maybe not to ever reopen. Vaccine program SEEMS to have finally hit a reasonable stride, still with fits and starts but more doses available.

Hope to see you all this fall.:flowers:

FYI, according to the CDC, as of today, about 15% of the population of Hawaii has been fully vaccinated. That's looks to be about 3 percentage points more the USA average.

Back
Top Bottom