How's your Asset Allocation holding up?

The past week cost my portfolio 4.1%, but it hasn't changed AA enough for me to do anything yet. If EM falls some more, I might add to it, probably taking from either commodity futures or TIPS, both of which are up since last purchase.

mickeyd said:
Have your FI funds done what you expected them to do ( you know, level out your ups/downs) or has your AA disappointed you once again?

Tips went up.

Megacap U.S. BRLIX didn't cushion much. But this was only a small bump in the market. In a more severe market, I'd hope megacap U.S. and/or a few other asset classes would fall significantly less than my average.

I'm not dissapointed. If my portfolio lost 40% (probably not in one week...) and everything other than FI fell about the same amount, I'd be dissapointed.

I had posted on another thread that I was down a few dollars YTD. I did my Quicken update and realized I had deleted an account from my performance calculation. Now it says I'm up 1.8% YTD. When I check my NAV for the year, it agrees so it looks like I'm still on the winning side for this year (so far :D). This return does include substantial dividends from SPY and DODFX that officiallly paid in 2007. You can question whether that is "true 2007 return" but I don't include it in the 16.8% return for 2006.

My asset allocation is 5% cash/25% foreign/15% US small/55% US large. Yes, it looks light on fixed but there are other assets that would make it about 30% fixed.

I have no idea if I'm up or down YTD. I only check once a year in January so I can view my results with a more long term perspective. Short term noise has never affected, nor interfered, with my nest-egg. That said, as I'm about 60/40, I suppose that I'm down a bit YTD like many of you seem to be.

Nearly all gains have been obliterated - gone in smoke. :'(

Let's hope for a better week.

Yen carry trades are proving to have some difficulty in unwinding. Darn globalism.

I became so negative on the market in January that I violated my own rule of a minimum equity investment of 25% and went to 0% equities, so this is having no financial impact on me yet. It is very early to be worried as we are only 5 percent from the market top. But it is evident that many are nervous.... US fundamentals are really not very good. The 1 year negative 8 percent drop in the average US house is I think contributing to the nervousness in general.

Running_Man said:
Yen carry trades are proving to have some difficulty in unwinding. Darn globalism.

They seem to be doing a pretty good job of unwinding at the moment...
But with only a quarter percent increase in interest rate, the BOJ still has
a long way to go to normalize rates with the rest of the world. And they will probably take it pretty slowly, so it may be a long, slow unwinding. Bitter medicine, but it probably needs to be taken.

Wiped out all my profits for the year .I have a 85/15 portfolio and I still manage to sleep at night .
When this settles down I'll re balance to something a little less risky .I was snorkeling in the Bahamas when this drop happened and was blissfully unaware of the markets tumble .What Luck !

Back
Top Bottom