Hubcaps

Pete

Recycles dryer sheets
I need some new wheel covers (hubcaps) for my 2005 Toyota Corolla. Very expensive from the dealer. Checking the local scrapyards. Anyone have any luck buying a good product cheap online? Amazon has a lot listed for good prices but there's not enough customer reviews to make an informed decision. Thanks in advance

People still have hubcaps:confused:

If you live in or near a decent size city there may be one or more hubcap resellers. Sometimes independent tire and/or wheel places will sell them also. What you're buying are hubcaps people bring in to sell. Lots of repeat sellers like road maintenance crew members who find tons of them while working on the streets, and drug fiends who "find" them on other peoples' cars. Cheaper than the dealership, but they pay $10 apiece and you'll pay $50 and up depending on what you're looking for and how big of a sucker they think you are.

I need some new wheel covers (hubcaps) for my 2005 Toyota Corolla. Very expensive from the dealer. Checking the local scrapyards. Anyone have any luck buying a good product cheap online? Amazon has a lot listed for good prices but there's not enough customer reviews to make an informed decision. Thanks in advance
I have to wonder "Why?" too. Our '97 Altima lost half its wheelcovers and suddenly the other highway drivers started giving us plenty of room. Seemed like just the right amount of street cred.

In my case, "Why?" became spouse's "Mother's Day is coming up." We found a box of four generic 15" wheel covers at our local auto parts store for $30. No manufacturer's logo, but IMO not worthy of stealing either. Lipstick on a pig.

The bigger eBay resellers (the ones with thousands of transactions) are generally reliable. However I don't see the need to have the décor in the first place, let alone OEM or even manufacturer's logo on a decorative part.

This reminds me of a story about a trip I took to the UK a few years ago...

I borrowed a friend's car- he was away on business, so he left it at LHR airport for me to use while I was in country. A few days into the trip, I lost a hubcap (wheel cover) on the drivers side when I hit a nasty pothole outside Oxford. Since I knew the pub where my friend hung out, I stopped by and asked a mechanic who also frequented the place to keep his eye out for a replacement.. then left the car, sans hubcap at LHR with a note telling my friend to let me know what the replacement cost.

A week or so later, the mechanic strode into the pub with a shiny new matching hubcap- and told my friend he owed him 10 pounds for it. Deal concluded, problem solved. He had a proper evening in the pub, tossed the hubcap in the trunk and drove home. It wasn't until he went out the next morning to install the missing cap that he realized the mechanic had pried it off the passenger side, polished it up a bit, and then sold him his own hubcap!

Everyone else in the pub was in on the joke...and had been just waiting for him to return so they could enjoy it...

Back
Top Bottom