Hummingbird Feeder

Brdofpray

Recycles dryer sheets
Our feeder was constantly empty. Maybe a leak?, or a lot of Hummingbirds? After setting up the game camera, we caught the culprit!

He is now on a sugar withdrawal!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 9.05.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 9.05.36 PM.png
    630.2 KB · Views: 60
Funny. I've got an oriole that tries the hummingbird feeder once in awhile when the grape jelly is gone but without success.

We had the same problem several days in a row. No birds can empty the feeder that fast. I caught a raccoon helping himself to our hummingbird feeder on our trail camera around 1AM. We took the feeder inside far about a week. He never came back. WE still see some tracks on our deck railing posts occasionally. The squirrels also like the feeder but don't bother to wait for the shroud of darkness.

Yes, we started finding ours on the ground, empty. I didn't have a camera set up, but I could picture a raccoon feeding out of that like a baby bottle, I'm sure that's what it was.

They haven't found ours yet in the 'new' place. But we get a fair number of hummers.

-ERD50

I have seen a couple around this week. I had two feeders up at the house but saw one flying around the dried out butterfly bush flowers down by the water so I put one down there and next day he was at it. Haven't had any trouble with raccoons.

Our feeder was constantly empty. Maybe a leak?, or a lot of Hummingbirds? After setting up the game camera, we caught the culprit!

He is now on a sugar withdrawal!

Ha ha. They attract bears too.

We gave up on our hummingbird feeders because woodpeckers will camp on them all day! Fortunately we have plenty of flowers to attract hummingbirds.

Ours are hanging out of reach, but the popular one in the carport they can drain out in a couple of days. Every cam setup reveals big 5 way battles at that one, and a constant stream of birds.
https://youtu.be/VtslFq0Zr3g

"Our" racoons are ridiculous and make feeding the birds a pain in the arse. They are as big as toddlers and pull the feeder poles to the ground. Thankfully, they haven't found the hummingbird feeders...yet.

Had a couple of hummingbirds regularly visiting our feeders until an oriole swooped in. No problems with raccoons thankfully.

In the fall migrating nectar bats will drain ours during the night. Once we notice that we just take it in during the evening.

_B

We don't keep feeders. I have a winter camelia for the cold months, and plenty of annuals the bloom spring, summer and fall. Plus the additional summer flowers I plant.
I try to plant to attract hummers, butterflies, and honey bees.
We now have two pairs of hummers here all year. Fun to see them feeding off the red blooms in winter, especially.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom