Hurricane Harvey

We're heading to Nacogdoches this morning, will spend the night parked at a friends house. Tomorrow we'll drive towards New Mexico. Hoping the gas situation won't be a problem but with a 350-400 mile range we'll be filling up before we get into Texas. Really miss the 1500 mile range of the big diesel.

So I guess the "panic" was short-lived here in the Rio Grande Valley. I think I read it only lasted one day.

No such luck here (San Antonio). Looking at the Gas Buddy availability map I estimate 70% of stations are reporting no gas this morning.

The SA bus system is giving free rides today and the mayor urged anyone who could to work from home. Valero says two of their three gulf coast refineries were back in full production on Monday which should help the supply situation. The only real solution is for people to stop topping off their tank when their gas gauge shows anything less than F. Reports are the demand for gas is 2.5 times normal. :nonono:

No such luck here (San Antonio). Looking at the Gas Buddy availability map I estimate 70% of stations are reporting no gas this morning.

The SA bus system is giving free rides today and the mayor urged anyone who could to work from home. Valero says two of their three gulf coast refineries were back in full production on Monday which should help the supply situation. The only real solution is for people to stop topping off their tank when their gas gauge shows anything less than F. Reports are the demand for gas is 2.5 times normal. :nonono:
Not good. Fear of shortage panic-buying becomes self-fulfilling. That has to just fade on it's own. Hopefully that will start beginning today.

I got a call Saturday night asking me to go to Orange, TX. I left Sunday morning flying into IAH, then I had to drive north to Livingston, west to Newton, then south to Orange. I had to drive through water a few times around Orange to get to the plant. I then worked until 11:30 PM, then drove north to Jasper where I spent a few hours at a HIE. I then drove back to IAH and flew home yesterday morning. PIA but it should be a nice paycheck next week! :)

How about JJ Watt and Mattress Mac . These guys are bringing in the contributions . I think JJ hit 25 million!

Really glad we have folks like that in the community.

yep - typical houstonians

Wow

Finally coming up for air a little bit - for now. It's been quite a humbling experience gathering Detailed Disaster Assessments for Red Cross. We use a pretty slick app called Survey123 for ArcGIS. We 'survey from the street', enter the damage findings in the app, including dropping map pins on each dwellings precise location and photo if needed, hit send and bam!, it's in the Red Cross database. The goal is that when a client comes seeks RC assistance, they give their address, and everything assessed is already there to speed up the process for their needs, instead of the other way around.

Going to rest up next week and hit it again on the coast, Houston, or Beaumont or depending on Irma's behavior, possibly Florida-Alabama area.

This retired/Red Cross life can take a person to interesting places...

Johanson, are you doing FEMA work? I just took the RC collect DA class last month. Same damage criteria as FEMA now...

I always wonder how it can go on for any extended period... IOW, after a couple of days everybody has a full tank and filled up their gas cans.... it is not like people are out burning extra gas so they can go get more...

Now, being stupid and filling up a garbage can might have a real small impact (probably not as most people are smarter than that), it is a one time thing...

I would say it is the delivery of gas to the stations that is the problem...

Johanson, are you doing FEMA work? I just took the RC collect DA class last month. Same damage criteria as FEMA now...

No, we had a customer (which is also part of our megacorp) that had some computers that got flooded. Those computers were workstations that are used to watch video from our camera system as well as allow them to operate our access system. Two of them are used specifically to watch the flare (the flame tower) and by state law, if they can't view the flare, they can't operate. They lose $1 million/hour when they are not operating. So, I went and got them back up and running.

Did housing in the Woodlands escape flooding?

Curious.

I bet Alan is glad he already sold his house and moved.

Last edited:
Did housing in the Woodlands escape flooding?

Curious.

I bet Alan is glad he already sold his house and moved.

Yes. The Woodlands is on the list of neighborhoods that fared the best:
Houston communities that fared the best during Hurricane Harvey - Houston Chronicle

I think the Houston-area places that The Woodlands is often compared to all flooded to varying degrees. Note what the Realtor says about home prices, too. People who were flooded and want to buy other homes must pay off their mortgages first, but cannot while their homes are being repaired AND carry a mortgage on the newly-bought home.

Last edited:
Fuel prices are finally pulling back here. It was $2.46 last week at HEB. I noticed $2.39 yesterday. Costco has dropped from $2.36 a couple of weeks ago to $2.25.

Last edited:
I haven't seen prices dropping here yet but all the stations seem to have regular gas now. Many do not have premium and very few have any diesel. So it's getting better but it's still not back to normal around here yet in the central/east Texas area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom