hybrid automobiles

Considering they are selling over 40 million I-phones a quarter I think that they use more batteries than the hybrids....

But, I did not do the math...

But again, what is the alternative (assuming you need a smart phone)?

If (and that's a big if) the hybrid isn't an overall environmental positive compared to a conventional high mpg vehicle, then the environmental choice (assuming you need a vehicle) is the conventional vehicle.

-ERD50

Saw a couple of shows from Cuba indicating how folks down there keep their 1950s cars going way longer than we keep our 90s cars.

I predict that USA car collectors will soon be flooding in to Cuba with fists full of cash to bring home these old beauties.

FWIW, Tesla claims that their cars have "No Vehicle Emissions". Closer to the truth.

I think that if one drives a lot, a hybrid will win, both in the financial sense as well as in environmental costs.

But as a retiree who drives so little, perhaps the best solution for me is to keep the clunkers that I have and drive them to the ground. Again, this makes sense both from a financial and environmental viewpoints. Cars are not exciting toys to me anyway.

If the source of energy for a bicyclist is filet mignon, then I can believe it. But if he eats cheap carb like rice or potato, it will cost peanuts (which also has lots of calories).

The issue wasn't direct cost, it was environmental impact, probably some measure of the CO2 released in growing the crop, water, fertilizer, etc.

That too. Raising a cow takes a lot of water and releases much methane. Going lower in the food chain would beat burning gasoline in the car in terms of spent resources.

But this is just for the sake of argument. I am not going to pedal a bike out in this 110F heat and risk a heatstroke. And we would all conserve natural resources better by raising our thermostat a degree or two in the summer, and lowering it in the winter. Or live in a smaller house.

Here's a fellow who claims some of his Prius taxi vehicles get well over 200,000 miles before the batteries need swapping out.

Two of the older examples have managed a lifespan of 350,000km (218,000mi) and 550,000km (341,000mi) before needing replacement of their nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries.

Toyota Prius taxi tops 340,000mi, dispels battery myth

Here's a fellow who claims some of his Prius taxi vehicles get well over 200,000 miles before the batteries need swapping out.

Toyota Prius taxi tops 340,000mi, dispels battery myth
Not surprised. There are a series of YouTube videos on tear downs of Escape hybrid taxis with similar mileage and similar findings. These batteries are pampered in operation both in terms of depth of discharge and temperature stabilization.

Saw an article the other day that said you can purchase a Nissan Leaf, 2012 for $8,500! I would guess depending on battery replacement, that might make it economical.

Saw an article the other day that said you can purchase a Nissan Leaf, 2012 for $8,500! I would guess depending on battery replacement, that might make it economical.

I'd do some research on the used Leafs (leaves?). I was considering purchasing one as they come off lease here in Georgia (and there are a ton of them thanks to a recently expired tax credit from the state) but after reading up on some forums, I decided against it.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I was thinking about a 2015 Prius Plug-in for the HOV sticker but the regular Prius has a significant discount and higher rebate. The price difference, about $4k is too much for the once a week benefit for the next 3 years in my mind. I'll hold off for now.

Back
Top Bottom