Johnson & Johnson new logo because people can't read

I don't think there's any advantage specific to cursive. But to be able to write by hand, to take notes that way, absolutely is a better way to learn and retain info vs. typing it, or recording it.

If one has neat enough block or basic joined-up linked handwriting that works just as well. To me cursive is harder to read, much like italics or fancy fonts are as well.

You know how they put the fine print often in fancy italics because they don't want you to read it!

You may be right that physically writing something down increases ability to recall vs typing. This is almost certainly true for folks like you and me. However, kids these days are used to typing everything so it may be different for them. I just think of reading books or articles on screen vs in printed form. Personally, I much prefer reading the printed version, but it is abundantly obvious to me that my kids do much better reading off the screen rather than picking up a book.

Since it was brought up.... I have tried to get it in my kids heads NOT to use debit cards... there a no legal protections... you are at the mercy of the bank if something bad happens...

The younger one does not use one but has a cash app... which I tell her is even worse than a debit card... she tells me that she only sends money to friends when paying for something.... not sure if it is true but she is an adult now and will have to live with any mistake she makes..

Son is older and has been out of college for a few years... I think he does use a debit card... same for him... he is an adult..

It never is a problem until it is...

OHHH, BTW, I told both not to let anybody take money from your checking account... DD learned that this was a wise idea this last year... her apt wanted to suck money out... but then starting to bill her 10X to 20X for water usage... it took me many months to get it fixed (never did really, they just agreed to a lower amount)... but told her if they had sucked the money out she would not have won that argument as they would have the money and no incentive to give it back...

Depends on how many times they had OSHA violations cleaning the meat slicer...

Many of them are not cleaning it as often (or as thoroughly) as they should.

The slicer sits there at room temperature and bacteria love to multiply in the meat scraps. These bacteria then contaminate the meat sliced later on. As that meat sits in your home refrigerator the bacteria (Listeria monocytogenes) can continue to multiply.

Deli employees report meat slicers not cleaned often enough

I have seen these dirty slicers in supermarket delis, restaurants, and yes, even nursing home and hospital kitchens.

Last edited:
Many of them are not cleaning it as often (or as thoroughly) as they should.

The slicer sits there at room temperature and bacteria love to multiply in the meat scraps. These bacteria then contaminate the meat sliced later on. As that meat sits in your home refrigerator the bacteria (Listeria monocytogenes) can continue to multiply.

Deli employees report meat slicers not cleaned often enough

I have seen these dirty slicers in supermarket delis, restaurants, and yes, even nursing home and hospital kitchens.

I think you missed the joke - or I inserted one.

Counting to four? On your fingers? Meat Slicer?

-ERD50

Germans don't do fractur typeset either.

Doesn't stop Jagermeister from using it, even embracing it.

Yesterday's :LOL:? I stopped getting sliced deli meat at my local Safeway because they can't comprehend what I want when I ask for 1/3 or 1/4 pound of sliced roast beef. I've resorted to asking for .33 of a pound, but no go. They look at me like a deer in headlights when I tell them no, I didn't want a pound, but a third of a pound. Made an exception the other day and she had to ask a co-worker what I wanted :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:.

Me too! I ask for .33, and unless I'm watching the worker often slices and slices and slices.....until it's 1/2 pound. Sort of related, and I don't know if this is true: a number of years ago Burger King, or maybe it was Wendy's, stopped offering 1/3 pound burger because people thought they were getting less than a 1/4 lb burger.

Wow this thread is meandering! A couple of observations...

First, I've never had a problem asking for a quarter or third of a pound of deli meat. We're both watching the scale, and they always get it about where I ask. The only time I had a problem was in Canada, and that's only because I couldn't do the metric conversion in my head fast enough. That was years ago, I think I'd do better now.

Second, a friend just had their debit card number used fraudulently. She still has the card, but someone someone used it all over town, racking up a couple of hundred dollars' worth of charges. The bank tells her they might eventually consider giving it back. Another friend had a similar situation a few years ago.

I rarely use a debit card. A credit card gives much better protection for the card holder, and often offers cash back or "points." For the same reasons, I don't sign up for gas station discount cards, which act the same way as a debit card. I haven't had a problem with auto-pay of recurring bills from my checking account, although I prefer setting those up through a credit card where possible, too.

You may be right that physically writing something down increases ability to recall vs typing. This is almost certainly true for folks like you and me. However, kids these days are used to typing everything so it may be different for them. I just think of reading books or articles on screen vs in printed form. Personally, I much prefer reading the printed version, but it is abundantly obvious to me that my kids do much better reading off the screen rather than picking up a book.

My niece is a college senior. She doesn't type notes but writes them on her ipad with a stylus - her professors have encouraged writing in some form for recall, and she definitely says it works better for her.

Of course, her gadgets let her both record and write at the same time, and fill in the blanks during the playback on the page. It's pretty neat to see.

Of course, her gadgets let her both record and write at the same time, and fill in the blanks during the playback on the page. It's pretty neat to see.

Now that’s cool! I hadn’t thought of that.

Taking notes to me was important because it helped me pay attention as opposed to daydreaming, ha ha.

My niece is a college senior. She doesn't type notes but writes them on her ipad with a stylus - her professors have encouraged writing in some form for recall, and she definitely says it works better for her.

Yea, but that cost a pretty penny compared to pen and paper... DD just bought an IPad air and stylus so I know...

Taking notes to me was important because it helped me pay attention as opposed to daydreaming, ha ha.

I noticed that in college as well. Even if I never reread the notes (which sometimes did happen) just the fact that I'd concentrated enough to write them was enough to remember what I needed to come exam time.

I noticed that in college as well. Even if I never reread the notes (which sometimes did happen) just the fact that I'd concentrated enough to write them was enough to remember what I needed to come exam time.

Very much my experience. Just taking the notes kept me alert and helped me remember what I wrote down. I DID refer to notes quite often, but not always. YMMV

Yea, but that cost a pretty penny compared to pen and paper... DD just bought an IPad air and stylus so I know...

Not only can you write with a stylus, record on a chip, you can also take a picture of a whatever notes are being placed on some sort of "board" in class.

Yes, it's all kinda expensive, but such devices are multi purpose - and probably needed by virtually all college/university students today. We had our slide rules (and I recall the occasional tape recorder - you know, owned by the "rich kid" in class) as well as our pads of paper and pencils/pens. Things change. A university education is VERY expensive these days. A couple extra thousand for an ipad would seem a modest investment to help utilize a hundred thousand dollar 4-year tuition/books (minimum.)

This forum doesn't seem to have this font but you could start using Signpainter or Snell Roundhand fonts. That'll throw them young'uns for a loop.

Not only can you write with a stylus, record on a chip, you can also take a picture of a whatever notes are being placed on some sort of "board" in class.

Yes, it's all kinda expensive, but such devices are multi purpose - and probably needed by virtually all college/university students today. We had our slide rules (and I recall the occasional tape recorder - you know, owned by the "rich kid" in class) as well as our pads of paper and pencils/pens. Things change. A university education is VERY expensive these days. A couple extra thousand for an ipad would seem a modest investment to help utilize a hundred thousand dollar 4-year tuition/books (minimum.)

Agreed!

I notice it very strongly today.

I do feel my short term memory is slipping, but writing something down makes it stick in my memory so much better. I think that's based on some well known principles - you don't just think about it, but you go through the physical action of writing it, and you see it. That's two more ways to get it in your memory.

Several times, I've made a shopping list, but ended up leaving at home, or in the car. But I can usually recall everything on that list, because I wrote it down. And I can usually visualize that list.

I try to remember to take a picture of it, that way I've got it on my phone as well.

-ERD50

Serifs and cursive are out. Everyone is jettisoning them. Too bad. Ever see 1700s or 1800s graffiti? People carved serifs into stone. That's dedication!

Harris Teeter just bagged their serifs and style too. Everyone is going plain.

Attachments

• ht.JPG
    ht.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 15
I don't think I've written anything cursive in the past 50 years. Everything hand printed back to my civil draftsman days out of high school. Usually as notes in my 3"x5" field notes journal.

As to what they're teaching in school - I enjoy talking with my niece's daughter who is learning math. I asked her what 8 divided by 3 was. She drew 8 sticks in a row. Circled the first 3. Then circled the second 3. She had 2 groups of 3 sticks circled with 2 sticks left over. So the answer is 2 and 2/3. That's math in 2023.

I don't think I've written anything cursive in the past 50 years. Everything hand printed back to my civil draftsman days out of high school. Usually as notes in my 3"x5" field notes journal.

As to what they're teaching in school - I enjoy talking with my niece's daughter who is learning math. I asked her what 8 divided by 3 was. She drew 8 sticks in a row. Circled the first 3. Then circled the second 3. She had 2 groups of 3 sticks circled with 2 sticks left over. So the answer is 2 and 2/3. That's math in 2023.

Reminds me of using my fingers to learn addition.

At the risk of embarrassing myself: what's wrong with that? What is the point you are trying to make?

At the risk of embarrassing myself: what's wrong with that? What is the point you are trying to make?

I don't think the suggestion was that it was "wrong" so much as that it was "different" than the way most of us learned it. If it is effective, I don't care how it's done. YMMV

Me too. And what age?

It's a very visual way to look at division. I think this could be a good thing for many, if not all people. At least at the start, to get a handle on it, so it isn't abstract. It's exactly what we do when we divide, though our brains mostly take a shortcut once we understand that.

More thread drift.... I think it is a mistake to not start counting at zero. I think the concept of "ten" is a little lost by counting from 1 to 10. "10" is not a number in the way 0-9 are. "10" is a carry, but it's treated as it's own distinct "thing".

-ERD50

Just stumbled across this thread today as it randomly popped up in the "Portal" when I was looking at E-R for the first time in several days. I haven't read every post so I apologize if I'm rehashing old news. Here's an excerpt from the J&J press release information regarding the new logo. What amazes me is the verbiage describing the new logo/font. How does an ampersand capture caring and bring purpose to life? Reminds me a joking comment a co-worker made years ago when it seemed like every corporate meeting involved some number of employees receiving an award for this or that. The co-worker commented that he was going to create an award for "Outstanding Performance in the Field of Excellence!"

Attachments

• JNJ_Logo.JPG
    JNJ_Logo.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 28
J What amazes me is the verbiage describing the new logo/font. How does an ampersand capture caring and bring purpose to life?

Usually, that is accomplished by the fee going to the consulting company who got paid for this. The owner(s) and employees of said company get taken care of as they execute their purpose in life. /sarc

Back when I was at MicroCorp, we had a really nice logo designed, for free, by one of the employees. It was unique, told a story, and was loved.

The VCs decided to spend for a consultant. $100k in 1995 dollars. The consultant created a mess of confusion logo that was simply terrible. Hey, VC's money. Can't argue with the smarty-pants.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom