Johnson & Johnson new logo because people can't read

How often do you write your signature these days?
The vast majority of the time it's signing for a credit card purchase using an electronic terminal where what comes out looks nothing at all like my actual signature. I always wonder what real purpose that serves.

Pepsi Cola has joined the chat.

Pepsi-Logo.png

The vast majority of the time it's signing for a credit card purchase using an electronic terminal where what comes out looks nothing at all like my actual signature. I always wonder what real purpose that serves.

I also sign my name on paper credit card receipts so that counts. Most restaurants still use them.

One thing I learned from nearly 40 years of dealing professionally with the public is that 60% of the populace is not too bright. The signposts change over time but the conclusion remains the same.

As an amateur genealogist I fear for the day when the ability to read historical records is lost except to those who major in history. Sure, I required some education in reading old script but even when I started it was at least 90% readable.

How do young people that don't know cursive do their signature? I realize many signatures take allowance from strict cursive writing, and are not really legible, but they are based on cursive.

I'm in Hawaii. You would not believe the nonsensical squiggles that pass for "signatures" here. At least with Pres. Obama, you can clearly make out the letter "O," at least. I used to think it was so weird because he is a "Lefty." But... Nope.

Schools here are dreadfully bad--- at least the PUBLIC schools. I listen to many people on the bus, or going from here to there. They actually graduated from high school, and THAT is the best English they can produce? Folks here say there is a local "pidgin" English dialect. That's not a dialect. That's just very bad English.

Last edited:
Speaking of Obama; I thought the previous Pepsi logo was very much inspired by the Obama campaign logo. With Pepsi's recent change, they've gone back 50 years, with a slight tweak.

Logos are fascinating. It is a heard mentality. About 20 years ago, someone set a trend of this "at an angle, looking up" style. Burger King did it. Pepsi did it. And a few others. Lower case, sans serif was also in style. Pepsi did it along with their angle swoosh globe. Arby's even did the lower case thing for about 1 year. I guess it didn't test well.

The current herd mentality is all about BOLD UPPER CASE, with a little retro. That's Pepsi. Burger King just went retro, retaining their bold font. OP's original subject is about J&J. They didn't go all upper case, but it is bold.

Speaking of OP's thesis; I thought Pepsi was script in the old days. It wasn't! It just had a stylized P and C. (BTW: Arabic stylized writing is a work of art.)

Now the question is what will INSTAGRAM do? The kids use it heavily and seem to have no problem identifying it. I hope Coors drinkers are educated...

Attachments

• logos.JPG
    logos.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 212
I'm in Hawaii. You would not believe the nonsensical squiggles that pass for "signatures" here. At least with Pres. Obama, you can clearly make out the letter "O," at least. I used to think it was so weird because he is a "Lefty." But... Nope.

Schools here are dreadfully bad--- at least the PUBLIC schools. I listen to many people on the bus, or going from here to there. They actually graduated from high school, and THAT is the best English they can produce? Folks here say there is a local "pidgin" English dialect. That's not a dialect. That's just very bad English.

Yeah, and it's not because there isn't enough money for the schools. Teachers allow the use of pidgin during class. I think that's inexcusable, but it's become "acceptable."

Using private schools is incredibly expensive. The school I support is something like $15K/year per student - and I understand that it is considered "inexpensive." How does a family of 3 ever afford K-12 with that kind of load - especially when everything else is also expensive? I actually know the answer to this question. They live 3 generations in one household and every adult w*rks at least one if not two or even 3 j*bs. Often time, a family has to decide which of their children will go to private school as the other two must settle for public K-12 schools.

Kellogg's has joined the chat.

Created a new brand for snacks.

Attachments

• kellogs.JPG
    kellogs.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
My idea why cursive was important in its day was the ability to write words in a faster fashion than just printing. With printing you have to raise the pen off the paper for each letter. With cursive the pen continues on.

I do think cursive has its place for signatures and such. I do a bit of historical work reading and comprehending old documents. 1700s and 1800s stuff. Even old land grants and surveys. I guess the newer generation will never understand what our forefathers wrote down when seeing them. The Constitution, Bill of Rights, etc? Might as well be Greek.

Yes...Morse code is about buried, and the sextant has been replaced by GPS.

Yes...Morse code is about buried, and the sextant has been replaced by GPS.

I was required to learn both at USNA and became fairly proficient at them. Haven't done either since, but I'm still glad I learned.

I probably mentioned that I'm 75 (a.k.a., "older than Methuselah!"). :wiseone:
When I went to school, we were only taught cursive at my (private) school, and that was all we were permitted to write, there, from the very start of first grade onwards.

My friend down the block went to public school, and she was taught to print instead of being taught cursive. She was only allowed to print at school.

I was so envious! For some reason I thought printed letters were much prettier. So, later on when I "invented" my signature, it included plenty of printed letters sprinkled among the cursive letters. I thought it was so elegant. :LOL:

Now that I am old, it's harder to write stuff and especially hard to write cursive. I still write checks a few times a year, but they are barely legible. Keyboards are the best for most purposes, IMO, when it's possible to use them.

Old communication methods aren't bad, they just lose their popularity.

Just about everything we've ever learned about early civilization in the Middle East came from deciphering cuneiform tablets, so they are still useful today despite none having been created in millennia. Same story for Egyptian hieroglyphics.

I was proud of myself for getting to the 20 wpm level of Morse code to pass my Amateur Extra license exam. Haven't used CW in over 20 years, but I still have great respect for those who do -- it can get a message through when other radio modes can't.

In my state we vote by mail and the outside envelope needs to be signed by the voter. The signature on the envelope is checked against the signature on file when registering and if they don't match the ballot is not accepted. I'm not sure how that requirement could/would be changed.

Old communication methods aren't bad, they just lose their popularity.

Just about everything we've ever learned about early civilization in the Middle East came from deciphering cuneiform tablets, so they are still useful today despite none having been created in millennia. Same story for Egyptian hieroglyphics.

I was proud of myself for getting to the 20 wpm level of Morse code to pass my Amateur Extra license exam. Haven't used CW in over 20 years, but I still have great respect for those who do -- it can get a message through when other radio modes can't.

Frank is a ham and like you, he has an Extra license. He still listens to CW on the radio for a while now and then, and sometimes transmits CW as well. I encourage that! You never know when a skill like that might be important.

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

-Plato, 4th century B.C.

They went to Pattaya

When I went to school, we were only taught cursive at my (private) school, and that was all we were permitted to write, there, from the very start of first grade onwards.

Our fourth-grade teacher required us to write with a nib-type pen (a cartridge pen, remember those?). It was a nightmare for a lefty because my writing hand often brushed over that fresh ink and smeared it.

I suspect the requirement was written somewhere in district curricular policy, but I can't swear by that. It just seems like something a bureaucrat would insist on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom