I Could Use a New Calculator

There's probably a Linux alternative to DeskCalc for Windows, which can print the tape. I found that feature useful when I did taxes.

As for precision, that doesn't concern me, so I don't take it into account.

Here's the one I use on Linux.

https://qalculate.github.io/screenshots.html

I click the 'history' tab, that sets it to show a 'tape', and it 'sticks'. Very flexible, many modes and options.

-ERD50

I received for my 18th birthday back in 1981 a Sharp EL-506S Scientific/Statistical calculator. I used it a lot in the 1980s, both for college (I took some stat classes) and for personal use, and it still runs on its original battery, probably one of those pill-shaped ones. I have used it very little since 1990, opting for simpler $5 calculators which have larger buttons and displays as my eyesight has not been as sharp (no pun intended) as it was in my 20s.

The Sharp calculator has 10 digits, while my newer, simpler one has only 8. My previous cell phone (flip-phone) had a calculator, but my current one does not, something I miss.

This is the vintage Sharp calculator I have.

Virtual Museum of Calculators

I have a Sharp calculator similar to the one you have but a different model. The batteries are depleted and I don't use anymore but still keep. The one I have does numeric base conversions (decimal to hex for example) which came in handy a time or two. A sweet calculator.

I had another Sharp calculator which I gave away (wish I didn't). Wasn't as advanced as my other but used a regular battery.

The calculator app I ended up deciding on is called calctape.

There are versions for many platforms. No Linux but even a web version.

https://www.schoettler-software.com/en/

Can handle plenty large big numbers!

I use an HP32SII. It is far smarter than I am, but it is RPN, which is a requirement for me. It will display 11 digits plus it provides commas in between digit position -- so no cost for them. HP also gives away a free HP35 emulator for Windows. 13 digits. Also RPN. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_35s)

The HP32 sits physically on my desk and the HP35 is on my taskbar. I find myself using the HP32 much more often.

Just now I could not find the HP35 emulator but did find several other HP emulators.
Love my HP32SII. Think I bought it new for around $45. They stopped making them a long time ago. Collector item now. Can bring a pretty premium on Ebay. Usually twice to 3 times what I paid for it new.

had an SR52 back in undergrad days (70's)... tape programmable and no RPN and adequate digits
(unfortunately was stolen back in the day... and it wasn't cheap then), but it did use its own battery pack not AA or AAA.

Back in the eighties I bought an hp12c. I still use it to this day. It is a great product. I don’t know if it is still made, but it is a superior product. I have only had to change the battery a couple of times.

Back in the eighties I bought an hp12c. I still use it to this day. It is a great product. I don’t know if it is still made, but it is a superior product. I have only had to change the battery a couple of times.
My first HP12C was a gift from the first CFO I worked for. He had to replace his because battery died and he used it daily. When battery replaced in the original one, he gave it to me.

Years later I thought it had fallen out of my bag on a trip. My company ordered a new one. Later found the original.

So then I had one for work and one for home.

So now I have two for home. Great tools.

Also have the spiral book someone wrote back in the day which is easier to use than the documentation that came with the phone.

HP12 or HP15 for me also as my usual. Being an engineer, and understanding the benefits of RPN used in HP calculators, it's my preference. I can use a std calculator, such as on my phone. But prefer the HP.

I even have an old HP33(?) from way back in college days that has LED display. I used to keep it at work, since nobody would take it. Plus a couple other old HPs lying around.

Fond memories of the HP12C. Was required learning in early 90's corp finance training.

My ancient (1992?) TI-85 is still working, but I expect I’ll be looking for a calculator sooner, rather than later.

Hi easysurfer,

Made me look! There are 10 digit, wireless bluetooth standalone calculators with displays, with backlit mechanical keys even! Now I’m contemplating the AZIO IZO BT5 numpad/calculator with Gateron Red switches, which can also connect and charge via USB-C so I could use standalone or with a spreadsheet. It would replace my current wireless BT numpad that has no display, no mechanical keys, and connects/charges via USB-B micro.

Guess what my next Amazon purchase will be…

My oldest working calculator is an HP16C that I bought new. Still have the case and manual! Haven’t used it in forever, too hard to read the display. I bought DH an HP12C at the same time and it still works too. DH now uses another RPN standalone calculator with bigger numbers. In undergrad, I used an HP-41CV that I won in a raffle. It died after the battery leaked about 10 years ago. I told one of my former students, who gave me her old HS TI-30Xa, it’s still going strong, plus free!

If you like the thrill of the hunt, consider checking out a thrift store to see if there is an old calculator that you like and still works.

I worked forever with a full size desktop calculator with a paper tape. I was super fast too. Would always double check spreadsheets that were submitted to me before sending to clients. How many times cells were omitted from the formula!.

I worked forever with a full size desktop calculator with a paper tape. I was super fast too. Would always double check spreadsheets that were submitted to me before sending to clients. How many times cells were omitted from the formula!.
Yes. "I used a spreadsheet" does not mean it is correct.

I used one of these as an undergrad to do statistical calculations. We only had one in the lab and boy, did it ever get a lot of use!

One fender head in our lab ran the moving bar into the wall and locked the mechanics up. Almost didn't get it repaired on contract as they said that was "abuse." I said, no, it's simple stupidity.

Heh, heh, I used to love to input a calculation like one divided by 0.00000000000065. That puppy would grind and grind and grind until I got tired of hearing the noise.

BUT the calculator that came with my computer has at least 45 digits available.

On your smart phone calc app...if you turn the phone sideways you will get even more mathematics to work with. Try it.

On the calculators...that ain't nuthin. When I started out we used the handy slide rule.

On the calculators...that ain't nuthin. When I started out we used the handy slide rule.

Summer 1974 I bought a TI SR-50 anticipating taking Advanced Math, Chemistry, and Physics my HS senior year.

Then, Mr. Philips, Chemistry and Physics teacher, made us use a slide rule the first half the year :facepalm: , and calculators the second half :D .

I was already the master of my 12" bamboo Lafayette slide rule, so no big deal. I just couldn't use my new toy!

I still have my SR-50 and all it's accessories, even the box. Unfortunately, it no longer works.

Summer 1974 I bought a TI SR-50 anticipating taking Advanced Math, Chemistry, and Physics my HS senior year.

Then, Mr. Philips, Chemistry and Physics teacher, made us use a slide rule the first half the year :facepalm: , and calculators the second half :D .

I was already the master of my 12" bamboo Lafayette slide rule, so no big deal. I just couldn't use my new toy!

I still have my SR-50 and all it's accessories, even the box. Unfortunately, it no longer works.

I remember of those TI SR calculators. I don't have them any more as an issue with them was over time the buttons would get stiff and then unresponsive.

The one I had was a TI 57 which was programmable. I wrote a program on it to convert numbers from decimal to hex and back. Came in handy.

My slide rule was a K&E and I used it all though HS (starting '63) and university (through '69.) My first real hand held calculator was from Sears. IIRC it would add, subtract, multiply and divide. I don't think it even did square roots. I think it cost $50 which was some serious money back then.

IIRC the final slide rule came off the line in 1972. Those old ones are selling on eBay for a small fortune now. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom