I didn't DO it! :)

We bought total stock market for our 12-year-old son yesterday, with his own savings in a custodial account. So it's our fault.

I have always said I am a market timer. I don't bother to hide under the rebalance label. I aim to buy low/sell high, and am proud of it. Though my record is far from perfect, I have made some money.

PS. The late Templeton once said that his goal was to "help people". When they panicked and sold, he bought. In the dot-com mania of 2000, when they clamored to buy, he was so willing to help them that he sold to them what he did not even have - he sold short. He made $80M for himself in a matter of a few months while doing this "charity" work, meaning providing liquidity.

The question I have for myself now is if sellers are desperate yet for me to "help". I have only a fraction of what Templeton had, but I can do my best with the few hundred K's in cash I am holding.

Last edited:
I have always said I am a market timer. I don't bother to hide under the rebalance label. I aim to buy low/sell high, and am proud of it. Though my record is far from perfect, I have made some money.

I'm with ya NW.
I've done quite well with market timing, mostly long durations like months or years between transactions. I also am not a big fan of diversification strategy. I guess I just like being different from the masses.

The higher volatility and lower prices finally got me interest in writing some slightly out of them money puts. Most of my order were executed today.

Still even after the pull back of this week, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the market was 10% lower.

Saw an article the other day about record levels of leverage, imagine these guys will be getting margin calls next week, maybe more pressure on the down side? Not really fundamentals driven.

I have been a buyer on both down days this week. I'll continue to buy if the selling keeps up. Looks like a sale to me. In my world, the economy is doing fine.

With hardly any correction yet I'm not at all close to rebalancing. Unless things fall apart it looks like there's a lot of cash out there. We may not see the 10% correction as people jump back in. Of course they may not for the same reasons they didn't earlier. Then we may go all the way to a bear market. What do I know? Nothing. That's why I'm a plodder who sticks to a moderately conservative plan.

Portfolio is down .45 percent, pretty mild. Of course it will bounce only mildly back up when Mr. Market rallies.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of money but will spread out my buys starting Monday. I made out very well in the market last year and want to add to some of my positions.

I'm with ya NW.
I've done quite well with market timing, mostly long durations like months or years between transactions. I also am not a big fan of diversification strategy. I guess I just like being different from the masses.

I actually believe in diversification. Not being 100% in stocks is how I have some money to buy low when the chance shows itself. In the long run, I am not sure if someone who's 100% in stocks would not do better. I never believe that there's only one way to make money; a lot depends on the execution.

And yes, I try not to trade too much. My regret during the Great Recession was that I bought quite a bit right at the bottom in April 2009, but sold too soon instead of riding the stocks a lot higher. Search for "buy, buy, buy" to see my past posts. Heh heh heh...

I do not think it's time to buy yet. Perhaps I will miss out, but I like to see 10% drop and a lot more anguish, my own included. Am I a masochist or what? Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
My/wife's cash buckets (used for day to day expenses) remained the same :LOL: ...

Being retired and no longer actively purchasing funds, the daily flux means little to us (unless it's time to "harvest" more gains to add to cash).

For those in the accumulation phase? It's a good opportunity, for the moment...

"As January goes, so goes the year" - hmmmmmm.....

For the last 14 years from 2000 to 2013, there were 6 years where the market was down for January yet up for the year and vice versa. So, it's not quite 50/50, but close.

These 6 years were: 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, and 2010. Most notable was 2003 where the S&P was down -2.74% for January but up 26.38% for the year. Next was 2009 when January was down -8.57% but up 23.45% for the year.

Well, the above 2 years were when the market was pulling out of a crash. The condition is not the same this time, coming off a gangbuster year of 2013.

I need to rebalance but was doing it by directing new 401k contributions into Equities. I sped things up a little by adding additional equity purchases. If Monday is another down day I will buy again.

Personally I'm welcoming all dips and looking at them as buying opportunities. Transferred my companies 401K at the end of last year and also sitting on a big chuck of cash in a taxable investment account. My AA at the beginning of 2014 was 15/10/75 and need to get to 65/20/15 for my ER plan. Bought back in for first time on Friday and AA now at 25/13/62. Not going to go "all in" on any "one" dip, but will DCA for the next 12 to18 months to get to my desired AA. I think most people would not be surprise if we had a 10-15% correction given the fast rise of the markets. I think anything above a 15% correction could cause a "panic" sell off which would translate into a great buying opportunity for those still sitting on cash.... or it could be a sign of the end of the world :)....

Oh yea but but - having lived both in Seattle and Denver in the past I hesitate to pick - cause my heart was really with the Saint's.

People have their stock indicators and I have mine. ;);) Stay the course on full auto and let those VG computers rebalance away in my Target Retirement.

AS for my 'mad money' :dance: :D - stay the course as least thru the Superbowl and then and then when I get bored shift a few deck chairs on the Titanic.

heh heh heh - my new wife's financial advisor(yes she came with one) is jumping up and down - sell the bonds/buy stock. My urge to 'up yours' is tempered by a desire to maintain the ongoing romantic bliss. :nonono: :flowers

So far this isn't much of a correction and I am not biting. I just used our January savings to buy more i-bonds. We are expecting a pretty large cash inflow for February, so if this is indeed a sustained market correction, we should be able to take advantage of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom