I must dress up at Halloween for work

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
So I work at a fairly large company - fairly corporate. Having said that, because much of our staff is right out of school they dress up for Halloween. My manager told me that dressing up is "required" and that it would look bad for anyone who does not dress up. I find this ridiculous. Not only is dressing up for Halloween past the age of 12 a bad idea, I have to take time out of my personal life to go find a Halloween costume to wear...never mind the $ this will cost me. Anyone else "required" to dress up at Halloween?

Not here--thankfully. But I also dont indulge in the "beach shirt" every Friday either.

I agree, bad idea.

Don't buy a costume, make your own. Think janitor, American tourist, crabby old man . . .

You should look for another company. This shows that they aren't focused on the right issues.

My manager told me that dressing up is "required" and that it would look bad for anyone who does not dress up.

You can't be serious. Can you?? If absolutely necessary, go as AccountingSucks. (I'll leave it to your imagination!)

Our company sometimes has 'theme' days, but there is no requirement even though probably 80% of folks follow suit.

Tell them you are dressed up as a corporate gnome.

The secretaries at my work try to force everyone to dress up and go to an office "Hallowe'en Party". Some of us (very few) refuse and there have been no real consequences. I was told by higher ups that it would "look bad" too, if I didn't dress up, but it really doesn't seem to matter.

I also have stopped spending money on office Thanksgiving and Christmas parties. I just smile and tell them that I am broke and on a diet.

After about five years of being very firm, nobody pushes me any more (and surprisingly, a number of others have joined me in not participating).

I have not dressed up for Hallowe'en since I was twelve and too old for trick or treating. I am not going to start again over 45 years later. It's childish and does not appeal to me.

If you think your boss is serious, you could make a witch's hat out of cardboard and wear it with regular clothes. If you are male, just tell them that you're a warlock. Be sure to use cardboard from your work-supplied office supplies.

I saw employees of my local bank dressed this way last year. Looked pretty silly. I would just wear jeans/shorts and a T-shirt. Say you are dressed as an early retiree.

So I work at a fairly large company - fairly corporate. Having said that, because much of our staff is right out of school they dress up for Halloween. My manager told me that dressing up is "required" and that it would look bad for anyone who does not dress up. I find this ridiculous. Not only is dressing up for Halloween past the age of 12 a bad idea, I have to take time out of my personal life to go find a Halloween costume to wear...never mind the $ this will cost me. Anyone else "required" to dress up at Halloween?

Lemme guess...........California?

That is strange.....your Megacorp is making you dress up for halloween?
I don't think that is a good idea...but if you don't, then you are not a good team player...yada yada.
I would not spend money on the costume....go as an early retiree...chinos, nice shirt, and a golf club!

I can't decide if I should laugh or cry. I am quite speechless actually. Let's see:

jeans and shirts with holes - hobo/homeless (you also need to forget to shave and slap your face with some alcohol)

wear your pajamas - say you thought it was a pajama party

wear your neatest shirt and tie and say you are pretending to be an accountant (my DD just gave me this one!)

Paint yourself red, and put a potato in your pants...

Viola, communist dictator! >:D

Btw, the tater goes in the front...

I recall a Dilbert where they were told to come in on Friday dressed as animals- their Japanese office had said it boosted moral. Next you see them wandering around in animal suits. The last picture shows 2 japanese business men in a cafe. "So, they really fell for it ??", "Sure, it was even easier than those calisthetcs we had them doing every morning a few years ago".

Personally, I cringe at the thought of things like this - I certainly wouldn't do it

The young wife is a school teacher. She spends hours every year thinking about and then creating her costume, which she wears to school and then at home to give out candy. The neighbors on our street come over with cameras to see her constume and take pictures. In years past, she has been a dissected frog (she is a science teacher); Albert Einstein (complete with old man clothes and theatrical makeup); a giant Number 2 pencil; Santa Claus; a wizard; the Cat in the Hat; the Grinch; Snoopy and many more that I can't currently remember.

I usually dress up as a lawyer, which many find scary enough.

Paper bag. Cut out holes for eyes, nose, and mouth. Decorate with crayons. Glue on purple yarn hair. Instant purple people eater (or? whatever). It worked for thousands of kids in the 50s, and for my own in the 80s too!

But ,seriously, you have my sympathy!

Put tape on your glasses ,pull your pants up , plastic pen protector and you can go as a nerd !

So I work at a fairly large company - fairly corporate.

So you made a bad decision to originally seek out this employer and to go to work for them. And worse, you choose to stay on.

But, all is not lost. Think about this situation in terms of the priority it actually deserves rather than making it a big deal. As suggested, put a bag over your head, yuk it up on halloween and then just forget about it. It isn't as though you've just been told you have cancer, your significant other has just been killed in an automobile accident, etc.

Remember, you spend your days there because it's your own personal decision to do so....... ;)

Put tape on your glasses ,pull your pants up , plastic pen protector and you can go as a nerd !

In 1984, in Bremerton, Washington, two of the other officers from my submarine, my wife and I did precisely this and went to the movies to see "Revenge of the Nerds". The girl at the ticket counter was laughing so hard she almost couldn't sell us the tickets. When she asked what we wanted, we said "Purple Rain", which was also showing. At the end of the movie, we went to the front of the theater and waved to all the people in the audience.

Draw a dark circle around one eye and pin a shape of the letter "P" on you. Ta da....black eyed pea.

Sorry you have to dress up. Thankfully I never had to.

So I work at a fairly large company - fairly corporate. Having said that, because much of our staff is right out of school they dress up for Halloween. My manager told me that dressing up is "required" and that it would look bad for anyone who does not dress up.
I think management is strongly hinting that you should dress up as one of them.

Or at least make it extremely clear to your co-workers that your costume is your interpretation of how management looks to the workers...

Back
Top Bottom