I-photo, Macbook grouping question

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Previously, when I loaded pics from camera to Macbook, photos were grouped by upload series......so if I uploaded 2x, I got 2 groups of pics. Today when I did it, the same way, same SD card in camera, Mac decided it would decide the groups and looks like every day is a separate group unless the time between pics was short enough.....then it would put them in a single group even tho they were taken on separate days. Why the change? I don't believe I've updated any software. I guess the annoying part is that if you took 1 pic/day for an extended period, all the separate groupings means more
scanning to find stuff.

That was a recent update. iPhoto used to organize by "Rolls" (each import), it now organizes by "Events" (pictures taken close together in time). You can adjust some parameters in Preferences.

Also, if you choose "Last Import" from the side bar, you could then merge all those into one event (under Event menu) if you want. They probably should have kept a "group by import date" as an option. You can also merge past events after the fact, but that would be a little more work. I'm finding the Events to work pretty nice for me though, but people work in different ways, they really need to make it a bit more configurable, but those other options are workable.

-ERD50

You can adjust some parameters in Preferences.

Also, if you choose "Last Import" from the side bar, you could then merge all those into one event (under Event menu) if you want.

-ERD50

Thanks for the info, ERD50. Sorry for the dumb questions but....
2) when do you choose "Last Import"? are you talking about during the import process? If the pics are already in the Mac, too late? or still
possible........I think if I choose "Last Import" now, it does bring up all
of the last import, but because it is in "expanded" form with the first pic
and also all the other pics in the group, there are so many groups because
of the single pics, that you can't see all the pics w/o scrolling down.
Workable, I guess, just a bit annoying.
edit to add: after I make another import, the previous import won't be
able to be grouped any longer?

1) What screen are you starting from when selecting Preferences?
Open i-photo first? or :confused:?

Thanks.

ERD,

Encouraged by your comments, I was poking around doing the same thing I
had tried before. For some reason this time it worked! I grabbed the
small groups of 1 and moved them into the small group above. Previously
I could move them but they wouldn't stay there but this time they did.....
and even after I closed i-photo and returned , the fix stuck. Thanks for making be believe it was possible.

I can't recreate everything without actually doing an import and then messing with the events that I want, which I don't have time for tight now, but...

"Last Import" should work at anytime, but will only apply to the last group of imported images. Yes, they may show up as separate events, but just click one pic, then "Edit/Select All" and then "Events/Merge Events" will tie them together into a single event. That should be like the "Roll" you are accustom to.

For older imports, again just select the pics you want, then "Merge Events"

Preferences for iPhoto - so yes, load iPhoto, then choose Preferences under the iPhoto menu. I just noticed that under "EVENTS" in preferences, you can select "one event per week" which should work better for you. Too bad they don't include a "one event per import", that would be what you want.

edit - OK, I see you found some answers on your own - good work!, but try the "one event per week", that should make life easier for you for future imports.
-ERD50

I kinda like it when iPhoto splits things up by day - very handy when importing pictures so that I can remember when I did or saw whatever it is that I'm importing. Especially handy when my imported pics might spread back over a month or more....

Back
Top Bottom