I think I'm about to start an ER van life (SUV life?) - checklist question

Rather than buying ice in whatever form we just freeze plastic water bottles and use those to keep things cold. Then we have drinking water. The bottles won't bust when frozen.

Rather than buying ice in whatever form we just freeze plastic water bottles and use those to keep things cold. Then we have drinking water. The bottles won't bust when frozen.

Clever! But how do you freeze them on the road?

Did something like this upon graduation from University. Threw a bunch of stuff in the back of a station wagon - anyone remember those? - and drove 4000 miles in less than 10 days, sleeping in the back. Now-of-days, no way. I w*rked hard to save enough to stay in mid-level motels as I travel.

Biggest issue I would see (in the what could possibly go wrong department) - break ins. Here in paradise, leaving ANYTHING visible (and sometimes not visible) invites a smash and grab. I've pulled into "scenic" points and seen broken side-glass debris from as many as 3 cars in a row. Hopefully, staying in "camping" areas leads to less of this behavior but it could really mess up your travel momentum - just fixing a window. A loaded, unattended car just might attract a break-in. Contingency plans are in order unless you always park in the right places. It seems to be a different world than when I did this 50 years ago. YMMV

Did something like this upon graduation from University. Threw a bunch of stuff in the back of a station wagon - anyone remember those? - and drove 4000 miles in less than 10 days, sleeping in the back. Now-of-days, no way. I w*rked hard to save enough to stay in mid-level motels as I travel.

Biggest issue I would see (in the what could possibly go wrong department) - break ins. Here in paradise, leaving ANYTHING visible (and sometimes not visible) invites a smash and grab. I've pulled into "scenic" points and seen broken side-glass debris from as many as 3 cars in a row. Hopefully, staying in "camping" areas leads to less of this behavior but it could really mess up your travel momentum - just fixing a window. A loaded, unattended car just might attract a break-in. Contingency plans are in order unless you always park in the right places. It seems to be a different world than when I did this 50 years ago. YMMV

Ugh, not looking forward to break ins... But I kind of figured there will be all kinds of dangers, problems and obstacles I'm going to have to deal with. The first one being: I haven't been driving a vehicle for 25-30 years so now, every time I get behind the wheel, I feel like I just got my permit :facepalm:. I never needed a car since I live right across the Hudson from WTC in Manhattan and always worked in the city.

Step one: re-learn how to drive and step two: if bad stuff happens along the way, I'll deal with that then. I almost never worry ahead about what could happen because 99% of the time either nothing or something I didn't expect does. I prefer dealing with known situations and facts on the ground (but obviously I insured myself to the teeth :cool:).

For a shower you can take a regular 1 gallon garden sprayer, take the long nozzle off, add a longer hose if you want, then heat some water, wet down, soap down, rinse off. Simple, cheap and easy solution.

That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Cross county by van.

My son is not retired but he essentially does what you want to do. He drives one of those pilot cars that accompany oversize loads. His vehicle is a Kia Sedona that we tricked out with a bed, storage and kitchen. He has been all over the country taking a week or so between jobs to explore. In November he spent a week at Joshua Tree NP and in January, he bought a pair of used cross county skis at a thrift shop in WI and spent a few days skiing in a state park.
You might be surprised but he cooks totally with electric. He uses an inverter and runs the car when he cooks. During the last redo of the van, we ditched the 2 burner propane stove and added a second battery. He uses this small 750 watt Japanese style cooker, plus a small single-burner butane stove for a back up.
I say go for it. It will be a great adventure. Do get a NP pass; mine paid for itself on the first trip out west.

Back
Top Bottom