I want my antibiotics!

So you didn't have ANY of those OTC things around the house? You seem to have bought the most expensive versions of everything, too.

Tamiflu is a waste. It says right on the package insert that studies shows it reduces from flu symptoms from 7 days down to 5 days. It must also be started within the first 24 hours of onset of symptoms. No one goes to their doctor in the first 24 hours.

I had a flu shot which I recommend and my symptoms are not bad at all which I attribute to my flu shot. Yes, flu can kill. I am not one of those folks that flu kills.

Full disclosure: I sit on a NIH-sponsored scientific working group on infectious diseases. In my former job, almost every major pharmaceutical company was a client.

You need a new physician if you have been in terrible pain for a month.

No I did not have any of the OTC stuff on hand, it had been years since I even had a cold. I bought all the stuff at Walmart, tried to get generic when I could.
I am feeling much better since I started the antibiotics, thank you for your concern.

Maybe my physician ( who I otherwise really like and have been going to for years) has gone overboard on this anti-antibiotic thing. How would you suggest I look for a different physician that would be more liberal on antibiotics? I am 66 and on Medicare. Maybe I could keep my current physician for most stuff and find a new physician for antibiotic things? How would I find such a doctor? Going to Urgent Care does not work, I tried that and they would not prescribe antibiotics either.

So you didn't have ANY of those OTC things around the house? You seem to have bought the most expensive versions of everything, too.

Tamiflu is a waste. It says right on the package insert that studies shows it reduces from flu symptoms from 7 days down to 5 days. It must also be started within the first 24 hours of onset of symptoms. No one goes to their doctor in the first 24 hours.

I had a flu shot which I recommend and my symptoms are not bad at all which I attribute to my flu shot. Yes, flu can kill. I am not one of those folks that flu kills.

Full disclosure: I sit on a NIH-sponsored scientific working group on infectious diseases. In my former job, almost every major pharmaceutical company was a client.

What difference does it make if you had it "laying" around the house, you still have to pay for it don't you? This was a pretty cold hearted post IMO...why exactly do you feel the need to challenge the OP?

That's what I was thinking. I was surprised to read that the OP has an established relationship with a doctor. I think he/she let you down. I also think you were let down in the recommendations of the OTC treatments. I don't see anything there about zinc or significant doses of vitamins (A, C and D) and I don't see anything about a significant increase in water intake. I also don't see anything about chicken soup (seriously, salty warm water is very helpful).

I would get a new physician. I understand the antibiotic concern, but I, like the OP, have noticed that they seem to work. I don't like taking them and so when my Dr. many years ago prescribed them, I asked why? She said that when I get sick (the way I was, was somewhat common to me), I get both. Basically, I think all the extra nasty fluid retention (sinus and lungs) is a breading ground for bacteria. I never heard about the inflammation aspect mentioned in a post above. Anyway, I discuss it with my Dr and sometimes we use them and other times we don't. Bottom line is that unless I'm dying, I'm not going to accept feeling bad like described for more than a week, let alone two.

Oh! I see how it is. The fish can have their antibiotics anytime they want, but the humans can't? Probably a PETA thing. Or, maybe it's something PETA should be made aware of.

On a serious note, wouldn't over use of animal antibiotics be just as concerning as human over use? Yet they can be bought and administered basically at will? That's a bit scary.
A lot of things can be bought for animals. Actually in many civilized countries medications can be bought without a prescription. I was in South Africa and lost some dental work. It wasn't convenient to see a dentist, a chemist sold me OTC codeine. It wasn't hydrocodone, more like Tylenol 3.

It's no different than most things. If there weren't crooks, I wouldn't need to lock my doors; if people were tolerant, I could practice whatever religion I wished to (or not) without fear; if people drove sensibly, I wouldn't need to obey a speed limit; if antibiotics weren't overused (in animals, people, etc.), I could get mine and get over this cold! Bad apples!

My feeling is that I never was part of the over-prescription problem,so why should they over-compensate with me if I get sick? I may take antibiotics once every 5 years or so, if that. Even when my son was growing up I was careful. I remember once the pediatrician looked him over when he had some kind of bug and said that he didn't think DS needed an antibiotic but he could prescribe one. Just to make me feel better? Heck, no.

It reminds me a bit of the opioid pain reliever backlash- way over-prescribed and now people they could genuinely help have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get them.

++++
I totally agree, in fact I go farther and believe medicine like cars and knives and other things should be available to me to buy without "permission".
I am not a child, and I have enough medicine already in the house to kill myself, or destroy my kidney/liver, yet I manage to keep it all safe and sound.

If we as adults cannot be trusted to buy and use medicine without permission, then "they" should not allow us to buy a car, as cars kill many people and endanger society.

Look at the bright side, in a decade or two enough antibiotic resistant bacteria will have evolved to make this entire discussion moot.

OP here, feeling better, still some stuffiness but the sinus headache has gone away!! Yah! I am continuing to take the antibiotic. I was talking to friends in the medical field and they say there has been some recent research published that concludes that antibiotics should NEVER be prescribed for a sinus infection! So the reluctance of the 2 doctors that I saw to prescribe an antibiotic may be the new trend. Yikes!

I don't know about the fish antibiotics...I would have to be really desperate (maybe I was!)

Some one suggested drinking more water, and I have been doing that, don't know that it has helped except I have to go to the bathroom a lot more. I have also been eating tons of chicken soup, I can't tell that it helped but I like the way it tastes.

One thing that did seem to help with stuffiness and I will continue to use is the Nettie Pot. I actually used the Neil Med squirt bottle. It does reduce stuffiness at least temporarily.

Regarding vitamins for a sinus infection, I did a little research and could not find any definite recommendations on that issue. Does anyone have any specific recommendations of vitamins for a sinus infection?

Glad you are doing better and I wrestle with sinus issues from time to time. Sometimes they seem to linger forever.

I take an multi and an eye health vitamin daily..they contain some zinc which I feel is helpful against virus infections. I live in the North and take extra Vitamin D during the wintertime. Extra fluids help your body wash out virus faster..Drink until you think you are floating. I take the time release Mucinex religiously until my symptoms are gone. I also have a personal steam inhaler (Vicks brand) for when I really feel plugged up. A warm shower with the water running on your head and face can help a lot..

If you have very dry air in your house either a cold mist or a warm mist vaporizer can be very helpful. You have to be careful with the Sudafed and nasal spray because if you use it too often, it can actually make things worse.

There has been a very nasty cold bug going thru here as well. It got spread by some family members at Thanksgiving. I used the above methods and did not get a sinus headache and only had one night of bad sleep. But I am very proactive,

because once you've had a horrid sinus issue, you really want to avoid it happening again.

Before all you vitamin bashers step in, I feel this works for me.. the D and zinc and in no way imply it's the gold standard.

Last edited:
One thing that did seem to help with stuffiness and I will continue to use is the Nettie Pot. I actually used the Neil Med squirt bottle. It does reduce stuffiness at least temporarily.

+1 on netti or the bottles. Much better then OTC nose spray.

Where I live, The Dr has to show up within an hour of calling the insurance company, he gives you an exam and writes the script. The pharmacist is downstairs in his van with every kind of drug. You hand him 15 bucks and the script and he hands you everything you need for 10 days. Easy peasy!

If you're sick for a few days and a doctor does nothing to alleviate your pain or discomfort, go find a better doctor.

I get in the same day, and my doctor will sometimes give me a Rocephin shot and a prescription. If I'm coughing, he'll prescribe a cough syrup (that Medicare won't pay for) I usually improve immediately.

My dr will see me same day too but I may have to sit for 3 hours trying to get worked in. If I have a cold/flu, I head to a nearby walk-in clinic with a nurse practitioner and she gives me any shot/prescription that I need. In and out in an hour.

Fortunately my doctor’s office has several nurse practitioners (one for each of three doctors) and it’s easy to see them same day if ill. They even have Saturday hours.

NetiPot/sinus rinse works wonders for any cold/allergy.I use one frequently.
Just make sure you use sterile, distilled water or cool, boiled tap water.

Over a month ago I caught a cold. In about a week it morphed into a sinus infection (I had one about 4-5 years ago so I knew what it was) I felt awful and it was the weekend so I went to the urgent care. The doctor at the urgent care would not prescribe antibiotics because I was not sick enough--had not had it long enough, only a week, no fever, otherwise healthy, etc. The urgent care doc told me a bunch of OTC medications to try. I bought them to a tune of about $100. I used the OTC for another week, felt worse. So I get an appointment with my GP. Same story--will not prescribe antibiotics, it had only been 2 weeks, no fever, not sick enough, too many antibiotics are being prescribed.

Another week goes by (I have been sick now for 3 weeks). Still no temperature but I feel even worse. I have used every OTC medication recommended, spent a lot of money on them. I am at my wits end. I go to see my doctor again and I feel so bad I am sobbing in his office and I tell him I am NOT leaving without an antibiotic prescription. He finally calls in the prescription for me. I have now taken the antibiotic for 2 days and already feel so much better --almost normal. I will, of course, finish the 10 day prescription.

I realize that antibiotics have been overprescribed, there is concern about antibiotic resistance, etc. But I was sick for almost a month and getting worse, very miserable and it was obvious what was wrong with me and that I needed an antibiotic.

Are any of you running into this problem with a reluctance of doctors to prescribe antibiotics? What should I do the next time this happens? (I don't think changing doctors is the answer, I am hearing from friends that most all the doctors in this area are taking the same approach). Is there a black market for antibiotics?

If you are not trained in Medicine, I would take your Doctor's advice. Yes, you really know a lot less than you think you do!

NetiPot/sinus rinse works wonders for any cold/allergy.I use one frequently.
Just make sure you use sterile, distilled water or cool, boiled tap water.

So true, I've read of horrible things happening to people who use plain tap water, turns out there can be bacteria, protozoa, amoeba, etc in ordinary tap water that can pass into the brain and destroy it.

What OTC things cost $100? That sounds pretty fishy. I had the flu shot and have had a 100-101 deg fever for the past 4 days. It's the flu and I didn't go see a doctor and I didn't spend $100 on ibuprofen either.

I spent well over $100 (probably closer to $200+) on OTC meds over the course of several weeks when I had something similar in January - and that was buying Kroger brand knock-offs of the cough meds (7 bottles), nasal spray, cough drops, Kroger-branded Nyquil, Dayquil, decongestants, etc.

Spending $100+ on OTC meds when you are "really" sick (as I was..almost 4 weeks because like OP, Doc would not prescribe antibiotics - and when I FINALLY got them, I was better in days..) is trivial to do..you're almost guaranteed to spend $100+ on OTC meds if you are even halfway sick nowadays.

Totally agree w/OP - the hesitation to prescribe antibiotics is causing a whole lot of people a whole lot of (unnecessary, IMHO) misery that could easily be avoided.

Fortunately my doctor’s office has several nurse practitioners (one for each of three doctors) and it’s easy to see them same day if ill. They even have Saturday hours.

Wow - you're lucky..my Doctor's office also has NPs, but good luck getting in to see any of them without at least a week's lead time. Instead, they tell you to go to Urgent Care (which of course costs 2X+ what it costs to go to my Dr - at least with my insurance). I got so frustrated last time I needed to get in I literally asked them why I even HAVE a Doctor if I can never get in..

Totally agree w/OP - the hesitation to prescribe antibiotics is causing a whole lot of people a whole lot of (unnecessary, IMHO) misery that could easily be avoided.

Please tell us what Medical Credentials that you have that is superior to these Medical Doctors? ---

Back
Top Bottom