I want to walk, DH worried!

Congratulations! Glad you pulled the plug! I also enjoyed this thread as my plans are in motion for August.
Something resonated in me when it was stated "If one of you found out you were terminally ill...", to some degree we are all terminally ill; maybe short term or long term, but time on this earth is finite.

Interesting post. We retired early at 59, well earlier than planned. So glad I did.

Fed up of the job, the hours, the politics, and the pressure at megacorp. What did it was the realization that it was not about the money, it was about the time we had left to do the things we wanted. Once we got our heads around that the decision was a no brainer for us. Fortunately we had the financial resources to make the decision.

WOO HOO!!!!! Congratulations. You will enjoy your well-deserved retirement, I'm sure. :dance: :dance: :dance:

omni

Is there any way there could be an FMLA leave in your future? Many companies have very lenient FMLA policies.

So, a few FMLA months, a month back in the office, and you're 55 and you get the bigger pension.

An aging parent who needs care, perhaps? Just trying to think outside the box. If there's a system, you might as well work it.

I see this kind of FLMA abuse all the time. From my experience more people use FLMA for time off than for what it was really set up for. The government set up a heavy tax on companies to help a few truly needy people and many more people abuse the system. They need to make FLMA much harder to take or do away with this open checkbook. Personally I rarely took any sick time and never took FMLA. This kind of work ethic lead to my FIRE. Work Ethic = FIRE

Congratulations on your decision! I too am a long time lurker, first time poster.
I think one of the things that will help you is the fact that your husband is going to keep working, so you can live off his salary and not touch the nest egg until he pulls the plug.

Wow, this DustyMom is super fast to make decisions. Congratulations!!

“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.”

Erica Jong

Or we're just nervous about doing it.

Back
Top Bottom