Idioms that Need to be Retired

Here's an interesting story about the origin of the phrase "The Real McCoy". The short story is a guy invented a better oiler for steam locomotives, which was a major (and therefore costly) maintenance item that had to be done manually, oiling the many moving bearings. He invented an automatic oiler, and the lack of patent enforcement being what it was in those days, there were many copies, mostly of inferior metals and looser tolerances that didn't work as well. So the question asked if the origin/quality of a given item was in doubt was "Is that the real McCoy?" At least that's the story according to Mike Rowe:
Didn't know that... Good story too. Still learning new things here.

Last edited:
Paying your "Poll Tax". Remember that? I do.

I can’t remember when I last heard or saw a reference to poll tax that wasn’t in a history book.
I can still remember tables setup outside of one of the big stores in town where you paid your poll tax here in Texas. Must have been in the early 60's IIRC.

EDIT: Looks like Texas stopped poll taxes in 1966.

Last edited:
I can’t remember when I last heard or saw a reference to poll tax that wasn’t in a history book.

Same here. I thought it went away a century ago. Man, some of you folks must really be OLD! :LOL:

I hope they never retire any of these idioms. I think it brings a richness to our language. And if you don't know what they mean, look 'em up! You might learn something new. I learned today what a poll tax was. I had to look it up :greetings10:

How about just stating that they need a urine sample? Followed by directions to the WC.

REW’s story was about somewhere in London, the doctors and nurses up here would most certainly be more direct. :)

Here's a couple of more.

Turn a blind eye. <---- Still hear that sometimes

He's blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. <------ Haven't heard that one in years.

How about just stating that they need a urine sample? Followed by directions to the WC.

REW’s story was about somewhere in London, the doctors and nurses up here would most certainly be more direct. :)

Got an email today, "Looking for your Next Stream?" and I thought it was going to be some prostate related spam, but it turned out to be an ad for Peacock TV.

^^^^^
But that's still current and a different "pole" :) And worth a lot more than a poll tax. :)

And they don't look ready to retire to me.:angel:

Last edited:
Oh, take one for the team!

team.jpg

adjust the antenna
carbon copy
fell off the turnip wagon
light in his loafers
don't touch that dial
itchin' for a switchin'

Gas Wars is another you don't hear much anymore.

These days people would think that means you and your friends had Mexican food for lunch.

Last edited:
Used that one for decades, still do here occasionally. Maybe that's where you heard/saw it. But I typically say, "the juice ain't worth the squeeze"

Just used this the other day...although I am not ER yet and it was in a business meeting. But it helped make my point. the Juice has to be worth the squeeze, and its not!

Higher than a Kite? These days...the "stuff" gets you a little bit higher than the kite would lol.

Make a Xerox of it
Owe me a coke (might be local saying)
Keep me in stiches
Cry me a river
Built like a brick S**t house
All meat and no potatoes
We are hosed

Here's a dime, call someone that cares
Don't take any wooden nickels
Mad as Hatter
Pleased as punch
Two shakes of a lambs tail
Sticky wicket

What is the origin of the saying that someone is getting rich at the expense of someone else?:

"He's lining his pockets."

I've picked up quite a lot of Brit sayings over the years but one that really flummoxed me is the addition of "... and Bob's your uncle" at the end of a long explanation.

The full saying is "Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt!"

Not necessarily used just at the end of a long explanation - it could be used at the end of a fairly short one too. It just means, "And that's it" or, as some folk say, "Done!" or "Finito!"

Back
Top Bottom