If You Could Live To Be 150 Years Old......

I'd like to live to 150 or 200, if I could do so with good physical health. The part that interests me though, is how I'd handle all the changes in society that would take place over such a long period of time. Taking the example of a 200-year life - if you were getting ready to meet your maker now, this means that you would have been born in 1814. Just think of the extreme changes in society and lifestyle that have taken place since then. You'd have to be a particularly adaptable and nimbly-minded person to deal with all that change, but I'd certainly like to try.
With all the complaints about the changes between Windows 7 and Windows 8 I just read on another thread, I'm not sure we are all ready for this.:cool:

I think observing all the changes in society is part of the fun. That at all the technological breakthroughs.

I've thought that's part of what science fiction writers do - explore the changes to society from a given technological change or series of them. When I was growing up self-driving cars were pure unadulterated fiction. I now think there's at least a remote possibility that I'll own one. That'd be neat!

Live to 150? Sure. But only if I can still think clearly and have reasonably good health. If I have to stay in bed connected to tubes, I'll pass.

If one could have a long life with good health and full ambulatory functions, heck I do not think any person would decline that chance.

But being barely alive with a feeding tube, wearing a diaper with skin rash, not being able to turn oneself in bed, not being able to scratch an itch, well, count me out!

I have seen or heard of a few people in the above condition, and many lost the will to live. I would.

150?

My minimum requirements for continued living regardless of number:

1 Able to get into or out of bed without any assistance
2. Go to the bathroom under my own power AND wipe my own a$$.
3. Not be a burden to anyone.
4. Go to food store and public places ie. Library, Restaurant or coffe house and enjoy a meaningful conversation.

The order is irrelevant, but be able to do all.

Else: Exit.

It seems it's more likely that the opportunity will arise to have a reasonable facsimile of our consciousness stored in a form a machine intelligence. I might give that a try. Doesn't seem like good health until 150 is doable in the near future and the questions about resources are legitimate.

... our consciousness stored in a form a machine intelligence. I might give that a try...

Then, the machine gets "blue screen of death" by a Windows 3000 bug, or gets infected by a virus, and the machine memory gets all scrambled up. :uglystupid:

No, not me. I like this life but look forward to something much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom