Independent Insurance Agents/Example

OldShooter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With reasonable frequency, posters here recommend independent agents to people who are unhappy with their insurance rates and are planning to shop for themselves. Yesterday I got an email from my independent firm and I thought it might be good to share it just so people can see how this approach works:

--------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]Good Morning, [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Will and Ryan just filled me in on what is going on. I’m going to spend the next few days looking at your options with our carriers to see what we can do.
As Will mentioned, we have seen increases across all carriers, but nonetheless I’d like to look to see what options you have. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I will be working diligently to get everything completed and finalized; please expect to see an email from me no later than Monday, April 17th. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you,
Eve
[/FONT]--------------------------------------

I might give it another shot. Tried an independent 3 years ago and couldn't (overall) match State Farm. Autos and Umbrellas came close, but for some reason Homeowners was much higher.

+1. Wouldn't trade my agent for anything. They've saved me thousands over the years. They even look for savings in other options every year when it's time to renew without my even asking.

I might give it another shot. Tried an independent 3 years ago and couldn't (overall) match State Farm. Autos and Umbrellas came close, but for some reason Homeowners was much higher.
One thing to consider: Independent agents are just like any other professional you hire. References and reputation are important. Also, agents have a favored group of carriers that they work with, so checking with a couple of them will expose your package to more of the market.

Also, a tied agent like State Farm, Allstate, etc. works for the company not for you. So you do not have much clout if differences arise on a claim. An independent agent usually represents a significant source of business for a carrier, so that agent's consequent clout has the potential to help you in disputes.

My experience with independents is that they only check the off-brand insurance companies. Every time I've gotten quotes from them one of the majors has beaten it soundly. The only place I use an independent agency is in FL where there are no major companies that will insure our home. And even there, we do better with State Farm for auto.

I had a great relationship with my independent agent when we lived in IL. He worked for the business and saved me quite a bit. I was insured by Erie. No problems or issues with two homeowners claims. Zero auto claims. No umbrella claims. Erie is, unfortunately, Not available in every state.

My experience with independents is that they only check the off-brand insurance companies. Every time I've gotten quotes from them one of the majors has beaten it soundly. The only place I use an independent agency is in FL where there are no major companies that will insure our home. And even there, we do better with State Farm for auto.

I use an independent agent and they found the best rate at Progressive which is pretty major.

Progressive is less expense if written directly with them, bypassing the agent. The product is called Progressive Direct.

Of course there is no commission, but I got value by not having to shop and they saved me money over the previous provider.

Back
Top Bottom